Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experience

Post Likes
    I know this is kind of unrelated to residential but how many years have you been in HVAC

Post Likes
    6 1/2 long years

Post Likes
    nice, are you primarly residential?

Post Likes
    21 years on my own, been at it for 26 years, my Dad and my Grandfather were heating contractors. I was threading pipe by hand and helping my Dad as far back as I can remember.

In the summers I would help him retrofit those old Nesbitt RMA100 Multizone Rooftops, he was the Nesbitt Service guy for the eastern 1/2 of the US, he took me along so he wouldn't have to crawl up into the hotdecks to install the wiring and sensors.

Post Likes
    Twenty five years,last 16 on my own.

Post Likes
    16 years and have the following,no hair on my head,drink to much and look at this site alot more than any adult site.

Post Likes
    29 years, resi, and light commercial.
    oil, gas, and heat pumps.

still remmember my first service call.
    I blotched it.

Post Likes

Too Long

I have enough experience to know that I don't know it all.......

gasman Guest

Cool

30yrs. with a gas utilitie company and still learning. Ted.

Post Likes
    23 years + a 3 year stint in the Navy. HVAC has been my prime experience but I'm also proficient in building remodeling, woodworking, carpentry, electrical, and plumbing, due to having learned and practiced these trades in the facilities maintenance/management fields.

You can never know enough about any of it but the fun of learning about all of it never stops.
    Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Post Likes
    I been in the pen for 15 years now. Probably will never get out. Residential, then light commercial/refer, then stationary engineer, back to light commercial, Now stationary hvac, I'll keep you posted since I get bored quick.

gasman Guest

Wink

troubleshooting problems is an adventure never boring. i take the good with the bad. it pays my bills and having fun doing it. heat or a/c. I do res and light com. Ted.

Post Likes
    20 yrs. Long enough to realize how much I dont know.The longer I do it the more this becomes evident. Thats what keeps us motivated, or atleast keeps my head from getting to big. Thats a good thing.

Post Likes
    10 years and still learning.

Lets take that question 1 step further...Who agrees or dissagrees with NATE certification?
    "If you can't fix it, don't break it."

Post Likes
    11 years residential...
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Post Likes
    Adding it up it is 26 years, 16 to 42

Centrifugals thru high pressure steam and a lot in between except ammonia ( that stuff hurts ) including supermarket refer,small restaurant equipment,residential install & service, four brands of DDC,

open protocol,graphics,pnuematics and management of commercial constructionn (hvac) projects,full service service dept and start-up of a few specific brands of commercial equipment and their controls,customer training on control systems,comfort equipment,lab equipment, and graphics.

Joined local UA Pipefitters as a Journeyman BTJ.

Lapsed certificate membership at RSES, but that is where I learned the most.

Is NATE woth it? yes, anytime you are preparing for a test you are learning. Regardless of the importance of the certification.

[Edited by fat eddy on 02-27-2005 at 10:31 AM]

Post Likes
    i've got 13 years in.......about 22 to go...................................boy.... that's depressing.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Post Likes
    A little over 7 years Res/Com with a dabble here and there in Ref.....Mainly service...
    If I know I'm going Crazy,I must not be Insane

Post Likes
    5 years for me...
    Just over 4 years in commercial sheetmetal side of things, the last year or so I've been doing mostly residential installs.

Desperatley tryin to get into the service side, made another move (hopefully) towards the commercial service side now.

Unless the lotto hits, I don't really see doing any other kind of work.

Post Likes

Been at it for 15 + year's everything from res to light comm
    and still reading everyday on the topic.The more i read on the subject the better the tech i become.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in