Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Merv 16 vs. Merv 12 filters - opinions?

Post Likes

Merv 16 vs. Merv 12 filters - opinions?

Would like your professional opinions. Does a home environment really need Merv 16 filters? Will a Merv 12/10 be good enough? The price difference btwn Merv 16/12 is almost 3-4x. From what I've read, Merv 16 applies more to hospital environments. We're all adults in the home with no respiratory issues except hay fever during the seasons. Thanks.

Post Likes
    MERV 10-12 should be more than adequate. You want to make certain that the filters are not too restrictive to the air flow. You can have your air flow in your house tested by a TAB tech.

Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior
    Post Likes
    Does a contractor want to install a Merv 16 filter? My York DFHP had an option for a 5 " Merv 11 filter media at the furnace which is much better than the old 1" filters I had at each of 2 returns. I too thought a Merv 16 was more like hospital apps with a price to prove it. A Merv 10 or so might be more like a good home filter.

I figure that I can change it around twice a year even though they claim they might last a year or two. Checking it proved that it was collecting a lot of stuff and 3 cats doesn't help. My filter is readily available on the Internet.

Post Likes
    No.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the responses. The 5" Merv 16 came with my Lennox SLP98 install. Its not due for replacement yet but wanted to know my options. Didnt want to spend more than what is required if Merv 12 is sufficient.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by klingon View Post
    Would like your professional opinions. Does a home environment really need Merv 16 filters? Will a Merv 12/10 be good enough? The price difference btwn Merv 16/12 is almost 3-4x. From what I've read, Merv 16 applies more to hospital environments. We're all adults in the home with no respiratory issues except hay fever during the seasons. Thanks.
    With all due respect. But It is not fair for someone to answer this question for you. After all it is your health and your house.

It is like asking

"what should I choose the store-brand medication or brand name medication ?"
    "Drink filter water or tap water ?"

My only suggest is "your budget"

Everyone likes new car buy there is alway a used car dealer.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by just_opinion View Post
    With all due respect. But It is not fair for someone to answer this question for you. After all it is your health and your house.

It is like asking

"what should I choose the store-brand medication or brand name medication ?"
    "Drink filter water or tap water ?"

My only suggest is "your budget"

Everyone likes new car buy there is alway a used car dealer.
    Disagree. OP said no health issues. Why take medicine you don't need?

Primary reason for a furnace filter is to protect the furnace. Even Merv 12 is overkill for that. If your health is so bad you need HEPA filtration, that is what you should get. And never go outside without a respirator.

Post Likes
    With all due respect too, I dont think this is an unfair question. I was only asking for opinions and not a definitive answer. Some of the pros here in the trade may have had previous learnings and insight into why one should choose one over the other. And I for one never choose brand medication if store brand provides the same equivalent.

Post Likes
    With all due respect too, I dont think this is an unfair question. I was only asking for opinions and not a definitive answer. Some of the pros here in the trade may have had previous learnings and insight into why one should choose one over the other. And I for one never choose brand medication if store brand provides the same equivalent.
    medication is just an example - don't need to get all round up.

And to the owner, If you let someone to live your life for you, then so be it.

Why there are Mercedes and huyndai ?

Post Likes
    medication is just an example - don't need to get all round up.

And to the owner, If you let someone to live your life for you, then so be it.

Why there are Mercedes and huyndai ?
    You are not understanding that your analogy does not apply here. It is not choosing between two brands (but if it was, I'd be likely to pick four different colored Hyundai cars over a single Mercedes at the same cost for basic transportation). A HEPA filter and a furnace filter serve two completely different needs. There is no need for a HEPA filter, thus the question would be which is the better furnace filter brand? Despite 3M spending megabucks to own the only brand of basic furnace filters with any consumer recognition at all, it is in many cases a bad choice for the furnace, and the no-name cheap one is actually better.

