Thread: Ductless AC

I currently have two window units, a 12,000 BTU first floor level and a 10,000 BTU upstairs, and they cool the house of adequately. But, I'm getting older and installing/removing window A/C units is getting to be a real hassel; they are heavy and awkward to carry. So, I'm thinking of ductless A/C systems. Unfortunately, I know little about them and do not know of anyone who has used them.

Are these good alternatives?
    Are they expensive?
    Are they efficient?
    Are they easy to install?
    Are multiple units required to cool an entire two level house of 1800 Sq. Ft. each level? (Afraid I know the answer to this one).
    Can you recommend a good manufacturer?
    Is this a handyman installation or better to have a factory rep install?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm trying to get a handle on this. If you can point me to good reference material, I'll follow up there.

Thanks for your help.

Al

1 yes
    2 yes
    3 yes
    4 yes for a professional
    5 one condenser 2 wall hung blower units
    6 sanyo/ mitsubishi
    7 licensed hvac contractor

also look into a spacepak unit high velocity

Originally posted by hotncool
    I currently have two window units, a 12,000 BTU first floor level and a 10,000 BTU upstairs, and they cool the house of adequately. But, I'm getting older and installing/removing window A/C units is getting to be a real hassel; they are heavy and awkward to carry. So, I'm thinking of ductless A/C systems. Unfortunately, I know little about them and do not know of anyone who has used them.

Are these good alternatives? YES
    Are they expensive? YES
    Are they efficient? YES
    Are they easy to install? YES, but only by an HVAC technician that is familiar with them.
    Are multiple units required to cool an entire two level house of 1800 Sq. Ft. each level? (Afraid I know the answer to this one). YES This can be accomplished with completely seperate systems or with multiple air handlers with a single outdoor unit.
    Can you recommend a good manufacturer? Everyone has their own favorite. Go with whatever the contractor you choose prefers.
    Is this a handyman installation or better to have a factory rep install? A factory rep is not needed, but as noted above you do to have this done by a contractor that is familiar with these systems. There are some specific differences between these systems and conventional ducted systems.

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm trying to get a handle on this. If you can point me to good reference material, I'll follow up there.

Thanks for your help.

Al
    Hope this helps. I'm sure there will be others along to tell you how wonderful specific brands are

[Edited by RoBoTeq on 02-27-2005 at 03:05 PM]
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

as robo said brand does not matter quality of install is what counts. AVOID the handyman

Thanks Guys,
    The handyman was me . Sounds like a job for Pro-Man!