Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Originally posted by bwal2
    Originally posted by framehvac
    This line of questioning may have been an effort to see if the applicant could "think on his feet".

However, if the applicant was not able to answer only THAT question, and did okay otherwise, I probably would have hired him.

Never let them see you sweat...

If you get the job then always let them see you sweet.
    "sweat" or "sweet"?

Two different things.
    I changed it>

I kinda liked it the other way...

I kinda liked it the other way...
    Would you just make up your mind.

Originally posted by stevehvac
    I find that what they know isn't as important as the type of person they are. I ask very few HVAC questions when interviewing. I usually take them to lunch and talk with them while we eat. That's when I find out if they are smart, responsible,caring,out going..etc.
    ..........To me, this would be more of a realistly way of hiring. To ask a stupid ass question of melting point is a cheap shot. For real, who really memorizes that kind of crap. I guess, if someone would ask a question like this, then they probably wouldn't be a good employer anyways. Just my opinion...

back when I worked at the local Air force Base they used to ask the foot stool question . " what is a foot stool?" and if you werent the one they wanted to promote you would never get that question right.

It was either one of those things you stand on or a 12" $$$$

Hey ct2 how about a "yard of flight line" or some "prop wash" maybe an "A-S-H receiver"

The melting point is something that I had to answer in school. But I still do not care what the melting point is because it is hot enough to burn you.

I would have just asked the guy , what mix he wanted to know about ,, ,,,,,they all have different melting points,,, and when he answered that,, I would then ask him if he meant plastic range or liquid, because they will be different,,,,for each....then after I spit the answers out,, I will ask him if he would like anymore training after he hires me.

My boss doesn't know much about boiling, condensing, vapor, condensate, liquid, solid mass...excuse me there.. I am expected to know about solid mass..it's either going to be recieved in the back or a little south of there!

I didn't think that it matterd at what point it melted, but how much of the roll of solder does it take to do up a 1/2" fitting???

Originally posted by fishercat2
    I didn't think that it matterd at what point it melted, but how much of the roll of solder does it take to do up a 1/2" fitting???
    Keep heating, you can get the entire roll in there...

Originally posted by fishercat2
    I heard the rule of thumb is 1/2" fitting would take 1/2" of solder....3/4" would take 3/4", 1" would take 1" length,etc.

Takes the same amount as if you wrapped it around it, a 1" pipe would take about three inches using PI if you are using 1\8 " roll

One of the things i ask to determine how thorough a potential technician is on the job. "what is superheat and how do you check it". same question about subcooling. if a A/C or refrigeration tech cant tell me those two things then he's a helper at best.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast