+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LON Software

Post Likes
    Trying to understand LON software. Planning on attending some classes at Echelon in April.Just need some input to get rolling. From what I can gather there are at least 3 programming softwares for LON devices. Echelon - LONmaker, Distech - LONwatcher, and Circon - Network Integrator 3 Network Management Tool. We are looking at Circon line of controls - haven't made any commitments yet. What software is better? I was going to go ahead and purchase the LONMaker from echelon - it is visio based which I like. If we do go with Circon controls mainly, is it better to go with their software? Is there BASIC Programming Software a seperate application or does it go with there programming software. Also how will going with a certain software effect the monitoring software that Circon and Distech have-i.e. Circon-Visual Integrator 3 and Distech - LONDisplay.I undersand that all three with create networks, but what is the best way to go.

Thanks for the input.

Post Likes
    For basic networks, Circon is easy and fast to work with. Much faster the Lonmaker.

Lonmaker has some nice features such as autodiscovery and the ability to use their generic browser, etc...

The CirconBasic language for writing programs in the programmables is a plugin so you can open it up in all three softwares... it's LNS based. They charge a little for it, whereas Distech's programmable language plugin is free. Distech's plugin is the same way... that's why they have plugins. (unlike some OEM's who develop some exclusive software you need just to program)

Also, any one of these softwares can open up a database created in the other... I use LM and NI or NI/VI all the time. I use LM with Circon for most of my stuff.

There are other LNS based softwares... H-well, Newron... I'm sure I'm missing some.

Anyway, if you go LM get a PC with a fast hard drive and packed with processor and RAM.

Post Likes

Circon

GO with Circon real good people..
    don't take this as a hit to distech i use there stuff to..

Post Likes
    If your plan is to get into decent size jobs:
    >1000 hardwire points, It is quite normal to have 2 or more pieces of management tool softwares.
    Some of more technical features of Lonmaker can not be easily matched by most other management tool softwares, so when you get into big jobs, the trend in my mind is to have Lonmaker + 1 other management tool software.
    Be aware, if you are a totally new comer to LON, it is far more easier and fun to learn management tools such as:
    Circon's VI, or Distech's Lonwatcher or NL220 than
    Lonmaker. This may be one of your considerations to start.

Post Likes
    Where can I down load the "FREE" plug-in for Dischtecs prog controler? Its not on the LonMark site.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Thanks amigo, I found it after I posted. How shocked was I to find that they allow you to download it with no hoops to jump through! I have been wanting to try their products with my CARE5.0. Circon does not freely provide their plug-ins or am I mistaken?

Post Likes
    BTW I am forever spelling "Distech" incorrectly! LOL!

Post Likes
    jj- Circon makes you pay for the CBasic plugin. Other than that you should be able to get them. Engenuity sells ASC's so you can definitely get those. Give them a call.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in