+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flare nuts and wrenches.

Post Likes
    Back in the olden days when I was a kid I was taught how to make a flare connection that would never leak.

Old John taught me that you should never tighthen a flare nut with an open end or adjustable wrench. One should always use a FLARE NUT WRENCH to tighten a flare nut.

The reason is that when you tighten a flare nut with an adjustable you are applying pressure only on 2 points at one time. With a flare nut wrench you are applying pressure on 6 points of the nut all at the same time. There is no chance of distorting the flare or the flare nut.

So this has always been my practice until NOW! All of these ductless split systems are coming into this country from places as far away as Mars. On the 3/4 OD suction lines they put a metric gigantic flare nut. It would take a 36mm flare nut wrench to properly tighten this nut. Ain't nobody got no 36mm flare nut wrench

The Sanyo rep. said, "Have you tried the internet?" Hmmm...geeez no wonder why I am a lowly contractor. I never thought of that!

If anyone can suggest a supplier of a 36mm flare nut wrench please let me know. Yes, I did try the internet and every automotive and AC supplier.

[Edited by benncool on 03-03-2005 at 02:29 PM]

Post Likes
    You know Ben you are the one, and reading your post, that got me bto buy my first set. We are doing a Mitsubishi job and I hadnt thought of that part yet.

I think anything that big though it might be ok to use an adjustable.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Hey Benny, you guys got a Snap On or Matco truck in your town. They would probably have a good one in the truck.

Forget the Snop On guy. They don't show a 36mm flare wrench in their online catalog.

[Edited by wolfdog on 03-03-2005 at 03:07 PM]

Post Likes
    They're also called crowfoot wrenches. The biggest I've seen is 21mm.

Post Likes
    Crow foot and flare are 2 different animals.

Post Likes
    there are flare nut wrenches and there are crowfoot flare nut wrenches

Post Likes
    Originally posted by wolfdog
    Crow foot and flare are 2 different animals.
    OK then Crowfoot flare.

Post Likes
    And then there are flare nut wrenches that are not crow foot.

You also got your pigeon toe and chicken leg wrenches.

Post Likes
    Oh Beencool, if you can build a duct tape blimp you can build a wrench. Go buy a 6 sided 36mm socket, 2 pieces of flat to make handles, and get the band saw and mig welder out.

Post Likes
    Beencool; Try scratching your arse while searching the internet, it works for me. Oh that is unless you bite your nails. I always use my 25 year old flare nut wrenches they never let me down. I think you'll be OK with an adjustable on those big flare nuts, keep your eyes closed if it really bothers you.
    "Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

Post Likes
    OK, curiosity question, and I may be wrong, but

You are talking the nuts on the condenser, right ?

Are you using Sanyo's line sets or running your own ?
    If you are running your own, discard Sanyo's flare nuts and use standard nuts from the supply house. I think, but again do not quote me, that the nut thread is the same.

I am going to look at one and check when I get back in the office on Monday and repost. Otherwise, post beforehand.

Did you go to one of UR's factory service schools in New England ? Is that where they told you about this ?

Again, Just curious...

Post Likes
    Originally posted by htg guy
    http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._%20Wrench.JPG

Pelican parts 1-888-280-7799 part # PEL-PW-OLW

http://www.pelicanparts.com
    htg guy is the MAN! I just ordered one of these "Porche oil line wrenches". It's on the way.

Now watch those Sanyo basstrads go to solder connections this year!. We always use soft tubing for the flare then we go to hard pipe. Never factory spaghetti tubing.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by hvacprodmgr
    OK, curiosity question, and I may be wrong, but

Did you go to one of UR's factory service schools in New England ? Is that where they told you about this ?

Again, Just curious...
    ????? got me on that one?

An old union pipe fitter taught me back in the late '60's.
    If he saw anyone using an adjustable on a flare nut he would throw them off the job. (mostly supermarkets.)

He gave me one little tube of blue Leak Lock and he said,"here, this tube should last you for your entire career" I guess he didn't know I would last this long. I'm on my second tube.

Post Likes
    UR has been running a series of factory service schools throughout New England and the Midwest. Not sure where and when in New England though. I'll have to checkt their events website again.

Glad to hear that you run hard pipe. Best way to do it !!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by wolfdog
    And then there are flare nut wrenches that are not crow foot.

You also got your pigeon toe and chicken leg wrenches.
    Don't forget the cameltoe!

Post Likes

Ratcheting Flare Nut Wrenches?

Imerial Eastman and Armstrong have ratcheting flare nut wrenches. Basically a box end wrench with a hinged opening.

http://www.handsontools.com/store-pr...E_3996909.html

Post Likes
    Or the 'ol handy-dandy vice-grip pliers.
    Teach the apprentices right... and learn from their questions and ideas.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in