Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: electrostatic filters

Post Likes
    Are the reuasable electrostatic filters any good? Should I just buy and clean three of those instead of changing my filters ever 30 to 60 days? Any thoughts or advise?

Post Likes
    yes, please do, business has been slow lately. if more people would purchace these we would be replacing many more furnaces this time every year.

these type of filters will severely restrict the airflow throughout your system, resulting in cracked heat exchangers, lowered efficiency, freezing coils, etc...

you'll be much better off remaining with your current disposables at 89 cents apiece, and changing the same day you pay your electric bill every month.

better yet, consider a high effiency type media filter such as those made by aprilaire.

http://www.aprilaire.com

good luck

Post Likes
    I hate to do this, but I have to disagree billva. My company did research on the Dynamic Air filter and found it actually less restrictive and some throw aways. Works off of 24 volts from the air handler. Highly recommended for those with allergies or who just want cleaner air. Warning....they're not cheap though.
    "If you can't fix it, don't break it."

Post Likes
    Originally posted by uconnputz
    Are the reuasable electrostatic filters any good? Should I just buy and clean three of those instead of changing my filters ever 30 to 60 days? Any thoughts or advise?
    Are you refering to an electric one or cut to fit one you get at HD like Paul Harvey sells?

Post Likes
    If you are going to be living where you're at for a while, get yourself an Electronic Air Cleaner for optimal filtering and only worry about washing it in the dishwasher

Post Likes
    Wash an EAC in the dishwasher?????????

Post Likes
    Why do you need three of them ?

Post Likes
    eddy, alot of people buy more than one washable filter, they swap out the dirty one with a clean one, then clean the dirty one and set it aside to dry. That way they're not running the system with no filter at all.

Post Likes
    The cells and pre filters duct dr. you're a true tinner

Post Likes
    I will take a 4"-5" media filter any day over anything else.

If you're staying with the 1" use the cheap pleated ones around a merv 6 and change them out every 30-90 days depending on how dirty they get.

Post Likes
    Too much restriction

Post Likes
    Originally posted by fat eddy

Ever heard of more than one return and filter grilles?
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by karsthuntr
    Originally posted by fat eddy

Ever heard of more than one return and filter grilles?
    Don't start this fruit on duct design, please.

Post Likes
    I'm sorry, I'll behave.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Post Likes
    heres an Idea if you have a electrostatic filter. Keep a pleated filter on hand and put it in place every time the filter is washed allowing the filter dry. A soapy cleanser should be used periodacally

Post Likes
    Wash an EAC in the dishwasher?????????

Why yes. I wash my EAC cells in the dishwasher at the end of each month. It takes 30 minutes using the short cycle. I wash and rinse the pre-filters by hand in the sink. Takes 4 minutes.

I let everything air dry after removing them and then place them back into the EAC. The owners manual seems to recommend this practice.

Post Likes
    Listen to BillVa.

He is correct, the eltrostatic are too restrictive to air flow. Good for our business - bad for you. Yes - it is possible to add addtional returns w/ addtional eltrostatic to offset pressure drop but the products just are'nt functional.

Go Aprilare 2200 / 2400 or electronic & get it over with.

Post Likes
    Check the pressure drop over the filter if you think it is too restrictive.
    If the pressure drop exceeds 20% of the fans rated capacity then it is too restrictive.
    The ones that state they have increased surface area are usually the worst.

Post Likes
    I know what they are git-r-done, we sell and install them.

Jerrod, if you read the OM, you'll notice that they only require cleaning once every 4-6 months.

Post Likes

uconnputz

This is how I show my customers what their thick, allergy or electrostatic filters are doing.
    First you need help. You stand where you can feel the airflow from a supply register. Have someone then remove the filter and notice if you can feel the difference in air flow. If you can, then the filter is slowing the air flow, which causes your system to run longer to heat or cool, which translates into a higher electric bill.
    Compound that with the cost of the electrostatic filter and the cost of operating your system has gone up. I would say that lowers your system efficiency.
    I have done this many times with customers.
    I also explain that if allergies are most important, then maybe filter should be used, but if costs are important ( over allergies ) use 'pleated' filter. The pleated filter not as thick as electro. or allergy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in