Thread: HVAC Systems

Post Likes
    I am going to be replacing two HVAC systems (gas furnace and air conditioner) in my house in the next couple of months.

Just wanted some information concerning various brands including Amana, Trane, or Carrier. After reading this forum, I understand that the installation is probably more important but was just wondering about the these three brands of equipment.

I am hoping to replace my systems with a 2-stage - variable speed gas furnace and variable speed air conditioner if my funds will allow this.

I would appreciate some advice.

thanks

Post Likes
    either the trane or carrier

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Check out Carriers Infinty control system,works with Variable speed indoor fan and can be single or two speeed/stage outdoor unit.

Post Likes
    filter changer and dash. Thank you for your replies. Just wondering about what is up with amana. I have had two contractors in my area try to convince me that they are the best because of their warranties. I plan on calling on both trane and carrier contractors but am just curious about amana.

thanks

Post Likes
    Longer warranties doesnt mean the product in better.Kia automotive has a grest warranty,and you'll likely need it.

Most brands sell extended warranties,so check the cost of their ext. warr.

Post Likes
    Gemmint, there are alot of goog brands out there. The biggest problem is in the quality of the installation job. The good soldering practices, deep vaccum pulls, and proper refrigerant charging to the system are all very important. The majority of the AC manufactures use, I believe, the four major brands of compressors that are built. They use the major brands of capacitors, contactors, relys and others components. Several of them make their own coils and the rest buy from coil manufactures. They are then assembled in their respective cabinets and painted with their companies color. I have installed just about ever brand, but not all, and have had very few call backs. Those that I have had, have been minor. Like condenser blower motors,faulty capacitors,contactors, and other components. But, like anything made by human hands, Murphy's law applies. Look for a reputable dealer above all. One with a good service warranty. Most good dealer/contractors will warranty their work for a year on a new complete system. If at all possible, I would schedule the install when you can be there to ask questions and watch the work performed. Make sure the dealer/contractor protects the service valves with wet rags wraped around them when soldering, pulls a good vaccum, and charges the unit properly. Ask questions about these issues before buying. If he has a problem with this then look somewhere else.

Post Likes
    rudeman

I understand what your saying and I appreciate your comments but how do you determine up front whether your getting a good contractor to install your equipment. I understand you can watch them do their job to ensure its done the way it is suppose to if you have a good understanding of HVAC work but most of us or at least for me, I do not understand the industry. But how do you know how well they will perform you sign thee contract. I know you can check their references but in most cases they are only going to select those customers who were happy with the service not those who were unhappy. Plus it may take some time before problems with poor installation shows up. I do not believe in most cases people really know whether their system is working the way it was intended or it is as efficient as it should be. I hate to be so negative but it seems to get harder and harder in today world to find anyone that really cares about the service they are suppose to provide.

Post Likes
    carrier or lennox

Post Likes
    Ask for references,go look at other work they have done. When I bid jobs I tell people to call my other customers and ask what they think of my work. It is your money and house do it right the first time, don't have something done that you might regret later.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it!!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by gemmint
    rudeman

I understand what your saying and I appreciate your comments but how do you determine up front whether your getting a good contractor to install your equipment. I understand you can watch them do their job to ensure its done the way it is suppose to if you have a good understanding of HVAC work but most of us or at least for me, I do not understand the industry. But how do you know how well they will perform you sign thee contract. I know you can check their references but in most cases they are only going to select those customers who were happy with the service not those who were unhappy. Plus it may take some time before problems with poor installation shows up. I do not believe in most cases people really know whether their system is working the way it was intended or it is as efficient as it should be. I hate to be so negative but it seems to get harder and harder in today world to find anyone that really cares about the service they are suppose to provide.

I agree it's difficult for a homeowner to know if they are getting quality work.Just look at the posts on this site,what HO's are saying they were told.

One way is to use a contractor that has a real satisfaction guarantee,Carrier backs their CFAD Dealers ,with one.Not saying there aren't many quality companies,that just don't realize the value of making a guarantee like this.

Or if you know a someone "in the trades",any trade they can likely point you to a good contractor.

Post Likes
    rudeman - thanks

Post Likes
    When I bid on your job, and you tell me you are concerned about the install and me doing it correctly I would offer you a longer labor warranty. Most of us give 1 year on labor. I would up it to 18 months, or even 2 years if your job had a large enought gross margin for the company. Personally I don't like home owners standing over my installers working it just slows everything down. I would give you the names of my last 2 jobs. I think in most cases bad installs are a product of customers shopping just price.Long after you paid for your system you will be enjoying the bennifits of a good system. I know it's hard to find contractors out there that will go the extra mile for you, but there out there.

Post Likes
    Roncool
    Thanks for your reply

I understand not wanting customers hanging over the workers. I do not want to do this that I believe if your paying money you shouldn't have to do this.

Although money is a consideration, I care more about the a quality job but again, not sure how you know your going to get this. I will continue reading the posts.

Again thanks

Post Likes
    gemmint,

Is that you BW?

Kelly

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in