+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: my house, let the nitpicking begin!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by martin&sonsa/c View Post
    i know ive learned alot from just being on this site about all the installs in this country have ya'll ever thought about metal posts and a metal grid platform out of square tubing i know that would probably be expensive but customers might just like it. and it might not be to expensive if you were to prefab them at the shop.
    Coastal Environment= Salt corrosion, most metal on the ocean only last's 5 yrs, and so do most heatpump's. My C/O rate is 5-10yrs on the O.D. units, and that's no crap. and that's 10 for a properly maintained,coils and unit washed and desalted every 6 months.

Post Likes
    to ga-hvac-tech i just think thats whats wrong with alot of things in this industry its all about money and i agree we should be making money but not at the expence of good people if i do a job than its at the expectations of what i would want done at my home. if you ever do anything that you know will cause a customer to have to pay more money down the road directly from what you did than to me thats dishonest. remember people rely on us to do the best quality job we can possibly do. ill give you an example if i pour a concrete pad and i know its only 3in. and its not reinforced with anything and i know its going to crack over just a small amount of time than that is wrong and very dishonest. now if you do the same job and you have it atleast 4in thick and reinforced with WWF and you know its going to last than thats a honest quality job. its not all about making money

Post Likes
    yea i keep on forgetting about the whole ocean thing lol. but than again why im i trying to suggest anything yall live there and im sure ya'll have tried just about everything there is. sorry

Post Likes
    to ga-hvac-tech i just think thats whats wrong with alot of things in this industry its all about money and i agree we should be making money but not at the expence of good people if i do a job than its at the expectations of what i would want done at my home. if you ever do anything that you know will cause a customer to have to pay more money down the road directly from what you did than to me thats dishonest. remember people rely on us to do the best quality job we can possibly do. ill give you an example if i pour a concrete pad and i know its only 3in. and its not reinforced with anything and i know its going to crack over just a small amount of time than that is wrong and very dishonest. now if you do the same job and you have it atleast 4in thick and reinforced with WWF and you know its going to last than thats a honest quality job. its not all about making money
    I agree with you, I am a one-person shop that has mostly repeat customers...

I do know that PT lumber will wear down eventually... so yes it would be a paying repair when it finally does loose its structural strength to hold a condenser or HP. (I just hope it gets called out before it fails and the unit is hanging from the lineset... )

Scripture says to '...love your neighbor as yourself...' If I cheat my neighbor while I take good care of myself... do I love my neighbor? However: If I give away the farm... do I love myself? IMO it is a two way street... one that it appears to me is a place of balance that one grows into.

When I started in business for myself (1979) doing home repair; I was too giving... and had a hard time paying the light bill. I learned to charge what was fair for my work, and as a result have enough income to warrant running a small business. After all: If I can make more $$$ driving a forklift at HD... why run a business?

If you knew me, you would know I do NOT gouge my customers... Other than the cheapskates; most folks think I am a real bargain... even without the personal customer service.

Happy New Year to you my friend... you are in the Great state of Texas, which was my home for many a year. May come back down there someday... especially if you guys secceed...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Nice looking install. Good looking metal work too! How does the Lennox Icomfort stat compare to the Carrier Infinity stat?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by florida pe View Post
    Nice looking install. Good looking metal work too! How does the Lennox Icomfort stat compare to the Carrier Infinity stat?
    i really am the worst person to ask that considering i've only touched one infinity stat

from my point of view, there are still things that need to be worked on with the icomfort but i know others who still say that about the infinity too and it's been around ALOT longer

Post Likes
    hey ga-hvac-tech didnt mean to come off like that just see alot of dishonest people in this field is all and getting tired of them but obviosly you arent like that i took what you said wrong so i appologize sir and hope you have a wonderful new year and hope the holidays were good to you .

Post Likes
    hey ga-hvac-tech didnt mean to come off like that just see alot of dishonest people in this field is all and getting tired of them but obviosly you arent like that i took what you said wrong so i appologize sir and hope you have a wonderful new year and hope the holidays were good to you .
    98% of them are.

Post Likes
    No foul, no issue...

IMO it is tuff to 'see' clearly on the internet... I am guilty as charged with other folks many times...

Too many folks in this business ARE greedy (and IMO tend to compromise many things). I think it makes life easy for those of us that ARE honest... it just takes longer to build our customer base...

Happy New Year, and a properous year to you my friend.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

*The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by seatonheating View Post
    98% of them are.
    I suspect the %'s vary in different areas, but I do believe you are right in that a majority tend to see this business as a 'cash cow' rather than customer service that provides an income.

IMO part of this is the consumer's doing; When the heat or AC goes out... they want it fixed NOW.. and are willing to pay high rates for that comfort (wish they would pay high rates for comfort during installs... ). Kinda like they created the monster... All us guys are doing is riding the wave so to say.

Most of my service and install tickets are a bit less than the big shops... however my customers are as loyal as they can be... And loyal customers do nice referrals!!! I like this business.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    Good looking install. I am just asking, does one (in your area) have to cover up all that nice metal ductwork with insulation? Around here s/a ducts would sweat and drip water. We have gone to a bubble wrap (no fiberglass). Maybe you ductlined?

I will get some pictures posted soon of a horizontal SL280V attic install I am doing for my daughter's "future" inlaws. Complete 2 zone cut-in, house had electric ceiling heat, built back in the 60's.

Post Likes
    thanks.

as for the insulation, nope. it's a fully conditioned basement. in the summer i do have to run a dehumidifier in the basement but that's it.

i have yet to see any of the 80% 33" furnaces from lennox. good luck with the install, i always cringe when i hear "attic".

Quote Originally Posted by JKopp View Post
    Good looking install. I am just asking, does one (in your area) have to cover up all that nice metal ductwork with insulation? Around here s/a ducts would sweat and drip water. We have gone to a bubble wrap (no fiberglass). Maybe you ductlined?

I will get some pictures posted soon of a horizontal SL280V attic install I am doing for my daughter's "future" inlaws. Complete 2 zone cut-in, house had electric ceiling heat, built back in the 60's.

Post Likes
    Does that 4 by box have 4 outlets but no service switch?

Post Likes
    in the 4x4 box there's a switch and 3 outlets. one for the humidifier, one for the uv lights, and another for the condensate pump.

there's another outlet on the other side of the furnace for the pureair.

Post Likes
    Nice job. So the light in your hall makes the thermostat orange? or did you coat it? What kind of brake did you use for that duct? Came out real nice there. A+

Post Likes
    Looks nice and clean....
    when in doubt swap it out....NOT!!

Post Likes
    Flu exhaust right under window is a nit-pick.
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

Post Likes
    did you pitch the furnace towards the front to allow for proper drainage. required for that furnace.

Post Likes
    Wow very nice work I wish i had that in my house.

Post Likes
    Very nice!
    I like the attention to detail. Even turned the writing on the metal to the inside.
    I'd be proud to have that in my house.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in