Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    jonm,

I agree that the BBB is not the holy grail of finding reputable companies, just one more tool to use.

Our local chapter has a few criteria to give a business a satisfactory rating. They have to be in business at least 3 years, have no or few complaints, and the complaints they had must be resolved. I looked for more information than just being a member.

When I did the research, I made sure the companies I picked had no or few complaints, and if they had any that they were resolved in a timely manner and to the customer's satisfaction. Not sure about other BBB chapters, but a company in our area has to do a little more than pay a fee to be rated satisfactorally.

At any rate, it helped to make my initial list a little smaller by reviewing each company online with the BBB.

Worse than that, the guy is probably giving solutions to people on this site
    ## + years in the field never made you a know-it-all This industry is far more diverse than you are

Smile

LOL I sure hope not. Not sure if he can run a computer while living in his van.

beltbuckle here is the mistake you are getting ready to make. You will hire a large company to send out some rookie installer that cuts corners. Then you will cheap out on the yearly maintenance and be mad as hell in 5 yrs. when your equipment has failed due to a poor air filtering set up.

The BBB is one of the biggest consumer scams going and homeowners fall for it everyday.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

So say you are correct, then what is a consumer to do? Mind you, I am not just relying on the BBB to make the decision - I am checking the companies references as well and talking to as many people as I can.

Thanks for the positive response. I can tell from that you are a leveled headed guy.

Let me put it another way. Is a company going to do the work or is a person? Your job may require two or sometimes three guys but I promise you only one of them is running the show. So by that it proves a singel "person" is installing your system. Most common mistake out there is the consumer is trying to hire a "company" not a "person".

Search out the person.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Steve,

He can only hire an outfit he feels comfortable with.
    The only way he gets that feeling is by resurching and meeting the company reps.

He's isn't allowed to interview the installer, And he shouldn't try to while he's there to do the work. That guy or guy's are there to work, not be questioned about everything, thats the homeowner and sales rep job, to have all that done before the job starts.

If he picks a company he feels good about, then the installers shouldn't be an issue.

Don't give this guy the impression he needs to badger the installer, That will cause a bad install because the installer will get tired of all the questions and work stoppage and cut corners to get out.
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

Definately don't badger the installer. Point I am trying to make is big companies are full of evil.

There now that should clear things up....hehe.

For your info the BBB is a complete joke. Pay the money every year excellent rating guaranteed. My ex-mother-in-law was with the BBB and had a hundred stories of how to "buy your rating". Referals-referances can be as bad, had a customer tell me last week that one of the companies that bid their job offersd a $100 rebate for referance phone calls. In the end all of these are O.K. but when I get bids for my home, gut feeling generally wins out.

[Edited by 1manband on 03-02-2005 at 08:56 PM]

I tend to agree with Steve, know who will physically be installing and wiring because many big companies do just send the apprentices (and yes many are very capable) to do installs while the Techs are doing service. Then 2 weeks later the tech comes on the complaint call to try and get things right.

Originally posted by beltbuckle
    irishmist, I think your comments are largely misguided.

I don't have loyalty to a service provider because I don't have a service provider. This is my first house that I have been in less than a year.
    When I am going to drop $4k-7k, I think I have a right to get 5 or 6 different bids. It is no different than buying a new car. This is not pocket change to me, and I think it would be unwise to "test drive" only one or two models.
    Good call if you dont already have a guy. You dont want to try a new company every problem until you find a guy you like. Find someone yo9u like/trust and you can stick with him,

Guys, I didnt see anything about him hiring a big company, these could all be 1 man shows

I agree with Steve. The service tech/insaller is the one that makes (breaks) the image of the company.

BBB - what a joke. One of our guy went to fix their roof top unit 2 years ago. And we are still after them, because they did not pay their bill ($2,000). They told the tech. that we can complain ??? but to whom - they are BBB after all.

Hey I saw that guy yesterday when I HAD to go to the goodman distributor for repair parts. (I normally stay WAY away from thier stuff).
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"
    "he that's walking with wise persons will become wise, but he that is having dealings with the stupid ones will fare badly" Proverbs 13:20
    "Pressure is something people feel when they don't know what their doing". Peyton Manning-superbowl MVP

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast