Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast
    I can't look.

Now when I post the correct answer are you going to fess up or lie to make me look bad ?

I would like to hold 72F, and . . . . .oh, let's make it easy on you. . .50% RH.

I have a family of four, two boys (13 and 10) and two large adults.
    Hindsight is NOT a plan!

Bamacracker is a man of his word.

If you get it right, he'll admit it.

Originally posted by fat eddy
    Do you feel that the existing size of your equipment was suffuceint for your home ? if so then so will the new one of the same size, any contractor that needs to do a load calc on such a standard type house probably doesn't have enough experience doing this kind of work. ( this actually applies to non standard houses as well) I would be embarassed if I needed to do a load calc to size a piece of residential equipment. gees o man c'mon U got to be kidding me this isn't rocket science no matter how hard you try to make it look like it.
    If for no other reason you should run a load calc and keep it in the customer file in case you get dragged to court. I've been surprised by equipment sizes from my load calcs occasionaly. I run those twice, they come up the same, I put them in and get good feedback. Every time a system is oversized you screw your customers' power bills.

Originally posted by fat eddy
    Do you feel that the existing size of your equipment was suffuceint for your home ? if so then so will the new one of the same size, any contractor that needs to do a load calc on such a standard type house probably doesn't have enough experience doing this kind of work. ( this actually applies to non standard houses as well) I would be embarassed if I needed to do a load calc to size a piece of residential equipment. gees o man c'mon U got to be kidding me this isn't rocket science no matter how hard you try to make it look like it.
    WOW!
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

Actually, most of the older guys here already know the answer, cause I posted it here about 4 years ago. I also posted it in other forums as well. In addition, I have photos, and the load calc I did before rebuilding the A/C to my own specs.
    Hindsight is NOT a plan!

2 ton, 2.5 ton coil, 900 cfm

Everyone stand back.

This only happens every once in awhile, and you don't want to get splattered.

Originally posted by BamaCracker
    Need more info? Just ask.
    Yes ,please.
    Sometimes there are compounding complexities of multiple variables that are not intuitively obvious

Well dang! You only undersized it by 1/2 a ton! That ain't too bad, since the original "expert" put in a 3 1/2 ton unit on a 2.5 ton load, and the house was so uncomfortable we hated it. I finally installed a 3 ton, 2 speed compressor, and converted it to heat pump. It was still oversized in cooling (maintained 67 degrees on a 107 day) when on high speed, but the humidity control from running in 1/2 speed was awesome.

The load calc called out 31,650 total capacity.

But, the truth is, you did not meet the challenge you threw down for yourself. The two tons you specified would have me calling you out to replace or correct it.

Perhaps it is not rocket science, but you are NOT doing it correctly.
    Hindsight is NOT a plan!

Now what you don't know sir is who is right or wrong, you said that I undersized by a half ton this must mean that on a design day your unit is running full out all the time correct ? if this is not correct then you don't know how the 2 ton is going to perform because you have not maxed out the one you have. And without looking I doubt that the design temp is 107 degrees.And isn't it standard practice to be under than over and don't you think the 2 ton with a 2.5 ton coil would provide dehum.

[Edited by fat eddy on 02-25-2005 at 09:45 PM]

Smile

Good clean healthy debate between the pro's. I respect that. A cold one for everybody in the room. But what size AC and heating unit do I need? Who you callin old fat eddy? Well maybe I'm a little old...

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast