Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trane Gas Pressure

Have a new Trane Voyager 14 Ton unit which was recently started by another tech at my shop. Got a callback due to typical Trane burner whistling (high pressure symptom). Check gas pressure and reading 0.40" wc so I immediately think it's way off. I verified the rating plate and to my surprise it says manifold pressure = 0.30

I've never seen a positive manifold pressure on one of these. I throttled it down to 0.3 and still had minor intermittent whistling. I'm under-firing it slightly at 0.25 at the moment and whistling seems controlled.

Have any of you seen a new Voyager rated for positive gas pressure?

Are you sure it was not -0.3?

Get it to 0.0 or -0.3 its whisling because it is at a positive WC your going to ruin the gas valve if it already has not been damaged by the positive WC.

There are no positive Trane voyager burners, there should be a tag (red to be exact) in the gas section by the valve that the factory puts as a warning about positive WC to the valve.

should be -.3

I know the consequences of positive pressure on the standard voyager burners. But there are actually 3 of these units at the same location and all state 0.3. No negatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Mech View Post
    should be -.3
    That was my instinct, but rating plate clearly states positive 0.30. Very odd, I'll give TECH a call tomorrow with serials to verify and keep you guys posted.

sealed burner right?

Typical Voyager Induced/Mixing burner. Visually, no difference than any other I've seen.

I have yet to see a positive Voyager unit, to my knowledge they dont make positive gas pressure Voyagers.

Do you have a model, serial #?

Evoly, just came across the exact situation myself. Whistling big time, have 3 or 4 of them on the same roof at 2 different sites. You're right, it does clearly say 0.03 wc. I managed to get mine to stop whistling by bumping up the supply pressure from the reg, don't know why it worked, but it did. Where's your site? Do we possibly work together????

Quote Originally Posted by Trane Tech NYC View Post
    ...There are no positive Trane voyager burners...
    yes there are...used on smaller units (perhaps technically not a 'voyager', however, nobody but trane guys remember what the units are called...they are all 'trane rtu's' to most technicians)

as for the confusion...most likely a printing error...see the IOM that came with the unit.
    "If you pull one more stunt like you just pulled with Tommy, you won't have to get on a plane because I will personally kick your ass from here to Korea!" - Best of the Best

If the gas line is piped to the suction side of the combistion blower it will be a negative pressure reading.

I think all the new voyageurs are positive pressure.

Looking at a trane voyager fifteen ton 2009, an gas press states,-.20 inches of w.c.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast