Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Carrier 58MVP propane furnace is giving me problems big time. Every time I set the thermostat to over 68 degrees, within an hour I get a message on the infinity thermostat that says "system malfunction". I got the 58MVP/38TDB system, it's less than a year old. The dealer has come out to reset the furnace about 4 times since November. Same problem occurs within a day or two after they come out. I have been waiting three weeks for them to come back out this last time. Now the dealer says the furnace is getting too hot and they need to add another duct into the ductwork. The furnace continues to heat but I have to manually dismiss the notice everytime I change the thermostat. Also when the fan kicks on it sounds like it is always on high.

I have a ten year parts and labor warranty, but I'm wondering if purchasing this heating cooling system has been a mistake. Or if buying from this dealer was the mistake. I don't know if the dealer really knows what is wrong.

They have been out so many times I've considered making them a key to let themselves in.

Is the furnace safe operating in this manner?

Has anyone checked temp rise, manifold pressure, static pressure etc.

What are they resetting? Off hand your furnace can be oversized causing your limit switch to trip (dealers fault if true). In addition, on propane, they have baffles you should, if necessary, build around your burners to prevent rollout, thus your rollout switches from tripping.
    ## + years in the field never made you a know-it-all This industry is far more diverse than you are

Don't know for sure. There has been from one tech that keeps coming out. He is the boss of the company he has spent a lot of time checking everything. At one point he had to delay coming back out for a few days waiting for a factory rep to advise him.

If furnace is oversized, what are my options?

Hmm need more info

Need to know temp rise?Gas press?Infinity is great stuff
    dont get dicouraged,Infinity alows to check cfm at tstat
    in system set up.Also adjust cfm.You can check fault
    record at tstat.Infinity is good but has to be put in
    correctly.Put in 4 or 5 a couple with zone system so
    quiet cant here them run.

Not recommending by all means, but a cheap and still safe way to resolve would be by removing a burner orifice and installing a plug thus lowering it's capacity. This would have to be the last burner tube meaning you'd have to relocate flame sensor one over. That again is not suggested and I'd verify if that is what it is, by checking all other stuff (gas pressure, fan cfm, discharge temp, etc)

[Edited by git-r-dun on 03-01-2005 at 10:04 PM]
    ## + years in the field never made you a know-it-all This industry is far more diverse than you are

Wink dont void your warranty

Dont void your warranty by tampering with your furnace yourself.The more I think about it
    its probably time for a second opinion.If hes putting
    you off like that he may be trying to wiggle out of
    warranty. Most warranty is only 1 year labor the rest is
    just parts meens you go to pay after a year.Infinity will
    actually help if have a kinda bad duct system so this may
    be an oversized unit.Tell him you want to talk to the
    carrier field rep and get him out there to take a peak.
    If not call another company that deals carrier. That
    should get there attention.

The company I work for is factory authorized. If you aren't happy with furnace I think Carrier will give refund. I'm not sure how long they give or how much refund though.

I might get the second opinion or get the field rep to come out, do I call Carrier directly? I have been concerned the extended warranty I bought might only apply to this dealer. I will have to get out the contract I guess. Any cost within one year would be covered by any Carrier dealer right?

As far as parts, yes, as far as labor, no... typically

I agree you need to get second opinion. The extra duct there talking about, is it supply air or return? If its return there concerned about Im guessing oversized if its supply, find another contractor. imho

I thought they meant supply, but I'm not sure. Will have to check with them. Think I'll call tomorrow. I might also call another dealer and tell them what is going on.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast