Thread: improving humidifier performance

Post Likes
    I am visiting a customer tomorrow that has a humidity problem in their home. we installed an aprilaire 600 on an upflow lennox 80% with dual fuel and a signature stat last summer.

the stat tells them the setpoint for humidity is 45% but house humidity will not go above 30%, sq footage well within limitations of humidifier.

i have been up there once so far,(70 miles north) and replaced and shortened the bypass duct (flex) which had water in it. the system has an aprilaire 5000, BTW, which i am going to "upgrade" having been unplugged on my last visit.

i plan to change the bypass to metal, and wonder if connecting it right into the side of the furnace blower compartment opposite of the return plenum (not going through the filter again) might help. a much shorter run will be used and hopefully will get the moisture into the home.

humidifier is running properly, i have checked it out pretty thoroughly, yet am open to suggestions.

thanks

mike
    In the land of the blind the one eyed man is King! semper fi

Post Likes
    Is it hooked to a hot water pipe

Post Likes
    This is the problems with humidifiers.

Homeowners expect too much out of them.

You will never get the humidity more than 10-15% higher than the outdoor humidity.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Post Likes
    Connect to hot water. Also check for any fireplace flues that are open a flue that is open can reduce humidity by 50%.

Post Likes
    you can run up to 140 degree water in that humidifier

Post Likes
    I have a heatpump with an electric hot water heater. Because of the electric hot water heater, I'd prefer to not run the humidifier off it (expensive). Besides my hot water is only 110F for the safty of our young children.

Are other suggestions for improving humidifier performance? Are there small water line heaters that could be used just for the humidifier?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by Yellow Dot
    This is the problems with humidifiers.

Homeowners expect too much out of them.

You will never get the humidity more than 10-15% higher than the outdoor humidity.
    Actually you can if you get a steam humidifier. It is the only type of humidifier that can run independently of the furnace heating cycle....will provide humidity (up to 50%) according to what the humidistat is selected to.

Post Likes
    Anything can run independantly from furnace heat cycle. With a little rewiring, you can get that blower operating any time you want, but I definately agree with the use of steam humidifier. Just a little more pricy to run but you get what you need

Post Likes
    Originally posted by git-r-dun
    Anything can run independantly from furnace heat cycle. With a little rewiring, you can get that blower operating any time you want, but I definately agree with the use of steam humidifier. Just a little more pricy to run but you get what you need
    True True.

However, Drum and Flow-thru humidifiers really need that heat from the furnace in order to operate effectively. Steams do it all by themselves.

Post Likes
    Right, Absolutely agree.

Post Likes
    I have a Carrier Infinity 2 speed heat pump, variable speed air handler and large Carrier Bypass humidifier. Humidity is added to the house when the system runs on high. But when the system runs on low, it sems to just hold its ground and the humidifier runs for ever. This Could a booster fan be added to the bypass pipe to allow more air flow to the humidifier or would this cause other problems?

Post Likes
    hey davis,

good to see an actual humidifier guy here.

our company recently aquired an account that has a total of 8 hvac units and a wine cooler. this is a residence.

the two upstairs systems are forced air gas/ac units.
    both have aprilaire760's on them.

the 6 basement units are all spacepak/unico (high velocity) systems with hot water coils fed from a boiler.

4 of these have the aprils, one has some kind of spray and the last has none.

the customers have been complaining about low humidity levels and i was wondering what your opinion would be on hum's and high velocity systems.

by the way the wine cooler has its own seperate system with a cool mist (my term) hum. quite frankly it looks like something built in a second grade classroom.

i do not have any more specifics at this time, such as square footage, infiltration, etc...

off the top of your head, with the insufficient info given, what is your professional opinion about all of the above?

i need to add that there is one additional system (HV) upstairs, attic area, which takes care of the master bedroom on the main level. there is no humidification here. the 2 gas furnaces are in conditioned closet areas.

[Edited by billva on 04-08-2005 at 07:59 PM]

Post Likes

Wink

yellow dot I'll vouch for steam humidifiers. I just installed an Autoflo mod. 2020 220 v model on an air handler and it's great. (no offense to the Skuttle rep , but our local Johnstone rep for Skuttle coulden't give us any info at all & didn't even know they handled your line as Skuttle was our first choice) The autoflo comes with a beautiful humidistat w/outdoor temp readout and humidity reset. It runs on humity demand , heats up to 170 f. water and starts the fan and runs 'till sp is achieved. Top quality unit , customer loved the apperance and performance. It was a bit pricey but for that aplication , it and Skuttle are all that is avail. LOL Jack

Post Likes

HUMIDIFIER

Make sure your hum.is also level,if not the water runs to one side of the distribution tray and down the side of the pad not weting the entire pad.Hot water also

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in