Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Talking This is my open carry

Automatic 45 acp Taurus 145 Pro Millenium

Bullet impacts.(taken with a FAST camera) Looks cool.

I like like hi-tech as much as the next guy, but how necessary is it for most people?

Some years ago, a local police department did a study of police involved shootings. It found that the vast majority of shooting situations occurred at a distance of less than 25 feet. Their officers now use an average distance of 21 feet for handgun practice purposes. A situation inside your home that would require gun fire is likely to fall into that range.
    It's a mechanical device, designed by humans, built by humans and operated by humans. What could possibly go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Home&Marine View Post
    I like it whey we/ya'll argue about nuthin. Amazing how so many of us like the same things. I'm all for a Large Caliber Hand Gun. .45ACP. After having some Full Auto experience... If we get to choose what the COW (choice of weapon) will be, there's several factors. 1. How Close is Close? 2. How Many Targets? 3. Do we have to worry about innocent people and where are they? 4. How much time do I have. (3 seconds or?)

10 Yards or less, One Target, 3 seconds. .45 ACP
    20 Yards, Multiple Targets, 12 Gauge Riot Gun.

I normally keep my Riot gun loaded like this, 2 Slugs and 000 Buck. Not to many people will walk away from a 12 ga slug at 50 yards.

MG's are for TV. If you only get three squirts out of a clip you'd better be good and fast.

I like this piece below. Legal? Not here in SC!

You can legally own a shotgun like that. You just need a tax stamp like a class 3 stamp for a machinegun. I forget what "class" that shotgun falls into but the stamp is only 5 bucks...I think...but of course to get that stamp you have to go thru the same application and background checks as you do for a class 3 weapon.
    As Seen On You Tube (usually under someone elses name)

Every question & answer on a gun forum.

Adult language warning!!!

Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    You can legally own a shotgun like that. You just need a tax stamp like a class 3 stamp for a machinegun. I forget what "class" that shotgun falls into but the stamp is only 5 bucks...I think...but of course to get that stamp you have to go thru the same application and background checks as you do for a class 3 weapon.
    SBR or AOW.

There might be a state law against ownership though.

Cool

Glock 21 with 10 rds of .45ACP home defense ammo and an Ithaca 37 loaded with #1 buck. That's about the most short range man-stopping power anyone would need.

The #1 buck has been proven over and over a better man-stopper than the much vaunted OO buck. The #1 has sixteen .30 caliber pellets that product 30% more killing power than OO buck without the over penetration. I've dropped all my deer with one shot of #1 buck and they all dropped in their tracks.

As a paramedic, I saw guys wounded with OO buck who were very unhappy with their assailants and beat the crap out of them. I saw one kid's eye shot out with a .12 ga. slug that penetrated through 2 apartments after it left the back of his head. I saw a guy's right lung turned into cranberry sauce with a .12gauge point blank through a Volkswagen windshield--there were more glass shards in his chest than the #6 birdshot as the inertia carried the glass into him. I never saw anyone who was not dropped by a single .45 ACP to the torso or #1 buck (by law enforcement).

The handgun is prime for portability and manouverability as any Stalingrad veteran would tell you. The shotgun is king when you have the room to swing it around. Shooting with a 3.5" pattern at 12 feet is still easier to hit part of a target than a single kinetic round that is less than .5 inches. Its more of a question which can you bring onto target in that eternity of milliseconds while making the decision to pull the trigger on a human being. If I can only hit with a .22 long rifle reliably but shred the walls with a cannon, I'd rather use the .22. Now, if you can get something more effective and still hit with it, then you're much better off. I have range tested many types of guns and rounds and the two I listed at the top are the ones I can comfortably and reliably bring into battery with a good sight picture by reflex. I cannot hit the broadside of a barn with a stock 1911 .45 ACP but for me, that smaller Glock in my big hands seems to work. I actually out shot my son in law, who is a Federal agent and wins marksmanship awards regularly. I could barely hit the paper with my old Ruger .357 with Pachmyer grips so I sold it. I tried my brother's Browning light 12, Rem. 1100, Rem 870, Mossberg and Steven shotguns but that Ithaca seems to like me. I prefer the std. woodstock to a pistol grip/ folder. I can instinctively shoot it where I'm looking with a good and reliable pattern.

If the economy remains in the toilet much longer, I may just break down and get an M-1 so I can shoot through troll's cars in the streets of fire. That or at least get back my .243 deer rifle w/ scope which can shoot a 1.5" group at 200 yards......

Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    Glock 21 with 10 rds of .45ACP home defense ammo and an Ithaca 37 loaded with #1 buck. That's about the most short range man-stopping power anyone would need.

The #1 buck has been proven over and over a better man-stopper than the much vaunted OO buck. The #1 has sixteen .30 caliber pellets that product 30% more killing power than OO buck without the over penetration. I've dropped all my deer with one shot of #1 buck and they all dropped in their tracks.

As a paramedic, I saw guys wounded with OO buck who were very unhappy with their assailants and beat the crap out of them. I saw one kid's eye shot out with a .12 ga. slug that penetrated through 2 apartments after it left the back of his head. I saw a guy's right lung turned into cranberry sauce with a .12gauge point blank through a Volkswagen windshield--there were more glass shards in his chest than the #6 birdshot as the inertia carried the glass into him. I never saw anyone who was not dropped by a single .45 ACP to the torso or #1 buck (by law enforcement).

