I'm planning on building a home and have received a couple of HVAC bids. Based on the reading I've done here I've pretty much decided about the type of system I'm going to try to get. My system of choice, based on features and not brand, is for a 12 or 13 seer AC unit, preferably with a 2 speed fan. Furnace will be 80%, preferably 2 stage and 2 speed fan. DocHoliday on this site has offered his opinion that a 2 speed or variable speed furnace is more valuable in terms of comfort than a 2 speed AC in my climate (hot dry summers and mild winters rarely below 35-40). Doc, sorry if I've misquoted you!

One of the bids I received (before I narrowed down my preferred options)was from a Trane dealer and he bid me a 12 seer AC. From my reading here I understand that all brands have builder grade units and higher grade units.

I've looked at the Trane website and have listed below the features of the listed 12 and 13 seer units.

XB12 XR12 XL13I
    Climatuff Compressor
    Spine Fin Outdoor Coil
    Corrosion Resistant
    Fasteners
    Weather Guard fasteners Not stated
    Noncorrosive base pan
    DuraTuff Rustproof
    base pan
    WeatherGuard II top
    5 year limited
    warranty on compressor
    10 year limited
    warranty on compressor
    Single speed fan
    2 speed fan

My guess is that my local dealer quoted me the XB12 unit (I'll call him Monday to confirm).

Here's my question: Are there any other important features not listed above that would be of interest to a professional member?

I notice that Trane states that all models have a "Climatuff" compressor but the XB12 has only a 5 year warranty. Is the Climatuff compressor the same across model lines or does the technology differ?

Thanks very much for your assistance.

Sorry the formatting did not come across on the original post.
    Hopefully you can make some sense of the features.

I often find that sorting through the numbers to compare brands is an anoying task and reaps little benefit.They are all pretty close on the numbers (brand to brand) if you are comparing the same bells and whistles,my customers usually end up basing their decision on noise level, asthetics and the length of the unlimited warrnty,when a customer hears >limited< they often think they are the limit.

Trane 12 SEER and up usually use scroll 2.5 to 5 ton and the old recip 1.5 and 2 ton. Same compressors, just part of what you are paying for in the higher priced units is a longer warranty. The recip in the XR is covered. Some of the XR units get a slow speed fan motor which is quieter. XR has nicer cabinet, plastic base pan too. The XLi get the funky top, 2 speed fan motor and comp cover on all compressors plus 10 year parts warranty. The XLi is pricey, best bet for the buck is probably the XR12. What size are you looking at?

Are you doing dual-fuel? With those mild winters, unless you have outrageous electric costs, that's a perfect place for a heat pump with gas backup.

BaldLoonie, thanks. The plans call for a 4 ton and 2.5 ton. After reading this site I have been thinking of asking about a heat pump. It never seems to even come up from the local contractors.