Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Frymaster Computer Magic

Quick question for the hot side guru's here.

I got a Frymaster FPH with a Computer Magic III control on it. Every so often the fryer shuts down and "help" is displayed.

I babysat this fryer for 3-4 hours yesterday and it worked just fine. No faults, they cooked the entire time in it and it worked like a champ.

2 hours after I left, it started displaying "help"......but no apparent reason as to why its doing this other than a bad computer.

Any thoughts or previous experience with this situation?
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

if you have more than one fryer swap the computer and see if problems follows computer or stays with fryer.

There is a number for the tech line on the inside of the door. I would use it.
    Other than that, I would check the temp probes.

I will have to look into the temp probes. I do not have a donor fryer available here. They have 4 fryers are all are different models. The wonderful world of fast food at work.

I have the number for tech support. I was planning on calling them tomorrow if I couldn't get any clear answers here tonight.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have already recommended new fryers be installed...its just a waiting game until I get final approval.
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Hi iraq usually when a frymaster fryer screams Help it means the High limit is open..if this is happening periodicly i would check connections on high limit. if good then it might be cycling on the high limit and the probe or computer is not controlling the temp properly....
    cheers creeker66

Quote Originally Posted by creeker66 View Post
    Hi iraq usually when a frymaster fryer screams Help it means the High limit is open..if this is happening periodicly i would check connections on high limit. if good then it might be cycling on the high limit and the probe or computer is not controlling the temp properly....
    cheers creeker66

Good point there.
    Have seen it happen a few times.

is this a high effiecient model?

if so i have had the board say help, because of a failure to ignite due to the inducer not always starting or some problem with the igniton bd or pilot assembly

jeep

I believe you will find the drain switch will also cause this problem.

not sure what exact model your working on but the high limits do that to me, they were on older models and the high limit was in the back on the top and the wires would break of due to wear the the elements were moved up and down(thats asumming you are working on an electric model) have seen the drain switches cause this as well.
    Love makes the world go around but cash pays the bills

If it's a high efficiency fryer...

The help display on the controller means that the ignition module is putting out 24v ac on the alarm terminal. If you disconnect alarm wire from the ignition module the help should go away. If the controller still displays help, it is bad. To fix the problem you will need to find out the cause of the ignition failure. The first place I always start is the flame sensor wires at the ignitors. The wire connector should be clean and tight. Next make sure your blower motor is coming on. The relay on the interface board should be checked for burnt contacts. The 24v to the gas valve goes through the hi-limit and the drain valve safety switch. "Help" has nothing to do with the temperature probe. If these hints don't help you solve the problem call frymaster tech support, they are competent. 1-800-551-8633 good luck.
    Mark

FPH I believe is footprint filter high efficiency fryer.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by maninblack View Post
    The help display on the controller means that the ignition module is putting out 24v ac on the alarm terminal. If you disconnect alarm wire from the ignition module the help should go away. If the controller still displays help, it is bad. To fix the problem you will need to find out the cause of the ignition failure. The first place I always start is the flame sensor wires at the ignitors. The wire connector should be clean and tight. Next make sure your blower motor is coming on. The relay on the interface board should be checked for burnt contacts. The 24v to the gas valve goes through the hi-limit and the drain valve safety switch. "Help" has nothing to do with the temperature probe. If these hints don't help you solve the problem call frymaster tech support, they are competent. 1-800-551-8633 good luck.
    A late entry to this old thread. Maninblack nailed it. That HELP displayed on the CM III is the same as IGNITION FAILURE on Frymaster's newer controllers. I'll add one more thing I'm surprised nobody mentioned.

On a service call for an ignition failure problem on a high efficiency gas fryer, often times I'll arrive to find the fryer in use with no complaints from IT at the moment.

On those types of calls, YES - the problem could be any number of things. But there's two things I generally go straight to:

1) DO check and correct those flame circuit connections. However, also check the flame current.

a) On older HEs (TWO ignition modules) those modules have a threshold of 1.5 ľA to prove flame in a 4 second trial. If the ignitors have been there awhile (a few years), those flame rods would have formed a layer of oxidation, which diminishes the flame current signal. If flame current reads too low, either remove the ignitors and clean the flame rods with emery cloth OR replace the ignitors.

b) Newer HE fryers (except ones in McD's) have a SINGLE ignition module but dual output to serve both burners. That module has a far more lenient threshold of .7 ľA and, from my experience, served very well to elliminate nuisance service calls for ignition failure (HELP) problems.

2) Replace the latch relay

a) It's cheap (around $15 nowadays). As Maninblack alluded to, on those older models, the relay will bear evidence of arcing across the contacts from the countless starts and stops of the inducer blower motor.

b) Frymaster's newer interface boards are modified to minimize the arcing.

Of course, the drain switch should always come under scrutiny, especially if it appears to be nestled in a puddle of goop.
    ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° °

"You never know what others don't know."

Or if they rip the wire off of the drain switch, gas valve, or flame sensor while trying to open the drain valve, I have seen this many times.
    We do it nice cause we do it twice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast