Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789

Thread: Sad days

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    90 % of them do that Wally. My brother works on the line at Chrysler...at lunch time, there is a brutha that says he has to go talk to his bird (crack pipe). He comes back all cracked up and proceeds with his tasks.
    The only reason the guys in the vid got the axe is because they were recorded.

Phuk dup!
    sounds like they need to do some random drug tests and fire the crackheads.

but the union won't allow that to happen.

the government should have allowed gm and chrysler to close down instead of screwing the secured bond holders and stock holders of GM and bailing out the union.

i wouldn't pee on a teamsters face if it was on fire.

unions protect lazy workers and because of that prices are higher and it hurts us.

I had an elevator installed by union guys, they are hacks, oil lines not level, bashed a hole in the elevator shaft instead of coring it (I would have cored it if the would have asked), just an overall piss poor job because they are too lazy to do the job right, their excuse is, it doesn't matter what it looks like as long as it runs, now I have to put a ceiling in to cover their crappy work and pay my mason to fix their mess, I was surprised that they did such a bad install, the oil lines in the pit look terrible too, but no one sees them.

I have done work in plants of all kinds here. I have done work in actual bi3 plants and many many tier1,2 and 3 suppliers facilities. A lot of HVAC/R guys here could tell you stories I am sure.

Now understand. There is some real skilled people in these places. Engineers. Designers and sculpting teams. Testing and proving grounds guys. True educated men and women. Highly skilled. Refined. Experts in their field. And don't let the media fool you. If your one of them people, you have a job and likely it's well paying. If you did leave one of those companies, your skills are highly marketable. Many of these people however don't think they are marketable. They don't want to transition their skills into doing different types of things. They get so entrenched into the auto world they feel it's their only industry. To a degree this is true, but not entirely. I have a neighbor who is a head hunter, and he tells me, these men and women can easily find new well paying employment in other parts of the country where the skills they do have are in demand, just not auto related and it drives him nuts that he can not convince these people to branch out and take a slight risk. The point I am making is, even some highly educated people, they don't know how to think outside the box here. They will die failing here. It's such a wierd thing. like their zombies or something.

So lets talk about skilled trades. Not line workers which we all know are not. Let's just examine what skilled trades mean in a manufacturing plant for an auto company.

Milwrights, which basically a mechanical guy jack of all trades. And those guys, they will work in teams of 2 or more. It would amaze you how hard they don't work. Guys like us, what we do as individuals out on a building would take 3 millwrights or more. HVAC guys the same. Electricians and Pipefitters the same. Plumbers too. If anything gets too in depth, it's contracted out.

These guys usually can not get out of the plant and be skilled enough to find employment in the trades in the contracting world. If they are somehow ambitious and actually get to know what they are doing, their work ethic and their output would get them in to trouble on the outside fast if not their skills. Don't discount that guys like us have to be skilled and we have to work too. Real work.

Lets say what is classified as an electrician. Yeagh, let me tell you about those types. They are basically no more skilled than someone who does apartment maintenance as the junior guy, but the ego and false idea that they are as good if not better than any one in the outside world. That is always funny. They think they could be someone outside that plant.

Skilled labor in the auto world is not what it seems. And when we talk about skilled labor, we mean that we are experts in our field, we have trained, seasoned experience. And don't sell yourself short that you also know how to work and actually get the job done. Our efforts are scrutinized, and we don't go home with a paycheck if we do not perform.

Skilled trades my a$$. And every time I hear their bull $hit it just drives me mad.

mourning the past and "the way it was" will never get us anywhere. we need to decide as a nation where we want to go. are we going with free enterprise or the nanny state? will we get out of the way and let the free market grow, innovate, and cull the lazy, or depend on others to produce tax revenue so we can have health care, pensions and a pay check for little or no work? the rest of the world doesn't care which way we go because they are operating under the premise that you either work or starve. this country has led the world in technology, innovation and work ethic for many decades. we can do it again if we are on the same page. the divide and conquer strategy can only work if we let it. if we choose free enterprise then we need to be united in what we consume. wal mart only sells chinese goods because there is a market for it. no market for cheap chinese goods, they will find domestic goods to sell. there is enough oil,gas and coal to fuel our renaissance,we just lack the will to use it or starve. the nanny state is dead, it just doesn't know it. it doesn't PRODUCE anything other than dependence. the nanny state is a magnet for those who would take advantage of our open borders. if the borders are sealed and free enterprise hired only those who are citizens, then and only then can we begin to get our financial house in order. our physical security is one of the FEW responsibilities of government. let govt do what it was designed to do. protect our borders, and provide security.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

If you were a manufacturer contemplating a multi-million dollar start-up, why exactly would you make this investment in an area where you would be forced to take on a hostile business partner (sorry union guys), as well as operate in a union controlled state government environment?

