Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

City Employee per person tax up 567%

The City Of Lynnwood, WA is not too far from me. For years they have spent way beyond their means with no checks on the city council or mayor.

Now they are way in deep debt and have decided, once again, to place most of that debt on the backs of small business.

Me thinks this could be a trend in this country.

http://www.washingtonpolicy.org/blog...e-head-tax-567
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Some politicians still can't seem to connect business with jobs, they just see business as a source of tax revenue until the business moves or goes bankrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaT View Post
    The City Of Lynnwood, WA is not too far from me. For years they have spent way beyond their means with no checks on the city council or mayor.

Now they are way in deep debt and have decided, once again, to place most of that debt on the backs of small business.

Me thinks this could be a trend in this country.

http://www.washingtonpolicy.org/blog...e-head-tax-567
    Maybe they should look at trying to recoup some of the money from the abusers of the system.Oh hang on that won't happen will it!
    "Who am I? I'm the unsilent majority big mouth!" - (Paulie in Rocky 4)

My brother (Don't worry he is the real conservative one of the family, even helping our right wing party during the election) took a look at companies and their financial figures a few years back. On average local businesses were doing $100,000 in business per employee. This was from businesses between 10 and 100 people. So while nobody likes to tax businesses they are a legitimate source of income for a city as the business benefits by services the city supplies.

According to the Washington Policy Center, employee head taxes in the Puget Sound region range from $55 to $100. Renton charges $55 per full-time employee, Kirkland’s head tax is $100. Redmond charges $90 based on 1,920 hours, what the state considers the average number of hours a full-time employee works in a year.

“In one sense, Lynnwood’s increase in the employee fee could be construed as a reaction to market prices elsewhere,” said Carl Gipson, director of the Washington Policy Center. “But this is a large and sudden increase in a short amount of time.”
    http://www.enterprisenewspapers.com/...12089848/0/ETP

So looking at what the businesses in the region pay in simular taxes it seems Lynnwood businesses were getting off cheap.

it doesn't really matter now does it. This crap is going to continue til the American public wakes up and votes these morons out of office.
    LOVE has four letters

So does BEER, DEER,GUNS AND FISH

Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    http://www.enterprisenewspapers.com/...12089848/0/ETP

So looking at what the businesses in the region pay in simular taxes it seems Lynnwood businesses were getting off cheap.
    Printer
    No kidding. You have to be related to Peter Pan!

Go back and read the entire article and you can see over and over again business owners who are saying they are already having problems staying in business and all you can say is they have it made compared to other.

I work in and out of that area and have a ton of customers who have building that have been mostly empty for about two years now.

I'll be sure and tell them that they should consider themselves lucky as compared to all the other areas also being driven out of business.

And from the horse's mouth:

“It’s not just the one tax, it’s the combination,” said Jim Morino, owner of Acura of Lynnwood. “Raising the (utility) taxes, the property taxes and adding the car tab fee together will cost my business more than $16,000 next year. This comes at a time when sales are off 30 percent.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.

Printer
    No kidding. You have to be related to Peter Pan!

Go back and read the entire article and you can see over and over again business owners who are saying they are already having problems staying in business and all you can say is they have it made compared to other.

I work in and out of that area and have a ton of customers who have building that have been mostly empty for about two years now.

I'll be sure and tell them that they should consider themselves lucky as compared to all the other areas also being driven out of business.

And from the horse's mouth:

“It’s not just the one tax, it’s the combination,” said Jim Morino, owner of Acura of Lynnwood. “Raising the (utility) taxes, the property taxes and adding the car tab fee together will cost my business more than $16,000 next year. This comes at a time when sales are off 30 percent.
    I read the rest of the article. Funny how in the same article you can get two sides of a story, something missing in your original link. If I am Peter Pan you are Captain Hook. You never once mentioned that others in the region are paying the same range of employee tax. Guess that would take some of the outrage out of a 500% increase. Mind you given the tax bill of $16,000 as mentioned, if Mr Morino had ten people working for him and he had to pay an additional $70 per person that would be an increase of 0.44%. Sure businesses are hurting now but do you really think cities are getting the same revenue as they did three years ago? Everybody is down.

