Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Carrier 38AQS016 problem

Our Carrier 38AQS016 heat pump won't shut off when the thermostat is satisfied. The air handler shuts off but the outside fan and compressor continue to run. There is no siqnal on "Y" but there is on "W" (the orange wire) since the t-stat continues to send power on "w" as long as it is in the heat mode. If I remove the orange wire from the heat relay then it shuts down. If I apply 24 volts momentarily to CR3 in the aux box it will shut down. Could it have something to do with one of the 3 reversing valve relays or the no dump relay?

Quote Originally Posted by captain123 View Post
    Our Carrier 38AQS016 heat pump won't shut off when the thermostat is satisfied. The air handler shuts off but the outside fan and compressor continue to run. There is no siqnal on "Y" but there is on "W" (the orange wire) since the t-stat continues to send power on "w" as long as it is in the heat mode. If I remove the orange wire from the heat relay then it shuts down. If I apply 24 volts momentarily to CR3 in the aux box it will shut down. Could it have something to do with one of the 3 reversing valve relays or the no dump relay?
    Call service tech please.

contactor stuck just a quick guess

just curious?

is the wire color orange the best match that the installer could find to land on W?? white/ heat

on the thermostat, what color wire did they land on O orange/ reversing relay terminal?
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

On the t-stat white goes to the aux heat & orange goes to the reversing valve which is first stage heat. At the condenser Carrier uses orange wires for the heat relay and the 3 reversing valve relays. The unit comes on and off fine in cool mode and heats fine in the heat mode, it just doesn't shut down when the t-stat is satisfied. Again the A/H shuts down.

so, on a call for heat? you energize the first stage of heat , you energize the orange wire which energizes a heat relay which then makes a a set of contacts with THREE reversing valve relays?????????????

There is no siqnal on "Y" but there is on "W" (the orange wire) since the t-stat continues to send power on "w" as long as it is in the heat mode.

just curious?

is the wire color orange the best match that the installer could find to land on W?? white/ heat

on the thermostat, what color wire did they land on O orange/ reversing relay terminal?

On the t-stat white goes to the aux heat & orange goes to the reversing valve which is first stage heat. At the condenser Carrier uses orange wires for the heat relay and the 3 reversing valve relays. The unit comes on and off fine in cool mode and heats fine in the heat mode, it just doesn't shut down when the t-stat is satisfied. Again the A/H shuts down.

That's correct. Here's a link to the wiring diagram. http://xpedio.carrier.com/idc/groups...t/38aqs-2w.pdf

ahhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

that is all i needed!!

i think i may have been getting confused???????????????/

thanx

That's correct. Here's a link to the wiring diagram. http://xpedio.carrier.com/idc/groups...t/38aqs-2w.pdf

okay!!!!1

is it possible that it is stuck in defrost mode????????????????????

maybe the thermistor that kicks it out of defrost is bad???????????

I don't think so since the condensers fans are running and the suction line is hot (it has not come out of heat and into cool like it would in defrost)

I have to go!
    I just got a call!!!!!!1

this is a really cool unit!!!!!!!!!!!!

is it a 2 stage scroll???????????/

I see a liquid line solenoid valve and an oil solenoid valve!!!!!!!!11

is it supposed to pump down????????????????

I AM VERY curious!

let me know!

Frank

It is two stage cooling...it starts unloaded in first stage cooling and loads when the second stage is called for. It starts fully loaded in the heat mode. It does have a liquid line solenoid, I would think it would be for pump down. It shuts down OK in cooling mode. You may notice in the wiring diagram (http://xpedio.carrier.com/idc/groups...t/38aqs-2w.pdf) that the heat relay HR is always energized when the system is in the heat mode. Yellow and Red are then connected through the normally open contacts 2&4 of HR. If you move the yellow & red wires to the normally closed contacts 5&6 (not shown on the wiring diagram) then it works like it should in heat but then it won't shut down in cooling.

okay I am picking up what you are putting down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

when you look at the diagram figure 1
    5 & 6 are normally closed
    2 & 4 are normally open
    as you already pointed out

the coil that energizes and opens 5&6 CR#3 WIRE 1 violet
    the coil that energizes and closes 2&4 is COIL HR wire 1
    as you already pointed out the orange wire from w1

CR3 energizes and opens 5 & 6=loss of power to yellow on defrost board "no compressor"

HR energizes and closes 2 & 4=red wire powers blue wire Y1 powers Y defrost board

do you have the axillary box that contains coil CR3?????????????

DID YOU READ NOTE 11? REMOVE JUMPER BETWEEN RC & RH?

either one of two things here
    1. coil HR is energized
    2. y1 is energized from call for cooling
    curious about coil CR3?? is DE-energized is this CR3 only a compressor lock out?

do you think 5 & 6 are on your heat relay?? or another such as CR3????????????

I know I am no help here but I did just figure out your wiring diagram!! LOL!!!!!!!!

are you SURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! w1 orange wire is always hot while in heat mode??????

to me there are 2 open on rise thermostats powering up w1???????????????????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast