Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Joel Osteen

Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    Sorry, not gonna take that old bait. See, that's the problem. Folks pick and choose the scripture that fits their desires.

Nowhere in the Bible does it say that following Christ will be easy. Nowhere at all. "Belief" is merely the starting point. True belief requires following. That's where things get sticky on a day in, day out basis.

Scrpiture says "sell everything you own and give it to the poor" too.....I don't see much of that. Take a gander at the story of the woman at the temple with her two coins....

All thru my life, I've heard people claim that "they're saved", while they lead lives that say anything but.

All thru scripture, God has a way of slapping down those who get big in their britches.

Who said that following Christ would be easy? Who's picking and choosing scripture? Please see post #64.

Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    Sorry, not gonna take that old bait. See, that's the problem. Folks pick and choose the scripture that fits their desires.

Nowhere in the Bible does it say that following Christ will be easy. Nowhere at all. "Belief" is merely the starting point. True belief requires following. That's where things get sticky on a day in, day out basis.

Scrpiture says "sell everything you own and give it to the poor" too.....I don't see much of that. Take a gander at the story of the woman at the temple with her two coins....

All thru my life, I've heard people claim that "they're saved", while they lead lives that say anything but.

All thru scripture, God has a way of slapping down those who get big in their britches.
    I believe John has a valid pint here!

I would counter that salvation after physical death is the 'by grace' thing... and salvation in our daily life in this world is the 'work it out' thing (daily choices).

Here is what happened to me: I grew up in the church... did not take it seriously. Around age 38, my life was in the tank and I was looking for a bridge to jump off... seriously. God showed me some things about Him and His love... that made a profound impact on my thinking/feeling process (in church lingo, a changed heart). From that point forward; I 'want' to follow God... and literally nothing goes through my head without the 'God question' being part of it. Do I always do the right thing... perhaps the question is: am I still human... I think we can say we are redeemed... yet still screw up. Call it a sinner saved by Grace... or a child of God that still sins. But I know I am His child... and as a loving Father, he leads me in His paths. Enough for me.

There are, IMO, some things in Scripture that we just have to believe in... regardless of whether they make sense in the world... I think they call that 'faith'... and ST Paul told us in Romans 1:17 to '...live by faith...' BTW: works for me...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by klove View Post
    I really think that a lot of folks that "argue" these issues are saying the same thing, they're just wording it differently.

Bottom line is: For by grace are we saved through faith, and that not of ourselves. It is a gift from God, so that no man can boast.... Yet ..... We are saved unto good works, and those good works will manifest themselves as the fruit of The Spirit if we are truly saved. We are saved by grace through faith, but faith without works is dead.

I simply have a hard time with calling God's promise of salvation a presumption.
    Fully agree Klove... yet I have a question:

WHO reveals this truth to a person?
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

I'm not sure any of the organized religions have it 100% right. While I'm a Protestant, I respect the RCC and fully consider them my brothers in Christ.

As for knowing the real truths...any and every religion or preacher can potentially bear false witness to us. This is why each of us should read and strive to understand God's word for ourselves instead of blindly trusting what man tells us. Odds are, we all fall short in this area, but it's something we can strive for.

I don't buy any of your guys explanations. You know no more than anyone else.

I am actually sorry I started the thread. I said I liked a guy, and the bible bangers have to start.

You know what they say - "Never discuss religion or politics". When you go against that, you get what you get. Lo siento mucho.

As far as Osteen goes, he is very likeable. He also espouses a health and wealth gospel. On the other hand, the world hates Christ, and He never said that the road would be easy or that we'd have health and/or wealth just because we choose to follow Him. We have to be very careful when we choose our friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Dowadudda View Post
    I don't buy any of your guys explanations. You know no more than anyone else.

I am actually sorry I started the thread. I said I liked a guy, and the bible bangers have to start.
    I have nothing against him Dow. Kind of reminds me of a new age type minister but without the crystals though. Feel good and all that stuff. Not Bible based. Just not my cup of tea. we'll let it go at that. Hope you had a Merry Christmas. Thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Sorry Dow but check this out. Thank you very much

http://www.worldviewweekend.com/worl...articleid=6645
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

I talked to God last night, He wanted me to pass on a messege to ALL hvac-talk.com members.

He said that if you do not use the proper "your" and "you're" when speaking his biblical language then you will not enter the pearly whites but rather will burn in Hell's fire forever more.

Hey, don't hate the messenger...

Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    It is a truth that few are comfortable hearing.
    Yea your right, most are just not comfortable with the truth...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSw...8A49A8&index=1

Roy
    "The perfect Totalitarian State is one where the political bosses, and their army of managers, control a population of slaves, who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude"

Quote Originally Posted by klove View Post
    So you're calling God a liar? Or are you saying that the Bible is not the holy and perfect Word of God? Because it is that easy - God said so.....
    The bible was put together by man, you your saying that man is perfect...

Not so, as we all know. All you have to do is read this conversation in here.

Roy
    "The perfect Totalitarian State is one where the political bosses, and their army of managers, control a population of slaves, who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude"

I just would like to think that once in Gods presense and grace, always in God's presense and grace, no matter which road led one to Him.

My second oldest brother a few years ago also broke down much like I did years before in the middle of the night as he was going through a divorce and his kid was going to be with the mother full time and it was all too much for him.

He felt what everyone feels when asking for God's help and forgiveness, just complete and instant comfort, a letting go and letting God sensation, redeeming and cleansing of his very soul.

Now Paul, my brother, started going to Church and saying "God Bless you" to everyone and all of that for a while but since has stopped being so pushy about it all and doesn't attend church any longer but still heavily rellies on God to be a part of his life and his son's too.

Myself, I never felt the need to go to church after I finally let God in, I just knew and know that I have a lot of working on myself to do and that He is there to help, nothing more, nothing less, but He is there and that is what matters.

And I will say that those of us who are not really "feel good" so to say like Joel's preachings are, but rather believers and not of any word but in spirituality and of God do not ever go around telling any one else they are right or wrong for following their own path with God.

Again, God is bigger, much, than what any book may state, much bigger than any man who interprets any book too, by far.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadhouse View Post
    I talked to God last night, He wanted me to pass on a messege to ALL hvac-talk.com members.

He said that if you do not use the proper "your" and "you're" when speaking his biblical language then you will not enter the pearly whites but rather will burn in Hell's fire forever more.

Hey, don't hate the messenger...
    I also spoke to him. He said not to believe people who can't spell "message" correctly.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast