Thread: Help me choose!

Post Likes
    My furnace (Rheem 80% efficiency 3.5 ton?)and air conditioner are 18 years-old, the flue venting is poor (75 feet of horizontal and vertical run), blower motor is rusting etc. I'm in the process of deciding which model I should choose to replace it with - the mitigating factor is that I don't plan on being in the house more than another 5 years before selling it and any unit I would get would have a transferrable lifetime warranty on the heat exchanger and 10 years on the coil and compressor. Assuming both units installed are the same price which would you choose?

Furnace: Goodman GMV91155DXA, 2 stage variable speed 115,000BTU
    Evaporator Coil: Goodman CACF060D2A
    Air Conditioner: Goodman CRT42-1 13+ SEER 3.5 Ton

-OR-

Furnace: American Std AUX120C960, 1 stage 3 speed
    Air Conditioner: American Std 2A7A1042 11 SEER 3.5 Ton

Post Likes
    Poor flue venting would cause problems on both models if its not corrected...

Post Likes
    Good point - the price of both systems include a new 3" pvc exhaust to outside.

So, which system would you choose?

Post Likes
    If you're only staying for a few years then go with the goodman. You should be able to get it cheaper. Don't hire a scumbag company to install it though. There are a lot of hacks selling Goodman.

Post Likes
    go with the A/S. you will still be there for the next 5 years. go with the Goodman and you'll be sorry.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Post Likes
    On one hand, we have 2 stage variable speed with a super SEER Copeland scroll A/C

On the other hand, we have a basic single stage furnace with 10 SEER A/C with Mexican recip.

Chances are, both prices will be similar.

Sorry, I've filled out too many A-S warranty claims lately to be much of a fan anymore.

Dealers being equal, I think I'd go the Goodman route. I hate to say it.

Post Likes
    The dealer is telling me that Goodman deserves the rap it had in the past but in the last year or two he's noticed a big improvement in quality which is why he carries it all. Has anyone else noticed an improvement in Goodman's quality recently?

He's also telling me that since I'm purchasing a 10 year transferrable parts and labor warranty that if anything should break I'm covered so I shouldn't worry. Further, that when the house goes up for sale any fear a potential buyer might have about the unit being a Goodman should be quelled because of the transferrable warranty.

BaldLoonie - you're right, the units are not apples to apples but the prices are. I told the dealer what my budget was and these are the two units he came up with. To get an apples to apples with specs would push the A/S unit much higher. That was at the heart of my question in the first place - would you got with the "better" brand but lower spec unit or the "mediocre" brand with better specs? Responses seem pretty split - anyone else want to weigh in...

Post Likes
    go w/ goodman if you're going cheap...

Post Likes
    In your situation I would not hesitate to go with Goodman.

Its not our main line of equiptment but pretty good bang for the buck.
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

Post Likes
    I have a hard time with the Goodman vs.??? When it comes to price. A carrier 10 seer A.C. O.D.U. with cased coil costs me exactly $12 more than the Goodman. York is $17 dollars more with a ten year on "other parts". I am on the west coast and cannot see how cheap Goodman is to install????? As far as my market they are about the same price as of February '05.

Post Likes
    Hey 1Man, I've noticed the same thing, plus the Bryant costs me MORE than Carrier!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in