Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what do ya do?

The co. I work for has no service work. None nada zilche zero. I get paid to much to be allowed to sit around, do filter changes or tune ups. The state O' Texas will take 2-3 weeks to process my lic, so I've got 2-3 weeks of down time. Ive got a few things to do that can bring in some income, but nothing that will equal what I usually bring in. And I cant advertise until I have the lic # and I of course cant do any AC/R work yet either. Would you quit? I show up to the shop only to do one call if I'm lucky and then go home. Kinda frustrating as I asked the boss the last time we discussed my pay what would happen when it got slow and I became an expense instead of an asset. I was told not to worry, we'll keep you busy. Needless to say they dont keep me busy. Thought about looking into sub work until I get my lic or even part itme at home depot.

Can't ya call up some other contractors and even sub for em?
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

I surf the net, play video games, re-reorganize my truck, watch People's court, surf internet some more, take a nap, clean the fish tank, rearrange fish tank decorations, yada yada yada
    R2B4BTU

maybe it will pick up soon

Ya I'll look for contractors who are in need of subs. I'm sure it will pick up soon, but I'm going off on my own as soon as I get the lic from the state. I really didn't want to just quit because I like my employer, and I'd like to help train some of techs other techs to work on the ULT stuff I do for them, if that's what they want. You know what really sucks. When I went to work for them I was swamped with calls on their refrigeration customers, because the previous tech was screwin things up. Now all those customers dont need us because their eq. doesnt break down. So I worked myself out of a job.

If an employer can not pay you 40 hours, you should have found another employer. It is there obligation to provide you with steady work and steady income, they should have a plan of action that compensates for down time.Leave this company in the rear view mirror,they are small time with small time minds.

But this is an often seasonal profession, sometimes ya got nuttin to do, other times ya can't keep up.
    Employers can only pay you so much for cleaning out the truck, fixing up the shop or catching up on pm's or paperwork. After that, they have no choice.
    Anyway, if ya get hooked up as a sub now, it can really help when you do get started, I did it. Good luck.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Diceman. I have to disagree with you. A well run operation, which mine is not mind you () should have filler work. I use to go through this with several employers I worked for. They'd sit on their ass hoping things would pick up. They wouldn't even try and you would sit there and go home early. Then you try to find them work. And then you do and they won't cooperate. Been there 2 times. It can frustrate you.

Other shops I worked for, they were trying to line up february, march, april and the better part of may work, at about the start of June. And Those companies also had a lot of maintnenance stuff. One place in particular was very good at identifying larger problems that were bigger money and they would convince the customer to wait till February. It always seemed to work for them. Especially refrigeration work. Construction in winter, service all other times.

I take a great deal of pride in always giving my guys the opportunity to make 40 hours. I check the weather forecast every day and try to save any inside work for a rainy day. When we are busy I worry about getting everything done and making every customer feel like our most important client. It's much harder when we are slow.
    One thing I have been contemplating lately is examining our larger customer's equipment for replacement work and offering very good budget pricing if the work is done on our timeline and not theirs. Typically November, January, February, and March are the months we have a tough time making our revenue numbers in.

There seems to be a greater need for companies to hang onto their techs here north of the border. The drastic weather seems to keep us hopping in the winter for heating, and the summer for cooling... but the spring and early fall tends to become slower... thats when we typically send techs to school, or inhouse training. The busy times seem to more than pay for the slow times. We only use the 'hours worked' schedule here, but there is always room for a month or more of 'shop time'... paid.

C'mon up north... we'll buy you a parka and good winter boots...
    Teach the apprentices right... and learn from their questions and ideas.

yeah I tried to bring them customers, even agreed to go "beat the bush". Problem was they let em slip away to easy. Wasn't long and I said forget it, I'll keep them as my customers and get my license and do it myself. Had a couple of jobs that, had I done them myself, I woulnt care how many hours I am getting right now. Probably would have enough saved up to make it through the next 3 months. This is the only shop that I've worked at that I dont see any effort being made to keep every one on the clock. Just so happens I'm the highest paid and first to go. The best part about it is I realize how not to treat any future employees. Thanks for the opinions. I'll have to pass on the pakra and winter boots, the -40 WIF's are about all I can handle, and that only for short time periods.

Budro,

I aint to sure if you follow what I say at all around here but, I always say more or less, the greatest thing about being self employed is that you get to create opportunities for yourself, on your terms, on your decisions. You can chill, not make a buck, or you can hustle and make some penny's. And you can change up too. So. Trust me. I know how you feel. And I will also say, and it is my opinion alone, that this is probably one of the highest ranking reasons why guys try to go on their own. It's not neccesarily for the fortune through there blind eyes, but rather just to create opportunity to earn a living. You think about that for a second. And you take in all that is said on here. This trade has got to start showing up and being more proffesionaly. Don't you think? Good luck to you. You'll do fine. Just don't have some stupid gradoise thoughts that it's get rich quick. It's more like get comfortable slow.

I am heavy into new construction, It enables me to offer my techs trim outs, setting condensers, grilling out, punch out items ect. I think my worst time a tech only got 34 hours. It is their option to do it, if they don't want it they get to go home, it cuts into the profit margin, but at least they are working and in most cases stay with us for the long term.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast