Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Let me explain my dilema. I have a Rheem Seer 10 heat pump that I am having issues with. On most cold days the unit will function normally. On days like today when the temp hits above 60 and the night dips into the 30's is when I have the problems. I am not very knowledgeable on heating and air but want to gain some insight before I call the repair man. On the 60 degree days the fan will continue to run non-stop without the compressor running. I can go outside and press the reset button on the unit and the compressor will begin working again and start heating the house. After a few minutes the compressor will stop again. I can keep repeating the reset button but I dont know the damage I am doing to the compressor or what safety issues are involved when I keep overriding the shutdown. Any ideas on what could be causing the compressor to stop while the fan continues to run? My first thought is the freon.....I remember back in school that pressure is proportional to temperature so maybe I am either over/undercharged on freon. Just a guess....... Thanks for any advice. I just dont want to get the runaround when I call in the service request.

Thanks,
    Jeremy

Jeremy I sincerely hope you can find a good company to service your system. Trust is a major factor with me and I always try to educate my customer as to how their equipment works, what the problem is, and what the options/consequences of repair strategies. Ask around at work to see if someone has been doing business with a company they trust. Here in Colorado we have a large number of Heating/A/C contractors and customers go by word of mouth to find someone they can trust. The good technicians who frequent this site could make some mighty fine guesses as to the problem, but having a tech on site with the proper diagnostic equipment is crucial.

You are resetting the high pressure switch, which could be weak. Your evaporator coil could be dirty and blower wheel dirty, dirty filter, return air big enough? Possibly overcharged. Does the reversing valve shift all the way when you switch it from heat to cool? May be stuck or sticking halfway.

These are some of the things you can check yourself if you have the tools.

Does it run ok in the cool mode? That should have been the first thing I asked.

Oh yeah, the most obvious one--- Is your indoor blower running?

Liquid line drier could be stopped up. Make sure it is a bi-flow drier. It could be stopped up one way and not the other.

Good luck!!

[Edited by wasp on 02-21-2005 at 10:50 PM]

sounds like you could have a problem with you outdoor metering device. It may be restricted and causing pressure problems, need more info, does it shut down right away or ? ? this could be a low or high pressure problem.... tell us more..

wasp is on the right path, but tell us more

Dave, who? Me?

The air filter in it is brand new. The compressor will run anywhere from 5 mins to all night once I hit the reset switch. It seems to be related to the daytime temperature. I havent tried it on cool mode; haven't even thought to check that. Just on heat..... The blower seems to work fine. It continues to run continuoulsy even after the outside unit has shut down. It really puzzles me. I'm not here to try to fix it myself. I would have no clue how or the tools to begin on that. Just wondering if it may be something simple.

No its not probably simple.

You should call for service. It could be several things. 1. Lack of airflow (blower, capacitor, ductwork, filter, dirty indoor coil, registers closed etc.)
    2. Mismatch equipment (indoor coil not rqated with outdoor coil).
    3. Moisture or non-condesnables in system
    4. Restricted circuit in the indoor coil (maybe from point3)

check for stuck defrost temp. sensor
    I don’t always drink beer, but when I do I prefer Dos-Equis. I am the most interesting man in the world. Stay thirsty my friends.

How do you check for the frozen defrost temp sensor???

Unhappy Clean the coil..

Turn off power to outdoor unit and clean it.Wash coil with water...Make sure the thermostat is off/power is off.
    Make sure that your thermostat is set on Auto.
    Look at the filter/blower is it dirty?

DO NOT/ Reset the pressure switch if this problem continues.

Look in the phone book under Rheem dealers and call for service..
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Originally posted by myersjeremy
    How do you check for the frozen defrost temp sensor???
    You dont, Thats a service guys job but in your case probably not the problem.

dont forget "static regain"
    I don’t always drink beer, but when I do I prefer Dos-Equis. I am the most interesting man in the world. Stay thirsty my friends.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast