Anyone here have any first hand knowledge of Education Directs online educational website or know of anyone who has enrolled? I did a search here on hvac-talk and found a few other sites offering similar programs but couldn't find anything about E.D.

I've been working as an electro-mechanical tech for the past eight years and decided that I wanted to try my hand at HVAC. I do have a little experience with this trade, but I figured having some proven educational background would help with my efforts in landing a job. Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of attending a trade school or technical college right now since I'm working full time.

I already have some of the materials and equipment that this program offers its students (multimeter, textbooks, Universal EPA certification). But I'm willing to incur the cost of these *extra* materials if the diploma from this "nationally accredited school" is worth anything.

I figured I'd check with the pros here before plunking down 700 bucks for something that just isn't worth it. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

p.s.
    I've included a link to their website. If this is construed as advertising, feel free to delete the link.
    http://www.educationdirect.com/refrigeration/index.html

I couldn't help but notice a glaring lack of hands-on training.

I suspect you would do better by purchasing a copy of Modern Refrigeration or a similar textbook.

That's my opinion.

Any Education is better then none the hvac field online classes are here to stay in the future most schools will have classes on line that is just the way thing are now.Online classes will help more guys to get in the hvac field anyway you look at it everyone will start as a helper in most cases.

I did the Education Direct online school thing and I learned alot. But You still need the hands on training in this field.

[Edited by robhvac on 02-28-2005 at 06:52 PM]

I'm strongly considering an online hvac course also. There aren't any schools around here for this (well, there's one about 5 hours away, but it's not the greatest I've heard). I have the oppertunity to get some hands on at work every day. Lots of the guys I work with are good tech's, they can solve the problems, but sometimes I don't know if they really know why it solved the problem.

Anyway, I'm also looking to learn more about this trade, and this seems like a decent option. Ideally I'd be taught all this at work, but thats easier said than done.

Man, I'm gettin off track here... so yeah, is that school any good? I've done some looking around also and seems this is the best one I've run across (for online anyway).

So much can be purchased over the internet now but an education is a tough one. Whether it's online or in a classroom you'll get out of it what you're willing to put in. There's a lot to be learned on this site alone. As for the school you're talking about, contact them and ask for several references that you can contact. If they can't do that I would be hesitant. On another thread someone posted a link that had a lot of good info that was laid out well and easy to follow. I'll post that link below.

http://www.akcboxers.com/contents.htm

Talking Re : On line training

Check out the following
    http://www.hvacreducation.net
    I think their programs are excellent
    RAM Teaching Tomorrows Technicians Today.

So, I called the number listed on the site and spoke with an enrollment advisor. I'm a little skeptical.

Basically, after a 10 minute conversation explaining my situation, she told me there was a good chance I could finish the coursework in 3 to 6 months. Call me a pessimist but that seems a little extreme. I also asked her for current enrollment figures and why there was only one testimonial listed under HVAC on their site. She couldn't answer.

I don't know. Maybe things will be explained a little better in the mailing package they'll be sending me.

Think I'll research some of the other links provided by members on this site before committing. Possibly start sending out resumes to local businesses and see if I can get into an apprenticeship.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Originally posted by haroldr
    So, I called the number listed on the site and spoke with an enrollment advisor. I'm a little skeptical.

Basically, after a 10 minute conversation explaining my situation, she told me there was a good chance I could finish the coursework in 3 to 6 months. Call me a pessimist but that seems a little extreme. I also asked her for current enrollment figures and why there was only one testimonial listed under HVAC on their site. She couldn't answer.

I don't know. Maybe things will be explained a little better in the mailing package they'll be sending me.

Think I'll research some of the other links provided by members on this site before committing. Possibly start sending out resumes to local businesses and see if I can get into an apprenticeship.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Its all book work its not like a hvac school but it is a start you have to start some were.

I'm taking the Education Direct HVAC self-study program right now. I'm about 1/3 the way through the program. So far, I'd say the program is fair, but not great. Basically, the course has you review a lesson booklet, then read chapters from the text book Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Technology. After each chapter you take a test from Education Direct's booklet. Your test can be graded immediately on ED's website.

So, for $700 you read a text book and get a diploma. But what's the point of that. You could just buy the book and save a bunch of money. Is that diploma worth $700?

ED has instructors available to answer student questions. I don't know how good they are, as I havn't asked any questions. Another point - when I signed up for the course, it was suppose to include a series of video tapes covering theory, refrigerant charging, troubleshooting, etc. Training tapes like that are expensive, so I figured I would get my money's worth from the course. But now ED no longer offers the tapes with the course. When I asked ED if I'd still get the tapes, they couldn't answer.

Carrier has a 4 course Independent Study Program, at $125 each. You get a certificate when completed. Might carry more weight in the industry than ED's diploma.

http://www.training.carrier.com then click-on "training materials" and download the catalog.

[Edited by 747ken on 03-04-2005 at 12:02 AM]