+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where the Cracker has Been.

Post Likes

Hey! Thanks to all the guys who asked about where I've been, and to all the folks who have welcomed me back. It's nice to be missed. . .even if it was only a little.

I posted here more than a year ago that I had gotten my dream job for my dream company. Well, that story I can't tell in too much detail, because (like my last employer) this employer has a policy against participating on boards of this nature. It is OK as long as I do not associate myself with my job. So, let me just say, the company I work for now is not the same company I fell in love with all those years ago. It has been a stressful time, but things are going well, and my employer is happy with my results.

Shortly after moving into this house, we discovered the front wall was leaking, and discovered rotten wood, mold and mildew, and patches where the previous owner had hidden the damage. It took more than three months to get it all repaired, during part of which we lived with nothing between us and the great outdoors but a sheet of plastic. They took roughly 1/3 of the front of my house completely OFF, and repaired it S-L-O-W-L-Y. It was already repaired before we discovered the extent of our liability. . . . .$1,000! Yeah, I dodged a bullet on that one. My insurance company, who originally told me they would cover nothing, eventually sued the previous owner and their realtor, and paid everything but the $1,000.

My dad, the only hero I ever had, contracted cancer in his bronchia, and after the treatment cured that small cancer, they discovered he had liver cancer. He was diagnosed with liver cancer in August and died at home on September 15, during hurricane Ivan. His home was badly damaged by the storm, and one of his out buildings was completely destroyed. My mom needed to fix the place up so she could sell it, and my brother and I took care of all that.

My home was in the path of three hurricanes this year, but fortunately, none of the damage was bad, I was able to repair it all myself.

The boat I bought in Oklahoma has been a source of great joy to me, and I have discovered many wonderful things about boating in the local waters. For instance, if you are going 65 MPH across the local bay, 1000 feet or more from the nearest land mass, and the depth finder says, "0.8," do NOT, under any circumstances, slow down to see if it is correct. The suddenly applied friction of your engine engaging the sandy bottom will stop you faster than disk brakes, and once you get yourself unjammed from between the seat and steering wheel, you'll have a L-O-N-G way to drag the boat back to deep water.

My yard was neglected by the previous owners even worst than the house, and I have spent countless hours trying to nurse it back to health. It still looks like crap, but the neighbors are swearing to me it looks better than it ever did before.

We're still homeschoolig our boys, my 10 year old is in the 5th grade, but tests on a 12th grade level. My 13 year old (who is now taller than me and weighs 165 pounds) is testing on a second year college level, and studying extra credit courses. The home school takes up a lot of time, and it requires a lot of computer and bandwidth. Our secondary computer dumped a motherboard this past spring, and I am too cheap to buy a new computer for the brats, so we are limping along on one computer till I gather enough parts to build another.

My wife and I will celebrate our 18th anniversary in April, when we hope to take a trip to Washington D.C.

Other than that, I haven't been up to much. How about you guys?
    Hindsight is NOT a plan!

Post Likes
    So, besides fixing up a few houses, repairing storm damage, dragging your boat along the bottom and home schooling your kids, .... what do you do in your spare time??

BTW, don't be so damn cheap http://www.dell.com - get your kids the equipment they need!

don

don sleeth - HVAC-Talk Founder
    HVAC Computer Systems
    Heat Load Calculation Software

Post Likes

Smile

Welcome back! I'll bet its nice to finally get out of the cat food business. Sorry about your dad!!

Post Likes
    Hey, glad to see you back! One of the few homeowner-friendly members around

Post Likes

Loved the boat!!

We have big SHALLOW bays too. Have seen new versions of island hopping done here too.

Post Likes
    It's good to have you back..
    You can again lend balance to Dice,(if that's possible?)

Yuma,
    What is snow? Is it that white stuff in a freezer?

Post Likes

Thumbs up

nice post, update, and welcome back. Sorry to hear about your dad, hope your mom has adjusted as well as she can under the circumstances. Helps to have you boys around.

Dell? I dunno, this one was down needing a controller card and wife says, "it was on back order, and back order, and back order..." I found other things to do also.

Cya.

[Edited by MikeJ on 02-28-2005 at 01:14 AM]

Post Likes
    Absolutely, Welcome Back.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Welcome back Bama. Or is that Job ??

Great job with the kids, that's amazing.

Another thing to remeber on a boat. When your going 45 and going straight toward a bridge and the steering wheel comes off, make sure and don't freak out and shut down the gas.

Yes my steering wheel did come off.

Post Likes
    Good to have you back, I always learned a lot from your posts.

Sorry about your Dad, I know the feeling.

I have learned to take one day at a time and to keep my Faith. People are hard to rely on most of the time. Seems like trust and honestly are hard to come by.

Anyway, don't leave us again dude.

Mike

Post Likes
    Hey, Bama. Have seen your posts previously. Good to know you're back. Anyone admitting to being a cracker from Bama can't be all bad.

BTW, we home school, too. Joseph (8 yrs.) and his mom both love it. Ya just can't get that one-on-one in schools, public or private, like you can get at home. And the vast majority of homeschooled kids do very well in college. Most of the homeschooled kids here in Beaufort are enrolled in college by 9th or 10th grade and maintaining a 3.0 or better. I bet your kids do well, also.
    Congrats to you and the missus on making that decision. I'm sure it will pay off in spades.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Post Likes

I never post

But I will for you Bama. Welcome back, I use to be contractor2B you were the first one I talked to in about 02.

Post Likes
    Welcome back Bama.
    Miss talking to you. sorry to here about your dad,I to lost grandfather Dec.18,2004 and my simpathy to you.Great hering about kids and job..

Hope 2005 brings you great things.

<<<<<<<<<<<Aircooled>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    'Life begins with the journey each day'

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in