If you think it is bad now, just wait till your federal government finally bites the bullet and reduces the spending it does that trickles down to the state and the city level. That is how our federal government got its finances in order. The piddly 0.44% will look just peachy when that happens. You can cry on my shoulder, I am sure to understand being that I already lived through it.

Actually, I could be captain Hook if Tinker Bell in involved.

I posted one article about one local district who are raising one tax over 500%. You have taken it into a comparison of other districts. What does this have to do with anything? Huh?

If I was addressing other districts costs on a comparative basis I would have addressed that directly in my post. Please go back and see if you can see where I did that.

I did not post anything about comparing all the individual costs of various districts in this area. I'm sure that even if I did you would start comparing districts here to districts in New Jersey or somewhere to the extent that we don't have it so bad as compared to the New Jersey area theme.

Where do you get off in extending one's post so as to fit your needs of being under the spot light of being right?

Even in your extended and unasked for example you have not taken into consideration the total comparisons of all the districts of which you are attempting to bring into this subject. How can you intelligently address this issue when you have not brought into consideration each and every cost of each and every district you allude too?

Do you even know that each and every district have different city taxes, sale tax rates, non-RTA taxes or RTA taxes, different fees for different business users and uses, different schedules for types of businesses...I could go on.

Anyway, Happy New Year.

Its funny how they say they are doing it to keep from laying off police and firefighters.

Our city has whole family trees working for it. The guys who do the street sign installation and maintenance for our town are all related....daddy..his boys....his brother....

We have a convienience store in the middle of town where every stinking day you can see the parking lot full of city vehicles...sitting there for hours....

Big dump trucks...small trucks......its the guys who do the road work and the brush collection. They serve sandwiches and stuff in that store but you cant get a seat for the city guys camping out there all day long cause their supervisors wont let them come to the shop when out of work to do.

County is the same way.....and Im sure that many other areas of the country are the same......county and city workforces full of excess personnel because everyone has a brother or son or daughter or nephew on the payroll.

But it is funny how they will mention the police and fire department.....trained employees who actually have a purpose and actually earn their pay.

They do that to scare people into going along with the tax hikes.
    YOU SHALL REAP WHAT YOU HAVE _______ SOWN

The problem is not who is or isn't paying their "fair share". The problem is politicians who think that the public or businesses or whoever has bottomless pockets.
    It's a mechanical device, designed by humans, built by humans and operated by humans. What could possibly go wrong?

Actually, I could be captain Hook if Tinker Bell in involved.

I posted one article about one local district who are raising one tax over 500%. You have taken it into a comparison of other districts. What does this have to do with anything? Huh?

If I was addressing other districts costs on a comparative basis I would have addressed that directly in my post. Please go back and see if you can see where I did that.

I did not post anything about comparing all the individual costs of various districts in this area. I'm sure that even if I did you would start comparing districts here to districts in New Jersey or somewhere to the extent that we don't have it so bad as compared to the New Jersey area theme.

Where do you get off in extending one's post so as to fit your needs of being under the spot light of being right?

Even in your extended and unasked for example you have not taken into consideration the total comparisons of all the districts of which you are attempting to bring into this subject. How can you intelligently address this issue when you have not brought into consideration each and every cost of each and every district you allude too?

Do you even know that each and every district have different city taxes, sale tax rates, non-RTA taxes or RTA taxes, different fees for different business users and uses, different schedules for types of businesses...I could go on.

Anyway, Happy New Year.
    Actually you proved my point in bringing up the $16,000 dollar tax bill. The 500% fee increase seems astronomical on first look but then if you see it in relation to the overall tax bill the increase does not look as large. The whole point I brought forth, and one that I do on many other threads (nothing personal), is one of spin. As I said before the originating article was more balanced in how they dealt with the subject. The followup article decided to pair it down to one thought, not to inform the reader but to manipulate the reader. That is not news that is propiganda.