Only if you had ulterior motivations or working agreements that protected your investment already in place, or perhaps were cooerced to by outside interests who could rain on your parade.

This is a top-down fix, unfortunately most at the top are still beholden to the status-quo.

Read "Atlas Shrugged". It is more true than ever before. Not keeping score in little league, teachers can't grade with red pen because it traumatizes the kids..... don't even get me started

F

Quote Originally Posted by gsxrsquid View Post
    Read "Atlas Shrugged". It is more true than ever before. Not keeping score in little league, teachers can't grade with red pen because it traumatizes the kids..... don't even get me started
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

This is a free country!

You want to start a business or keep one going?
    Want one in Kansas or Texas?
    Want to have a union shop?
    Wanna non union shop?
    God bless America!
    Nobody pointing guns at anybody here!
    If union auto manufacturers or non union? If they sell krappy car ? they will go out of business! Unless some absolute frikkn idiot! The worst president in history wants to bail them out? that is! In the 70's American cars were quality!
    They were made by union labor!
    In the 80's and 90's they were absolute krap!
    Still the same union workers just building krap out of the krap material they were given to build a car with!
    Now that they have been selling and building krap for 30 years, it must be because the union is over paid? what else could it be?
    Oh God it could not be because nobody buys the krappy car! No! must be the union!
    Now that they do not sell any cars and there are 10 retired UAW workers to every one working, their pensions are falling apart and so will that union!
    Either way it is a free country!
    Nobody forcing anybody to pay union wages by gun point!

3% of the population is paid minimum wage.
    8% of the civilian population is unionized.
    60% of government workers are unionized.

Union wages are determined by minimum wage. When government raises minimum wage, union wages go up in proportion. The government does not raise the minimum wage for the sake of the 3% who are paid minimum wage; it does it for the unions.

When minimum wages (and other costs, like corporate income taxes and health insurance and OSHA fines and ADA lawsuits) go up, entry level jobs, like elevator operator, movie theater usher, directory assistance operator, customer service assistant, disappear. Many of the jobs go overseas or to illegals or they become automated.

Instead of blaming illegals and technology and offshoring, which are symptoms, blame government, which is the cause.
    Last edited by Space Racer; 01-04-2011 at 03:30 PM.
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

Change your vacuum pump oil now.

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

did the government demand that ford, gm and chrysler make a krappy car for 3 decades?

Quote Originally Posted by Space Racer View Post
    3% of the population is paid minimum wage.
    8% of the civilian population is unionized.
    60% of government workers are unionized.

Union wages are determined by minimum wage. When government raises minimum wage, union wages go up in proportion. The government does not raise the minimum wage for the sake of the 3% who are paid minimum wage; it does it for the unions.

When minimum wages (and other costs, like corporate income taxes and health insurance and OSHA fines and ADA lawsuits) go up, entry level jobs, like elevator operator, movie theater usher, directory assistance operator, customer service assistant, disappear. Many of the jobs go overseas or to illegals or they become automated.

Instead of blaming illegals and technology and offshoring, which are symptoms, blame government, which is the cause.

Demand?

It encouraged the status quo. It stifled innovation.

Of course, the Big 3 managers are not blameless. They certainly made their share of mistakes. But much of their decision making was guided by government policies.
    Last edited by Space Racer; 01-04-2011 at 06:09 PM.
    Vacuum Technology:

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

well, kind of interesting that now I believe all 3 are making quality cars!
    I have had several brand new Fords and paid a lot of money for them!
    I would have gladly given back one of those pieces of krapp! but never learned!
    I guess I will never learn!
    I bought Helen a 2010 Lacrosse made here in my home town by people I know!
    We have had it for one year last week!
    It has already outlasted my last few Fords!

I will let you know if it is still running next Christmas!

Demand?

It encouraged the status quo. It stifled innovation.

Of course, the big 3 managers are not blameless. But much of their decision-making was guided by government policies.

Are you glad you didn't buy a Toyota?
    Vacuum Technology:

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Well?????????????

I wish I would have bought some toyotas in the 80s!
    that is for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you glad you didn't buy a Toyota?

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789