If you want to talk about health (about which the OP already said he has no issues), now you are talking about very expensive systems that really have nothing to do with the furnace, other than you can add them onto an existing forced air system rather easily.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by commerce48 View Post
    You are not understanding that your analogy does not apply here. It is not choosing between two brands (but if it was, I'd be likely to pick four different colored Hyundai cars over a single Mercedes at the same cost for basic transportation). A HEPA filter and a furnace filter serve two completely different needs. There is no need for a HEPA filter, thus the question would be which is the better furnace filter brand? Despite 3M spending megabucks to own the only brand of basic furnace filters with any consumer recognition at all, it is in many cases a bad choice for the furnace, and the no-name cheap one is actually better.

If you want to talk about health (about which the OP already said he has no issues), now you are talking about very expensive systems that really have nothing to do with the furnace, other than you can add them onto an existing forced air system rather easily.
    Thanks for the advice.

Tomorrow, I'll will fire all my CEO in my Mercedes plant for not having the brain like yours. I'll also close all the Porche plants. By the way, thanks for saving me nuch of money by shutting down my Farari plant and sell all my Toyota and Honda stocks.

Since prices and quality has nothing do do with life-style.

Great Advice. Thanks again

Post Likes
    Thanks for the advice.

Tomorrow, I'll will fire all my CEO in my Mercedes plant for not having the brain like yours. I'll also close all the Porche plants. By the way, thanks for saving me nuch of money by shutting down my Farari plant and sell all my Toyota and Honda stocks.

Since prices and quality has nothing do do with life-style.

Great Advice. Thanks again
    You are very welcome. Since Ferrari versus Toyota, and furnace filters and health have about the same thing in common for the average American.

It turns out that the very least expensive furnace filters are best for their designed and engineered purpose, protecting furnaces! Kind of blows your pricing theory. On your side, they do nothing for health or comfort either, that is not their purpose. If you are a bubble boy, you need a special environment that has nothing to do with protecting furnaces.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by commerce48 View Post

Primary reason for a furnace filter is to protect the furnace. Even Merv 12 is overkill for that.
    I am sorry for not knowing that. Mr. pro wanna beee, SIR

Post Likes
    MERV 16 filters are helpful for those with COPD, severe asthma ect. A MERV 10 is plenty for the average home owner.

Post Likes
    Bricks make good filters too. No dust particles, smoke or microbes get through them, but eventually you need to let some air through the system.

Post Likes
    Good one!

Post Likes
    First post, glad to have located this forum. So sorry this has to be the topic ;-) Given that the filtration actually is important to a number of people as a home environmental factor not only as a protection for the system itself, but to many with allergies (my wife and kids being prime examples, --and no, they do not live in bubbles, but wind doesn't just blow passing particles away inside a house), any thoughts on at what point airflow restriction becomes an issue with Merv rating? No, I'm not asking for a medical answer (looked like a hornets nest up there, not meaning to stir that up), just Kentucky windage on what, if any, you as pros have a feel for as far as the increase in filtration at higher Merv. I notice an airflow decrease between 10 and 12. Any thoughts on the increased filtration vs decreased airflow and load on the system? Thanks for any input. Again, since I just replaced the inside and outside coils, this is a great site to browse. Appreciate you making questions available.

Post Likes
    Ah, just found note on page 2 regarding Merv 10. Still interested in input regarding filtration or increased benefit vs load or even overload of system, whatever you're willing to share.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycat View Post
    Ah, just found note on page 2 regarding Merv 10. Still interested in input regarding filtration or increased benefit vs load or even overload of system, whatever you're willing to share.
    Unless you have a new system installed and duct system designed for a MERV 16 you are wasting a lot of money and decreasing the efficiency of your system and probably damaging the unit. If you look at the face velocity and CFM that filters are designed under to achieve these ratings you will be amazed at how low it is. To just swap out a 5" MERV 8 filter for a MERV 16 you will dramatically decrease the air flow through the system.

Post Likes
    I use a Merv 8 in my new system. Honeywell filters are available at Home Depot at a reasonable price. I change the filter every six months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in