+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: my house, let the nitpicking begin!

Post Likes
    No company installation sticker? Where are all the manuals? I would have waited for the solar ready to come out. What temperature do you have your discharge air set to in heat pump mode?

Post Likes
    dam it it is solar ready

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by furnacedoc View Post
    No company installation sticker? Where are all the manuals? I would have waited for the solar ready to come out. What temperature do you have your discharge air set to in heat pump mode?
    i ran out of "cody's heating and air conditioning" stickers! the manuals are all in a nice expandable folder sitting on top of the return trunk. like you said already, it is solar ready. i don't know if you can do fixed DAT in hp mode, but i for sure know it's possible in gas heat.

btw, smartass.... haha

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Mech View Post
    Pretty work

don't forget your drainline on the coil

and I don't like your O.D. Unit stand, I like to build them on a pressure treated deck platform then put snow legs on if needed.

But very nice work
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Post Likes

Question ducts

Is your supply duct internally insulated to R-6? Also, I do not see any duct sealing.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    Is your supply duct internally insulated to R-6? Also, I do not see any duct sealing.
    no, no insulation. this is a full basement/conditioned space.

no sealing duct is quite tight, but again... this is a conditioned space.

Post Likes

Cool

Conditioned space or not the SA plenum should be insulated to R-6/ R-8 in unconditioned spaces and the ducts should be sealed. The returns MUST be sealed per IRC for first 10ft. for combustion safety and new work should have a duct blaster test done. It also improves performance and is probably the single best thing you can do for any forced air system regardless whether a code officials *requires* it or not.

Hey, you asked for nit picking! BTW, rest looks very nicely done.

Post Likes
    The returns MUST be sealed per IRC for first 10ft. for combustion safety
    Like a sealed combustion furnace is going to expel any products of combustion.

Post Likes
    Conditioned space or not the SA plenum should be insulated to R-6/ R-8 in unconditioned spaces and the ducts should be sealed. The returns MUST be sealed per IRC for first 10ft. for combustion safety and new work should have a duct blaster test done. It also improves performance and is probably the single best thing you can do for any forced air system regardless whether a code officials *requires* it or not.

Hey, you asked for nit picking! BTW, rest looks very nicely done.
    i DID ask for nit picking, you're correct haha. thanks for the compliments.

interesting you bring all that up too. i agree that it definitely won't hurt my cause but i'm quite curious how much i would actually benefit from having my ducts sealed. beyond the fact that i have supply registers in the basement too.

Quote Originally Posted by JKopp View Post
    i agree with that, but i'd be more concerned with other things like my standing pilot water heater that's right next to the furnace. it's not like water heaters and other appliances are always right next to the furnace though either.

Post Likes

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by JKopp View Post
    Actually John, most "sealed" combustion units are NOT sealed. Leaky returns can and do pulled combustion gases out of CAT IV furnaces all the time.

The code is also addressing CAZ depressurization if there are other atmospherically vented appliances.

However, since ya'll seem to think this is BS, you can contact the IRC and tell them why they should rescind N1103.2.2, M1601.4.1, & M1602.2 for starters.

Then again, you always have *Best Practices* that call for sealed ducts to balance the system.

Post Likes
    Actually John, most "sealed" combustion units are NOT sealed. Leaky returns can and do pulled combustion gases out of CAT IV furnaces all the time.

The code is also addressing CAZ depressurization if there are other atmospherically vented appliances.

However, since ya'll seem to think this is BS, you can contact the IRC and tell them why they should rescind N1103.2.2, M1601.4.1, & M1602.2 for starters.

Then again, you always have *Best Practices* that call for sealed ducts to balance the system.
    I agree, it would be great if we could seal all of them.

You could come ride with me for a year Hearthman, and I guarantee out of all the service calls we would do in a year we would see less than 10 systems with sealed and insulated ductwork and 9 of those would be attics or crawls. I am not disagreeing with you that it should be done.

I'm starting to see sealed ductwork on more and more new construction jobs but still not both sealed and insulated.

A draft interference test should be part of every tuneup where there are atmospheric burners to ensure sufficient combustion air.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in