Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: oil tank code

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Does anybody know the state code for Massachusetts concerning oil tanks? Someone at FW Webb said that tanks with the oil line coming from the side of the tank is illegal in Mass, it has to be coming from the bottom. The code is vague about this.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    New Hampshire
    It sounds like a ploy to sell new tanks.
    All the new ones for the last 5 or so years have had the tap on the bottom. If he means you have to replace an existing tank because the tap is on the end(near the bottom) then thats just B.S.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Tanks in Massachusetts need to be UL 80 approved. That means the supply line needs to come from the bottom of the tank. If the tank is existing to a home now then its not a problem but for new installations you need the new UL 80 tank. If the tank is outside then you need to suck the oil from the top of the tank and PLUG the bottom tapping. They dont even allow a valve to draw off water.

    The tank should actually have UL 80 stamped right on it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Since we're on the subject of general state codes, where can I find the one for Connecticut? I'd like to do a line-by-line comparison for these two neighbor states and maybe include RI too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event