Post Likes

Homemade Grill burner

I have a Old Kenmore gas grill (Was my wife's late grandfather's) That we both love. Burner's rusted out and cannot get replacement's. Has anyone ever made a new burner, say out of black iron, and then cut slit's in it for a burner, using the existing reg control's etc? Is that a good idea? or bad? Would like to save the grill, as the rest is in perfect shape.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by garychance View Post
    I have a Old Kenmore gas grill (Was my wife's late grandfather's) That we both love. Burner's rusted out and cannot get replacement's. Has anyone ever made a new burner, say out of black iron, and then cut slit's in it for a burner, using the existing reg control's etc? Is that a good idea? or bad? Would like to save the grill, as the rest is in perfect shape.
    my big mobile smoker has lp burners made with 1" black iron pipes about 6' long. they have slits a couple inches apart. if it wasn't buried in snow (I cant even find it right now) I would get some specifics for you. maybe I have pics somewhere.

3. Likes garychance liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by snupytcb View Post
    my big mobile smoker has lp burners made with 1" black iron pipes about 6' long. they have slits a couple inches apart. if it wasn't buried in snow (I cant even find it right now) I would get some specifics for you. maybe I have pics somewhere.
    I almost put your name in the question, as i figured you were the best adviser on this. You use LP correct? How big did you make the slit's and was it with a bandsaw? (I see you said LP)

Post Likes
    I almost put your name in the question, as i figured you were the best adviser on this. You use LP correct? How big did you make the slit's and was it with a bandsaw? (I see you said LP)
    i am starting to think they are 1.25" pipes rather than 1" because i remember the slits went not quite to the half way through the pipe. i used a grinder but only because i didn't have a saw at the time. a saw would have been fast because of a cleaner cut. yes l.p., i use a 100 lb tank with an adjustable regulator.

6. Likes garychance liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by snupytcb View Post
    i am starting to think they are 1.25" pipes rather than 1" because i remember the slits went not quite to the half way through the pipe. i used a grinder but only because i didn't have a saw at the time. a saw would have been fast because of a cleaner cut. yes l.p., i use a 100 lb tank with an adjustable regulator.
    Thank's man! i'm going to fix it, since it was her grandfather's it's very dear to her, and me too!

Post Likes
    Thank's man! i'm going to fix it, since it was her grandfather's it's very dear to her, and me too!
    glad to help.