Lets face it, the city can either get X amount of dollars by increasing one fee or another. They can raise a miniscule fee in line with others as a pretext or they can add a fraction of a percent increase on a major tax already paid. Either one will get them the same place and take the same amount from the businesses. As you said I provided no comparison between the total tax bill between your district and that of others, mind you I can say the same. Have you shown the differences in costs to businesses in the districts and that yours is being hard done by due to this increase? Don't worry you do not have to, just making a point.

Yesterday I did look at the financial information on the city's web site and the wage component has a marked increase from five years ago to the current budget. Either there was an increase in services that is not at first glance apparent or the city's employees are doing pretty well. This when the city also states that they are keeping the payroll down by keeping a number of vacant positions unfilled. If wages increased at those rates in my city someone's head would be on a platter.

You are right you did not add the information from other districts, or even information from the originating article. Sorry to offend you in bringing in information that you did not supply to use in selling your side of the story. By your reasoning we should not bring in any additional information as to contradict the original poster's position. I guess we should all just applaud and not look beneath the surface of a story. That would be the polite thing to do I guess.

By the way, since a kid I have had a thing for Tinkerbell also.

Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    Actually you proved my point in bringing up the $16,000 dollar tax bill. The 500% fee increase seems astronomical on first look but then if you see it in relation to the overall tax bill the increase does not look as large. The whole point I brought forth, and one that I do on many other threads (nothing personal), is one of spin. As I said before the originating article was more balanced in how they dealt with the subject. The followup article decided to pair it down to one thought, not to inform the reader but to manipulate the reader. That is not news that is propiganda.

Lets face it, the city can either get X amount of dollars by increasing one fee or another. They can raise a miniscule fee in line with others as a pretext or they can add a fraction of a percent increase on a major tax already paid. Either one will get them the same place and take the same amount from the businesses. As you said I provided no comparison between the total tax bill between your district and that of others, mind you I can say the same. Have you shown the differences in costs to businesses in the districts and that yours is being hard done by due to this increase? Don't worry you do not have to, just making a point.

Yesterday I did look at the financial information on the city's web site and the wage component has a marked increase from five years ago to the current budget. Either there was an increase in services that is not at first glance apparent or the city's employees are doing pretty well. This when the city also states that they are keeping the payroll down by keeping a number of vacant positions unfilled. If wages increased at those rates in my city someone's head would be on a platter.

You are right you did not add the information from other districts, or even information from the originating article. Sorry to offend you in bringing in information that you did not supply to use in selling your side of the story. By your reasoning we should not bring in any additional information as to contradict the original poster's position. I guess we should all just applaud and not look beneath the surface of a story. That would be the polite thing to do I guess.

By the way, since a kid I have had a thing for Tinkerbell also.
    Good morning.

Talk about your spin doctor. A simple situation with a single example of how this local government has placed their irresponsible spending on the back of the average business owner within their district and you are now bringing in financial reports and emotional pleas.

I guess if you worked out in the field and were called on to trouble shoot a system that had lost two compressors in recent years, you would tell the customer that the system next to it had lost 4 compressor so they should feel lucky.

I use to carry a small plastic thing made way back when Peter Pan was a new movie of Tinker Bell when I was a kid.

I'm sure your next response will be about Tinker Bell's family and extended circumstances of her local governments financial sheet.

Good morning.

Talk about your spin doctor. A simple situation with a single example of how this local government has placed their irresponsible spending on the back of the average business owner within their district and you are now bringing in financial reports and emotional pleas.

I guess if you worked out in the field and were called on to trouble shoot a system that had lost two compressors in recent years, you would tell the customer that the system next to it had lost 4 compressor so they should feel lucky.

I use to carry a small plastic thing made way back when Peter Pan was a new movie of Tinker Bell when I was a kid.

I'm sure your next response will be about Tinker Bell's family and extended circumstances of her local governments financial sheet.
    No, actually I would like to add the increase in homeowner taxes though. Forgot to mention that in the previous post. Not like they are only milking poor defenseless business owners.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast