Hobart h-600t mixer won't stay in gear

Hobart h-600t mixer won't stay in gear

Working on an older hobart h-6oot mixer. In first and third speeds the planetary doesn't turn and the unit makes a ratcheting sound like gears are trying to engage but can't.
    If I shift the lever to all speeds a few times and then put it in first again it will work for a while.
    This customer only uses 1st speed( pizza dough)
    Anybody have any idea what is causing this?
    Thanks

time for exploratory surgery....My bet would be either an issue with the shifting yokes inside the transmission, an issue with the clutch gears not sliding up and down on the clutch shaft correctly, or the clutch gear teeth not engaging properly. I would address this sooner rather then later, mixer transmission problems only get more expensive the longer they are ignored....

Thanks for the reply, I was beginning to think this wasn't the right forum for this equipment but was hoping a hobart tech would read it.
    I pretty much told the cutomer the same thing, that it has to come apart.................was just hoping to narrow it down a bit, thanks for that.
    Are you a hobart tech?

worked on a 3 phase unit once wired wrong direction

The way I handle these mixers is to have a parts breakdown on hand and remove piece by piece in order unless you can obviously see the problem.

Had a smaller mixer with same problem.It was the small springs in the roller clutch that broke.Be careful and pull the whole gear cluster out at one time or those rollers will fall out and go to wierd places.You will be digging in grease for a while to find them all.GRRRR!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chrldwlf View Post
    time for exploratory surgery....My bet would be either an issue with the shifting yokes inside the transmission, an issue with the clutch gears not sliding up and down on the clutch shaft correctly, or the clutch gear teeth not engaging properly. I would address this sooner rather then later, mixer transmission problems only get more expensive the longer they are ignored....
    I concur. Probably some minimum wage carny shifting between speeds without disengaging the clutch.