Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Anyone have experience or recommendations on wireless thermostats? We are seeing that the temp builds up where the current Honeywell stat is, and want to move it to antoher location.

Only problem is completely finished basement, so thinking maybe wireless is the way to go? House is a ranch, forced air 80% effic.

I haven't seen wireless stats as of yet, BUT, why not replace the current stat with a stat that will allow a Remote Temperature Device that you can locate anywhere you want and just use 2-wire t-stat wire.... If you have a drop ceiling it would almost be easy.....

The company Totaline makes a wireless T-stat. Not sure of the cost though.

http://www.smarthome.com/30401.html
    "If you can't fix it, don't break it."

I've used the Totaline one that duct dr mentioned. I used it to replace a stat that had the wire shorted in the wall somewhere, and it would have been a huge undertaking to run a new wire. I really like the wireless stat, and I will definately be using it again.

I do remember the price, but since it's against the site rules, I'm not going to post it.

Here's the link to the stat that I used: http://www.totaline.com/corp/details/0,,CLI1_DIV38_ETI2438,00.html

[Edited by dorrmann on 02-26-2005 at 11:51 AM]

Thanks for the advice on wireless and the fact that you have used it before. Unfortunately the link did not work, but I will do some searching.

As for a drop ceiling, if I had one that woudl be great. Unfortunately it is drywalled and I hate to tear it open to run a single set of wires. Also floor joist run in different directions due to house footprint.

dzd, go to the link I posted, all the info is there.

I sold several of the Totaline wireless stats and have had great luck with them.

The last one was to a paraplegic guy who leaves the stat on his bed and can control the temp from bed.

Another one in a two story home where the H/O didnt want to run down the stairs all the time to change the temp, so I installed one receiver, with two stats, one up and one down. Worked awesome!

Sorry about the link. It works if you copy and paste. Here it is to just click on.

http://www.totaline.com/corp/details...TI2438,00.html

you can even use remote sensors. totaline makes a wireless remote.

Thumbs up

I used a wireless thermostat on roof top for a large game room in residence in Dallas.
    Total line makes the thermostat and receiver.
    You mount the receiver at the transformer location and you can mount the thermostat on wall with (1) screw so it can be moved if neccessary. 7Day Programmable

Model P474-1100RF (2HEAT) (2COOL) Receiver PE110RF
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Why does the heat build up where the thermostat is? Poor distribution or is it an outside influence such as direct sunlight shining on the stat or something else like its behind your bigscreen?

I suspect you will only move your problem not resolve it.

As for their reliability, I think they are ok

I dont know if this is the same problem I had doc, but I had a t-stat that had a small transformer in it, the stat was awsome. Auto changeover, worked on gas, straight cool, and heatpump. It uses no batteries, gets constant 24 volts from the air handler. The problem was the stat read 4 degrees warmer than the room. I traced it down to the transformer IN the stat. Wasnt long before it was replaced.

Cool wireless stats

I have use a lot of the Totaline
    brand. they work as stated.You
    do have to be a little careful
    about the location of the reciever
    though.I have had to move them out
    of the mechanical room to get away
    from all the metal ducting
    and concrete in there.When you
    use two or three stats with
    one reciever you can give one