Hybrid View

I'll be building a new home in central California in a couple of months and, based on much useful information gained on this site, I have pretty much decided on the type of system I will have installed (13 SEER AC with TXV, 80% 2 stage variable speed furnace). Haven't made up my mind on brand yet. You may find this humorous: Every time I think I've made up my mind on a brand I read a post from a professional member (who seems very knowledgeable and reasonable) and they post a neagtive opinion about the brand I've selected. I guess I realy will have to select the best contractor and just trust that the major brands will get hte job done.

I have read quite a few posts concerning heat pumps and would like to learn a little bit about heat pumps as an alternative.

We have gas in our area and no contractor has even recommended a heat pump. One contractor is using a heat pump in conjunction with a geo thermal system, but no one has mentioned a traditional heat pump system. Are heat pumps particularly suited for certain areas of the country? Our locale is hot and dry in summer, mild in winter (rarely below freezing).

I would appreciate any information on heat pumps and if I should specifically ask for more information from the local contractors.

Well, You have to weigh your gas prices vs your electric prices. If your gas is alot cheaper then electric, go with just gas forced hot air, and vise versa. When it comes to heat pump/ ac systems, they are all the same. They all use copeland compressors, and they all use the same electical components. As long it has a copeland scroll compressor, you cant go wrong. Ive lived in ny, kansas, florida, virgina, and have lived in all sorts of climates, the ac doesnt matter, as long as you follow the above advise. AC units are nothing more then copper, aluminum, compressor, and components. Copper is copper, and aluminum is aluminum.
    Now on furnaces, thats a whole different animal. Do not buy any cheap furnaces. You want to invest in a quality furnace. You get what you pay for. I highly recommend carrier, rheem, and trane. They all are very good furnaces. Rheem heat-exchangers last forever, and I hardly see cracks in them. I live in Kansas now, and we have alot of heat pumps here, electric prices are cheap. Heat pumps put out a very cool heat. Your average temp out of the duct work is around 115, while a furnace is around 130. If you dont like drafts, dont get a heat pump. Hope I helped ya.

what about duel fuel my understanding it is one of the cheapest configurations when it comes to energy consumtion. Gas furnace{variable speed} with heat pump condenser and coil to match?

gasman Guest

Cool

considering your climate. a top quality heatpump would be the right choice.