what is the diference between a heat pump and your standard condenser?

Expansion device, reversing valve, defrost control
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Originally posted by karsthuntr
    Add to that accumulator, fan relay, defrost relay, defrost sensors, high pressure safety switch...

...sorry, got carried away.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

I was going to add accumulator but couldn't spell it.

The 10 seer Rheem's do not have the other stuff anymore. All the controls are on the board and they deleted the high pressure saftey on some models.

Originally posted by shophound
    Originally posted by karsthuntr
    Add to that accumulator, fan relay, defrost relay, defrost sensors, high pressure safety switch...

...sorry, got carried away.
    i meant to ask what are the different processes of a heat pump compared to a standard cooling system?

Nothing really, the only thing your doing is reversing the refer flow. The warm air that an a/c blows out in the summer is reversed and blows inside. And because the outside temp is cold you need to add defrost control so the unit doesn't become a solid block of ice.

This is what I tell HO that ask. It is a very simple explanation and covers most of the bases.

And if they ask I tell them the unit is picking up heat from the outdoor air and moving it inside the house, and the reverse is true in the summer.

A heat pump will change the direction of the refrigerant flow. That way insted of taking heat from your house and transferring it outside "like a staight a/c", it will absorb heat from the outdoor air and distribute it into your home.

Well I think if you look at the basic concept of airconditioning being "to remove heat from a place where it is unwanted and rejecting it to a place where it is not objectionable" can be reversed when addressing a heat pump to sat remove heat from a place where it is not objectionable and rejecting to a place where it is wanted.

Bottom line is an air conditioner doesnt produce cool, it moves heat from the evaporator to the condenser. A heat pump moves heat fromm the evaporator to the condenser also, it just switches which coil fills what role.

You also have to understand that there is no such thing as cold, only heat or a lack there of. Since the total absence of heat is absolute zero (not 0*F or 0*C). Anything above it contains heat, the HP or A/C simply moves it.

[Edited by docholiday on 02-27-2005 at 12:06 AM]