Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Hmm Most reliable residential systems?

I am looking for some un-biased feedback from tradesmen regarding the most reliable residential split systems available today. This would include gas heat/AC, heat pump, and dual fuel combos. It's been ten+ years since I have been an active installation/service tech. I now work with building automation controls. I still perform service and replacements for family and friends, but have lost touch with knowledge of the current brands/models.
    When it comes right down to it, most of the "guts" of any given unit are made by a select few manufacturers (compressors, motors, metering devices etc). The major differences would be in the design and manufacturing of things like the condensing heat exchangers of gas furnaces, the refrigerant coils of the AC/heat pump units, the electronics, and the cabinet itself.
    I'd simply like to know which brands have the best track record as of late for reliability and lowest repair costs. Some of the proprietary components can cost more to repair than what one might save in energy during the life of the unit.

opinions are like a$$holes ..everybody has one.

we pretty much all agree that installation is paramount. then we say that the equipment doesn't matter. i don't necessarily buy into all of that..all furnaces aren't equal. are all cars equal? all dishwashers?....whatever.

that being said..... i have had real good luck with Rheem products. YMMV.

someone will be around shortly to tell you Rheem sucks.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

kenney t Guest
    yea,rheem sucks YORK is better

told ya.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

I am partial to Carrier, Payne and Bryant. They seem to be strong units. Rheem units are good as well.

kenney t Guest
    all your general purpose units are pertty much the same,it's when you get into the top of the line units you will see the differances

We all know Trane makes the best unit out there I just like how they sell them to evryone and keeps my service department very busy. Why doesn't lennox and Carrier do that so I can hire more guys. Rheem/ york are for wannabees.
    Do it right the first time.

Don't buy a goodman. They tend to have major problems right near the end of the warranty...

Ningbo Silva Industrial Co., Ltd. is Second! They make Solar units... I just can't read the instructions on how to install one, yet.

We like what we Install and we Install what We Like! There's more to it than "Most Reliable", what's Reliable in Your Neck of the Woods could be Considered Junk in mine. Mother Nature is not kind sometimes!

The Best Answer has already been posted above! A Hack can put in the BEST System Made and it will be Deemed JUNK!
    Yes, I know I Shouldn't But I Just Can't Help Myself...

Quote Originally Posted by Lambo View Post
    I am looking for some un-biased feedback from tradesmen regarding the most reliable residential split systems available today.

You aren't going to get un-biased opinions here.

Pretty much what ever brand a contractor installs, is what he'll say is the best and most reliable.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Carrier and Trane are probably the most reliable when installed properly. They are built more solid, literally. A Carrier or Trane air handler takes two people to pick it up.Goodman is without a doubt the worst I have personally had luck with. They simply do not hold up as well as other brands. A 10 year old Goodman still running is considered a minor miracle. Lennox is OK too. Rheem isnt my choice due to all the weird parts they utilize and backwards control circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by simplyrollin View Post
    Carrier and Trane are probably the most reliable when installed properly.

ROFL

They are built more solid, literally. A Carrier or Trane air handler takes two people to pick it up.Goodman is without a doubt the worst I have personally had luck with. They simply do not hold up as well as other brands. A 10 year old Goodman still running is considered a minor miracle.

Hmmm, wonder why I still service Goodmans from the early and mid 90's. Are all of them miracle units?

Lennox is OK too. Rheem isnt my choice due to all the weird parts they utilize and backwards control circuits.

This sounds like biased opinion.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    This sounds like biased opinion.
    I agree, older Goodman equipment is of good quality. We are starting to replace many 20 year old units. More to increase efficiency than breakdowns. BUT, for a while the material selection of the Goodman/Amana company has been pretty bad. I mean the units feel like tin cans. What's inside has been improved greatly. We have no problem putting in Goodman, American Standard and Carrier. York, Rheem and Lennox are good also. Everyone has their inexpensive versions and their top of the line stuff. All of which will do the job, it just depends how much money you want to spend and THE QUALITY OF THE INSTALL!!! This has all been said before. Just my humble opinion. OK, now fire away.
    Oh, by the way, MERRY CHRISTMAS!
    Last edited by havdaddy; 12-25-2010 at 12:16 PM. Reason: it's Christmas

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast