Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,793

    Proximity control for the air cleaner.

    This is a somewhat technical question. I have a cat and right by his litter box I have a nice air cleaner. I want the air cleaner come on only during his using- the- litter- box time. So need to come up with a proximity switch and maybe a relay design. I can figure the wiring no problem. Just need suggestions from people who may have good ideas about my little project. I welcome your recommendations.
    A happy and successful 2011 to all.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    1,701
    Quote Originally Posted by wannafreeze View Post
    This is a somewhat technical question. I have a cat and right by his litter box I have a nice air cleaner. I want the air cleaner come on only during his using- the- litter- box time. So need to come up with a proximity switch and maybe a relay design. I can figure the wiring no problem. Just need suggestions from people who may have good ideas about my little project. I welcome your recommendations.
    A happy and successful 2011 to all.
    well since this is ARP i would say your cat is a low life socialist with an entitlement mentality. why should he (or she) be provided with a warm place to dump and an air cleaner??? i say the cat should get a J-O-B !!
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,793
    Quote Originally Posted by smittyii View Post
    well since this is ARP i would say your cat is a low life socialist with an entitlement mentality. why should he (or she) be provided with a warm place to dump and an air cleaner??? i say the cat should get a J-O-B !!
    I can't see the political aspect to this project. It' s more like 3 fold issue.

    1. Health : Cats sniff the stuff and if I don't quickly remove the dust away from his nose it will fill his lungs faster than I want.
    2. Financial : Vet services are extremely expensive, especially lung and cancer related problems can not be afforded by a simple refer man.
    3. Technical : It has to be designed so that soon as he steps in the litter box it should come on and shortly after he steps out it should stop. I don't like the sound of that thing whole day long.

    Hey ! By the way he does have a job. He sits by the deck and watches the bird feeder outside whole day long so nobody steals it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    12,582
    Surely you have seen and heard of proximity sensors for cameras. Just get or order one and wire it up and run you air cleaner with it. Not that hard check out the first link on selection of sensors.

    You can use the VF series and that uses 120V ac. The others use DC then you would have to use a transformer and a relay with a DC coil. Better still get a cat door installed so the cat can go outside like my sister has of course she lives in Florida and rarely sees cold weather but at least you could use it a good part of the year. Thank you very much.

    http://www.automationdirect.com/stat...xselection.pdf

    http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/...FSRe7AodCwfLdw
    Last edited by glennac; 12-27-2010 at 09:18 AM.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Near Atlanta, GA.
    Posts
    14,512

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    4,374
    Just get one of those motion sensors and put it on a stand right above the box, so its sense spread just covers the box area. They will switch 120 volts, not sure of how many amps those can handle, but it seems they should handle the air cleaner.

    Roy
    "The perfect Totalitarian State is one where the political bosses, and their army of managers, control a population of slaves, who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Dacula, GA
    Posts
    12,582
    Another thing why didn't you post this in one of the tech forms but since you posted here what is the bred of your cat? We're very discriminating here on the ARP forum you know. Just kidding. Thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    Quote Originally Posted by royc View Post
    Just get one of those motion sensors and put it on a stand right above the box, so its sense spread just covers the box area. They will switch 120 volts, not sure of how many amps those can handle, but it seems they should handle the air cleaner.

    Roy
    The security ones that you have for lights outside your house should be fine. Some have a dial that you can cut down on the sensitivity.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,793
    Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Another thing why didn't you post this in one of the tech forms but since you posted here what is the bred of your cat? We're very discriminating here on the ARP forum you know. Just kidding. Thank you very much
    An attempt to suck me in to the ARP world. Something I've been avoiding like a plague.
    Okey the cat is a white trash. Kidding.. He is an American short hair, kind of white. Probably left behind by an irresponsible apartment dweller. Was about to die from multiple problems 5 years ago when I took him in. It felt very American to do so since this is NJ. I had just started my business. So they both lasted past my expectations.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    3,910
    Strap a catalytic converter to his ass.
    Governments don't tax to get the money they need, governments will always find a need for the money they get. Ronald Wilson Reagon

    Born Again KA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event