+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work is slow and I'm bored

Post Likes
    I've been studying for NATE and RSES CM exams. I have so many figures and formulas floating around in my head. I took a nap this afternoon and dreamt of Btu calculations

I know some of you would say to leave but, this company has been good to me. They pay me quite well and give me all the OT I want and more when we're busy. Also, I do hear from other service techs that it's slow all over. Besides, if someone is looking for help right now, then maybe their employees left for a good reason!

I have a BRAND NEW Chevy express 2500 van with all the shelves and bulkhead sitting in my driveway with only 800 miles on it. I know the owners don't want this truck sitting idle anymore than I do.

It doesn't help that my wife quit her job about 2 weeks ago. She was coming home bitchy and miserable all the time so I said "Suck it up or quit". I didn't think she'd quit! She does have a good opportunity coming Monday so I hope she gets back to work.

R2B4BTU

Fairfield and NewHaven Counties in Commecticut
    Post Likes
    Thats too bad it is that slow Otto. Do you get 40 hours when slow?

I am sure the spring will wake some things up a bit. Maybe some really cold weather still on the horizion. We are still rocking in Commercial Refrig and HVAV service. but with 5 guys it does not take tooo much!
    Quality and Value Service and Repair

Post Likes
    I get paid only for hours worked. It's always like this but usually it waits until Spring. It's 20° out today and I sat at home!
    R2B4BTU

Post Likes
    C'mon up north of the border Otto... the -40 winter weather keeps use whining for qualified heating techs. The spring and fall keeps us insanely buisy with PM's and the summers are hot enough to dream of having enough people to carry on with A/C service and installs.

Slackers have 40 hour weeks, average sees 50+, solid techs work until their wives threaten divorce.
    Teach the apprentices right... and learn from their questions and ideas.

Post Likes
    You could take up purse snatching as a hobby and the rewards will help with the bills till the work comes rolling in. Can you run fast?

Post Likes

otto

Your welcome here in South Texas. These refinery's and petrochemical plants are looking wanting people like you to work on their systems. These jobs are called "Permanant Contract Jobs". The only draw back is that you have to have two trades. Roy

Post Likes

Talking

Originally posted by otto

It doesn't help that my wife quit her job about 2 weeks ago. She was coming home bitchy and miserable all the time so I said "Suck it up or quit". I didn't think she'd quit!

Otto Otto Otto... I belieeeve I will not be asking you advice on wifey issues anytime in the near future.
    "The Bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Post Likes
    Still bore stiff! Almost at the end of Ratchet & Clank Up Yer Arsenal, all studied up for airflow on Nate exam (electrical is my next study), redoing price sheet for this summer (it was sadly outdated and confusing).

Wifey applied for work at Target down the road and we're pretty sure she'll get the job. Also a pet shop but the boss is never in for the last 2 weeks.

My truck is as clean and organized as it's going to ever get.

I've surfed the internet and I do believe I've seen the whole damn thing.
    R2B4BTU

Post Likes
    take advantage of it while you can, next thing you know you'll be working crazy hours and will wish for this lull.

bet you havn't been to http://www.flashyourrack.com that could take up the better part of a day.

Post Likes
    Yeah that's all good. But have you went into downtown Chicago and snatched any purses?

What is Joliet like now?? I lived there in the early 70's on a street called Whitley Ave.

Post Likes

Otto

It's not much better out here west of Schaumberg either. This is the slowest I have ever seen. Unless the weather turns soon think it'll be a long wait.

Post Likes

Re: otto

Originally posted by oroy54
    Your welcome here in South Texas. These refinery's and petrochemical plants are looking wanting people like you to work on their systems. These jobs are called "Permanant Contract Jobs". The only draw back is that you have to have two trades. Roy
    yeah but youd have to wear roys coveralls that he's farted in already
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Post Likes
    Otto,

When NATE came out i automatically got it without testing because I had four CMS's from RSES, is that not still the case if you pass the CM test don't you automatically get the NATE anymore ?

Post Likes

Re: otto

Originally posted by oroy54
    I still have a couple pair of NOMEX. What's required for another trade?

Post Likes
    Just don't tell me it has anything to do with a plunger!

Post Likes
    If you are willing to relocate across the country?? Seattle has been booming for 15 years, non-stop. We have seen no slow-down, winter- summer. HVAC Techs are in demand. If you know what you are doing $30 an hour is normal with bennies after a 60 day trial. The down-side is the typical house costs 289,000. All of the O.T. you can stand is available, year round. $290K may sound extreme for a home` but if you are willing to drive 45 minutes the cost of living goes down considerably ($170, 4 bed, 2.5 bath,)The 300,000 home has a great view of Mt. Rainier. Awesome salmon fishing in the summer, great hunting in the fall(mule deer, white tails, black-tail, chucker, grouse, ducks, geese, quail, rabbits, elk, and black bears 2 per year.)

Post Likes
    I thought Lourneyman in Seattle was 38 an hour

Post Likes
    Otto, did you purse any snatches yet? Oops I mean snatch any purses...........
    Have you hugged the Earth today?
    Donny Baker rules

Post Likes
    I think he's out buying new gym shoes.

Post Likes
    Hey all, I got to work yesterday!M on a boiler also revealed a bad gauge, leaky drain and a bad Red Fox pump. I'll go back Monday to replace the pump. Then off to Benihana for no hot water. Taco pump impeller disintegrated. Nobody had a new cartridge anywhere close so they got a new B&G PL50B with flanges. Bill was over $1,000 but I don't design nor do I build the parts, they want hot water NOW, they're going to pay the price. Finally a late-season res furnace PM so I got done at 9.25 hrs for the day and I have some work lined up for Monday.
    R2B4BTU

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in