The handgun is prime for portability and manouverability as any Stalingrad veteran would tell you. The shotgun is king when you have the room to swing it around. Shooting with a 3.5" pattern at 12 feet is still easier to hit part of a target than a single kinetic round that is less than .5 inches. Its more of a question which can you bring onto target in that eternity of milliseconds while making the decision to pull the trigger on a human being. If I can only hit with a .22 long rifle reliably but shred the walls with a cannon, I'd rather use the .22. Now, if you can get something more effective and still hit with it, then you're much better off. I have range tested many types of guns and rounds and the two I listed at the top are the ones I can comfortably and reliably bring into battery with a good sight picture by reflex. I cannot hit the broadside of a barn with a stock 1911 .45 ACP but for me, that smaller Glock in my big hands seems to work. I actually out shot my son in law, who is a Federal agent and wins marksmanship awards regularly. I could barely hit the paper with my old Ruger .357 with Pachmyer grips so I sold it. I tried my brother's Browning light 12, Rem. 1100, Rem 870, Mossberg and Steven shotguns but that Ithaca seems to like me. I prefer the std. woodstock to a pistol grip/ folder. I can instinctively shoot it where I'm looking with a good and reliable pattern.

If the economy remains in the toilet much longer, I may just break down and get an M-1 so I can shoot through troll's cars in the streets of fire. That or at least get back my .243 deer rifle w/ scope which can shoot a 1.5" group at 200 yards......
    OOO Buck is the #1 rated manstopper.

I am surprised you can shoot a Glock with it's spongy trigger better than a 1911, but everyone has their preference.

M1's are Ok, but a .223 is a better round and has better selection of ammo and the AR15's aren't that much more than an M1.

Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    It is not the same tax stamp, it is afor a short barreled shotgun, Mark Serbu makes those just down the road from where I grew up.

set up a trust or a corporation it is a lot easier to own than as an individual with a trust you don't have to transfer it, just include the people in the trust that you want to be able to use it or give it to.

Quote Originally Posted by Home&Marine View Post
    I like it whey we/ya'll argue about nuthin. Amazing how so many of us like the same things. I'm all for a Large Caliber Hand Gun. .45ACP. After having some Full Auto experience... If we get to choose what the COW (choice of weapon) will be, there's several factors. 1. How Close is Close? 2. How Many Targets? 3. Do we have to worry about innocent people and where are they? 4. How much time do I have. (3 seconds or?)

10 Yards or less, One Target, 3 seconds. .45 ACP
    20 Yards, Multiple Targets, 12 Gauge Riot Gun.

I normally keep my Riot gun loaded like this, 2 Slugs and 000 Buck. Not to many people will walk away from a 12 ga slug at 50 yards. MG's are for TV. If you only get three squirts out of a clip you'd better be good and fast.

I like this piece below. Legal? Not here in SC!

Why would you ever need to shoot at anyone that is 50 yards away?

the average police sniper shot is at 67 yards.

I can't imagine a scenario when a civillian would ever need to be able to shoot someone at 50 yards away.

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    SBR or AOW.

There might be a state law against ownership though.
    Actually they place a short barreled shotgun under a Destructive Device (DD) tax stamp so long as it's a smooth bore shotgun which is what 99.999% of the shorties are.
    UA LU189

10mm, because it's better than .45acp

Cool references?

bwalley posted: "OOO Buck is the #1 rated manstopper.

I am surprised you can shoot a Glock with it's spongy trigger better than a 1911, but everyone has their preference.

M1's are Ok, but a .223 is a better round and has better selection of ammo and the AR15's aren't that much more than an M1. "

Who are you referencing as the #1 manstopper? Not the FBI-

Yeah, to each his own with the trigger pull, sear release, sight picture, etc.

In what way are you saying .223 is better than the '06? Penetration? If I want a small, high velocity round, my Ruger .243 will drop anything alive under 500 pounds with one shot and dead accurate. However, my point was if there is rioting, I would want something that can shoot through a car without using AP ammo. Actually, some of the newer rounds such as the 6.8mm perform better than both calibers. However, you can find 30-06 ammo anywhere.

Otherwise, I think the old Garand is just fun to shoot, even though it is a clunky battle rifle and not a sleek, sexy critter gitter.

To date, all I've killed with my Glock is time. I hope it stays that way.

Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    bwalley posted: "OOO Buck is the #1 rated manstopper.

M1's are Ok, but a .223 is a better round and has better selection of ammo and the AR15's aren't that much more than an M1. "

Who are you referencing as the #1 manstopper? Not the FBI-

Yeah, to each his own with the trigger pull, sear release, sight picture, etc.

In what way are you saying .223 is better than the '06? Penetration? If I want a small, high velocity round, my Ruger .243 will drop anything alive under 500 pounds with one shot and dead accurate. However, my point was if there is rioting, I would want something that can shoot through a car without using AP ammo. Actually, some of the newer rounds such as the 6.8mm perform better than both calibers. However, you can find 30-06 ammo anywhere.

Otherwise, I think the old Garand is just fun to shoot, even though it is a clunky battle rifle and not a sleek, sexy critter gitter.

To date, all I've killed with my Glock is time. I hope it stays that way.
    I think it was listed as the #1 mastopper on ammoman.com

When the M1 was mentioned, I thought he was talking about the M1 carbine, not the M1Garand, the M1 Carbine is to 30 carbine, the M1 Grand is a 30-06, the M1a is a .308.

The M1 garand and the m1a is not really what I would consider to be a CQB gun.

.223/5.56mm is a very effective round, although the edge does go to the .308/7.62 and the 06 in cases where longer range and penetration is required, in CQB situations the edge goes to the .223/5.56mm the Garand is a great battle rifle, except it only has an 8 round clip.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast