Does anyone have a preference of blower wheel manufacturers? I'm trying to find the best manufacturer of a 10X10, direct drive wheel that's well balanced. Lau seems to be the most prevalent however, possibly, someone knows of a better, more consistent manufacturer of balanced blower wheels. This question is not for a DYI project but rather for specifying parts to be used by the HVAC contractor.

What are you trying to accomplish? You are limited at certain parts by the supply house. If this is a replacement part it is best to order an OEM part (trust me I know from experiance).
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

I think he's trying to make sure it doesn't come out of the box already vibrating. Lord knows it's happened to me.

Exactly, Irascible.

Originally posted by Irascible
    I think he's trying to make sure it doesn't come out of the box already vibrating. Lord knows it's happened to me.
    me too.you pick up the wheel,it looks fine.
    put it in and the whole roof shakes.
    what a waste of time dissasembling and p/u another wheel.
    just curious how others here check out new wheels?
    i was thinking of getting some cheap bearings,with different size shaft lengths,and spining/checking for truness at the parts counter.

I guess balanced blower wheels aren't of much concern.

Lau seems to be the only wheels or blades offered in the wholesale sector. Not sure where manufacturers get theirs made but I CAN tell you there are some I expect to run perfectly true and then there are manufacturers whose wheels I know will have excessive runout. I'm speaking of more axial than radial runout. I have a habit of reaching in and giving the blower a spin with my hand and watching it turn just prior to installation. It's a sickness from my machine shop days.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Manufaturers buy blower wheels from Lau, Hessaire, and China.

Lau and Hessaire both offer a high quality and a low quality line of wheels. Only critical use customers specify the high quality wheels, and HVAC manufacturers do not fit that description.

However, we do buy "balanced" wheels. Any replacement wheel you buy was balanced when they put it in the box (excpet maybe the ones from China) but shipping and handling sometimes tend to take the balance out. If you know what I mean.

If you are talking about specifying a new system or unit, the installing contractor cannot control the blower wheel maufacturer any more than your new car's salesman can control where they buy the steering wheel. He can put whatever tires you want on there, but the steering wheel is a "factory-only" part and comes from whomever meets the spec for the lowest price.
    Hindsight is NOT a plan!