Thread: compressors...

Post Likes
    How long can one reasonably expect a recip compressor to last compared to a scroll??

Post Likes
    Depends n a lot of things but given the same conditions a recip will outlive a scroll.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by fat eddy
    Depends n a lot of things but given the same conditions a recip will outlive a scroll.
    why ? inquiring minds wanna know
    i wanted to put a picture here

Post Likes
    They are a better design with less tolerances to work with,

PS Scroll is not new technology been around for almost a century they just could not get it to work and still have trouble with it.

Its only on the market because it does not re-expand compressed vapor, so it is more efficeint but not more durable

Post Likes
    Oh boy...here we go again

Post Likes
    Hey Swamp,

I think they all know better than to go against me,I can't say that I know how it feels to be on the wrong side.Its something that I just don't have much experience at .

I can only imagine that it must be aggravating,disappointing and immensely unbarable for them.

It probably leaves them with a feeling of remorse and anxiety leading to endless hours of reevaluating the way they look at things in the field,only to realize that they really don't understand a whole lot of this stuff.

[Edited by fat eddy on 02-26-2005 at 06:31 PM]

Post Likes
    Oh stop!! You have my sides hurting.I know this to be fact,you sure are not shy when it come to tooting your own
    horn.

Post Likes

Mmm....

But why do units with scrolls have 10 year warrenties and recips only 5 year??

Post Likes
    I personally thing eddy is wrong too in this case but dont being warranty into it, thats marketing and has nothing to do with reliability in an of itself.

Now I for one thing a scroll can handle liquid much better, it's sump has more capacity to handle liquid and acts as accumulator in a small way, it may get noisy but a flimsy suction valve (you will notice many scroll mfg's dont require a cch and starting components are not required as often). Granted they dont like a vacuum while operating but flooding is much more likely. I also feel that all things being equal in proper operation, a scroll is quieter. Since this is the residential section, I assume we are talking hermtics and not including semi's or open drives as I prefer being able to repair them then replace them. Scrolls do indeed have closer tolerances which you may see as a liability but it also has alot to do with efficiency. Scrolls tolerances are based on heavier materials not light weight materials used in the head of a recip (valves and pistons). Also Scrolls generaly include a check system to prevent refrigerant on the head at start up.

Listen, all compressors require several things to last and as long as either has them, they will both last a long time.
    Motor Cooling, lubrication, proper application and voltage to name a few. Subtract any one and the compressor's life is reduced.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in