Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My 18 year old gas forced air Bryant furnace has broken and I want to replace it. I never had any problems with the Bryant but I do not want to throw money into an old unit.

The internet sites all recommend Carrier. They also say rather negative things about Goodman.

I had a contractor here tonight who said Goodman is the best and Carrier is not. He cites the 10 year parts and labor on Goodman that Carrier does not offer.

Can anyone who has experience with either of these brands post and give their opinion. Does anyone have a Goodman unit- the 92% efficient one? Can you post your opinions.
    Thanks in advance

Carrier is better quality but goodman is the best buy for your dollars. Neither one will do well unless properly installed. Make sure everything is sized correctly and both will bring you years of quality heating. I do think that goodman units are noisyer.
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

This thread should open a can of worms.
    Carrier by far the better unit. If its about the least expensive (notice I didnt say cheap ) then go with the goodman. I have had a janitrol (goodman) rooftop unit at my home for about 8 years with no problems at all. Quality install, extremely well maintained. If it was inside my home the Carrier would be there. I feel the Goodman is a rental application furnace, low cost etc. This is my opinion though, you'll get more I'm sure. Good Luck and read coolwhips post carefully his post is in a nut shell fact. Michael
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

Question goodman better quality than carrier ?????

i agree w/ millerman goodman is for rentals or in florida for the beaches because of the salt units don't last long so there's no reason to spend the money if you have to replace it in 3-5 years. if you can't afford quality of a carrier go w/ goodman it is a good unit. also the contractor that told you carrier is junk, do yourself a favor don't call him back. alot of hackers use goodman because they are not complex, don't have some of the controls a carrier does like infinity control or puron that takes training to know how to do it right.

apples vs penuts

If you are looking bare bones units, I'd probably go Goodman too. Less bucks and IMHO more reliable. If you want high end, like Thermidistats, the Infinity control, 2 stage outdoor units, etc. Goodman doesn't have anything so you have no choice.

Another thing to consider...

And, I am saying this simply as a homeowner, and amateur investment nut, who has done some research. IMHO, I would not put Goodman in a home of any significant value (and "value" is your judgement) because the Goodman family sold the biz to an investment firm this past Dec.

They are not in the HVAC biz. These kinds of deals typically result in the bought company undergoing "cost saving" and "revenue enhancment" gyrations for the acquirer to squeeze out costs, raise the value of the company and then sell it 2-3 years later.

Goodman now rolls Amana off the same lines as the Goodman product -- who would have thought this a few years ago? So, nobody knows what will happen to anything now.

And above all, go with a good installer and run all this by him if he still recommends Goodman.

We went with Carrier, but did it based on the installer's numbers too.

Re: Another thing to consider...

Originally posted by dallasbill
    These kinds of deals typically result in the bought company undergoing "cost saving" and "revenue enhancment" gyrations
    I would think they may find it hard to do this. The original owners were experts at this.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Try picking up a copy of Consumers Report they say Goodman is not the best in fact the worst of the top ten companies With a note saying they are prone to brake downs.

Originally posted by Big
    Try picking up a copy of Consumers Report they say Goodman is not the best in fact the worst of the top ten companies With a note saying they are prone to brake downs.
    The new Goodmen is alot better now its some what like a amana the bad thing is that amana is a lot more like a goodmen how could amana do that to us?

Originally posted by Big
    I read the article, but a question came to mind. Consumer Reports surveys their subscribers to find out what brand they have and what problems they've experienced. But how does a home owner know whether the problem was with the equipment versus poor installation/application? And why do some pro's here swear by them if they really break down so much more often than other brands?

Wink goodman

Goodman is good if your going to sell the house.I know
    some guys love them but I have seen to many die an early
    death.I realy stated hating them last year we picked up
    an apt complex man oh man these units are seven years old
    about 175 units and alot of work. Rentals do take a beating
    period but these things a falling to pieces.

Re: Re: Another thing to consider...

Originally posted by HVAC Pro
    Originally posted by dallasbill
    These kinds of deals typically result in the bought company undergoing "cost saving" and "revenue enhancment" gyrations
    I would think they may find it hard to do this. The original owners were experts at this.
    I would certainly agree! At 1.5 billion, they most definitely excelled at revenue enhancement... ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast