Thread: sourdough

Post Likes

sourdough

Anyone make their own?
    My Nephew got married in Oct to a woman that owns a bakery in Michigan. She specializes in artisan breads and makes a killer sourdough. She said the secret is to put the dough through two fermentations and rest in the fridge for a couple days.
    Said some bakeries are too lazy and will add vinegar to imitate sourdough.
    All this is second hand from my wife but told me detailed directions are on the way.

I started the starter or sponge a couple days ago. I probably should have waited for the directions but these came from the net.
    We'll see.
    I should have played the g'tar on the MTV. MK

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    where is the bakery? sound like a place to frequent

Post Likes
    try asking Boudin. Their bread is fantastic. Definitely don't use vinegar, that's wrong. It's all in the mother dough and its active yeast. It looks like you are on the right track. Let us know how it tastes

4. Likes hvacker liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dkalasz View Post
    where is the bakery? sound like a place to frequent
    I keep messing up. Is MI Michigan or Minnesota. I don't get how our PO gets it

But I understand. I will talk my lady to go down to the boot heal here for some chile. It makes no sense but so does life. Sometimes, it's the journey.. I don't even know if there is a cafe there. I guess I can always buy some cheese and loaf of bread. Some cervesa and a park bench. I'll be fine.

SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by proxybox View Post
    try asking Boudin. Their bread is fantastic. Definitely don't use vinegar, that's wrong. It's all in the mother dough and its active yeast. It looks like you are on the right track. Let us know how it tastes

As I'm brand new at this what you said is what my understanding is going to be. I like the expression the "Mother dough" It sounds right.
    Ya, I'll post my successes and failures. But keep trying.

SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    I keep messing up. Is MI Michigan or Minnesota. I don't get how our PO gets it

But I understand. I will talk my lady to go down to the boot heal here for some chile. It makes no sense but so does life. Sometimes, it's the journey.. I don't even know if there is a cafe there. I guess I can always buy some cheese and loaf of bread. Some cervesa and a park bench. I'll be fine.
    Mi is michigan

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Here is how important the mother dough is. If you take a look around the interwebs there are several videos about the bakery. Here in Los Angeles at Disneyland, Boudin opened a bakery which you can see them prepare the loafs. They serve clam chowder inside their bread bowls.: http://www.travelchannel.com/shows/m...-boudin-bakery

Making me hungry