Thread: 2 stage and modulating and brands

Post Likes

2 stage and modulating and brands

I'm replacing a nearly 20 year old Goodman 75000 BTU running on LP. Choices are down to:

Amana AMVC95 or Lennox G61V (2 stage, 70000 BTU) at cost = 1
    Lennox G71V (modulating, 70000 BTU) at cost = 1.2
    Carrier 58UVB (2 stage, 60000 BTU) at cost = 1.33

I've read various threads here that have not provided clarity on 2 stage vs. modulating so I'm taking another crack at that. Is modulating worth the premium? Will the Carrier really provide a third more value over the competitors noted?

Post Likes
    Personally, my choices for "modulating" furnaces would be either the York or Carrier Infinity. Quotes I got for them were very similar in my area, especially when you factor in both manufacturers communicating thermostats.

Yes, they are probably worth it for better comfort. Especially if you are planning on living there for a while. Divide the price difference by the number of years you will live there to help a decision based on affordability and value.

Post Likes
    I have quotes on those too, Carrier Infinity at 1.43 and York at 1.52, but the brochure on the Infinity says it is a three stage. The York YP9C and the Lennox G71V are the only two I've looked at that are true modulating (1% steps). To add to the fun, repair ratings are very similar across all four brands.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nhhome View Post
    I'm replacing a nearly 20 year old Goodman 75000 BTU running on LP. Choices are down to:

I've read various threads here that have not provided clarity on 2 stage vs. modulating so I'm taking another crack at that. Is modulating worth the premium? Will the Carrier really provide a third more value over the competitors noted?
    Where r u live ?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by just_opinion View Post
    Where r u live ?
    New Hampshire

Post Likes

Alot depends on the installing company and warranties. Are there any differances in how the new furnace will be installed? Anyone offer additional ductwork modifications?

Post Likes
    I have quotes on those too, Carrier Infinity at 1.43 and York at 1.52, but the brochure on the Infinity says it is a three stage. The York YP9C and the Lennox G71V are the only two I've looked at that are true modulating (1% steps). To add to the fun, repair ratings are very similar across all four brands.
    Modulating is a fun word, and highly overrated here. That said, neither the York or Lennox (including the newer SLP98) can stage down, only up. The Infinity can stage down, so given a similar range, it will provide longer runs than those other two (which is really the crux of the major benefit they all provide over more ordinary).

However, York is on the cusp of releasing a communicating thermostat for their modulator and I've read both the user and install manuals. While it is not definitive yet, it appears that this stat will finally give the York equal operating standing with the Infinity. Plus of course more stages, and better range. If true, I would have to say that the York mod wins hands down if everything else is equal.

I was faced with a tough choice myself between York and Carrier. Partly because of the unknowns about the new York stat versus the known benefits of the Infinity. Went with the better installer - prices were essentially the same.

Speaking of prices, my quotes had a range of over 20%, a significant dollar amount. And the most expensive quotes were not the best installer for either brand. Unless you have already found a really great installer, choose your hardware and then collect some quotes. York/Luxaire/Coleman all have the identical modulator, and Carrier Infinity is identical to the Bryant Evolution furnace. I haven't quite figured out brand pricing strategy, but I think York runs higher than their sister brands. Probably price is more installer related than which sister brand, but that should widen your choice of installers anyway.

Finally, American Standard/Trane has a modulating furnace purported to stage both up and down. Don't know much about it, the one guy to quote one couldn't tell me why it was any better than a two stage (it was one of my first quotes before I knew much myself), and I was turned off by his pushing an electrostatic cleaner I knew provided no benefit to my equipment (and questionable benefits to my home air quality). From reading here, it is common that they push their Clean Effects (guessing it has a good margin).

Post Likes
    Which ever one you get make sure you purchase a ten year labor warranty from a reputable dealer. I went to the york's web and called for of the contractors. You have very little time, but you can have three appt in a day

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    Alot depends on the installing company and warranties. Are there any differances in how the new furnace will be installed? Anyone offer additional ductwork modifications?
    All include modification near the furnace, mostly to the return to accommodate the filter cabinet. Main trunks are duct board to flexible ducts out to the wall ducts. Modifying the trunks would run half as much again as the whole furnace installed. Mixed opinions on venting whether to relocate or use the existing hole between two other vents (HW and gas dryer), 3-4 feet total distance there.

Seems like without a communicating thermostat I'd be better off with another single stage. On the other hand, load calc says 44000 so I wouldn't expect full fire all that often.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in