Thread: Seeking Repair

Seeking Repair

Trane Problem-December 20, 2010
    Trane Executive High Efficiency Gas Fired Forced Air Furnace.
    Model: BLU090L948A1
    Manufactured March-1987 Serial Number-811528788
    (Furnace and Air Conditioning System—southern California.)

Furnace has struggled to ignite for the last few years. I do not believe it is a thermostat problem because the air conditioner works fine with the thermostat.

I have to pull the circuit plug for the condenser in order to get the furnace to expel heat. I had a guy out a couple of years ago, and he said to pull the circuit plug because the condenser and furnace were coming on at the same time.

This year, I vacuumed out the burner tubes and changed the filter, and the furnace worked fine for about a week.
    I noticed that the furnace began to struggle to stay lit—like it was being starved for fuel—and slowly went out before reaching set temp.

Now, the furnace does not come on at all, but the pilot works fine. Does this sound like it can be repaired?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Sincerely,
    Bruce Wilson

Bruce,

You need to have a tech come out to look at it. From your description of the symptoms, it sounds like it can be repaired. You might want to get him to diagnose why the a/c is also coming on during a call for heat as well.

Do not work on your furnace, do not pull your disconnect this can be hazordous to your and your family's health. Look in the book under heating and call the repairman Aunt Bee,
    call the repairman. No Gomer Pyle is not the repairman.

Any machine can be repaired.
    It seems the problem you have is not the furnace,its the repairman.
    Your solution is one of two choices.1) find a good service tech that knows how to check all the components of your furnace or
    2) plan to replace a 23 year old machine that has given you good service as most furnaces have an expected life of 20 years.

Thank you all...

Thank you all very much, at least I know I can probably have it repaired.

phbsales, the repairman I had out clipped some wire and said he was trying to show me that it had a short.

I asked him to repair it, and he said it wouldn't be worth it--he wanted to sell me a Lennox or any of the other systems his shop sold. I said I didn't have $10,000.00--still don't.

I want to try and find a service that will diagnose the short and the furnace problem. If I can keep it running for another year or two, I will be in a position to replace it.

Again, thank you so much for your guidance.

Trane System

I have to wonder if the furnace problem is a clogged gas valve.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wilson View Post
    I have to wonder if the furnace problem is a clogged gas valve.
    Clogged, no. But since the pilot stays lit, I would venture to say the main gas valve is shot, and a new valve is in your future.

Quote Originally Posted by phbsales View Post
    Clogged, no. But since the pilot stays lit, I would venture to say the main gas valve is shot, and a new valve is in your future.
    i agree may wanna have the tech check gas pressure. and a short is relatively easy to diagnose and repair. any tech that knows his ass from his elbow can do it

Reply to phbsales and speedytom

Wow, thanks!!! I will call a tech out to look at it tomorrow.

the furnace and a/c coming on at the same time sounds like a short.
    just like everyone one here is saying, a good tech will be able to rule out everything else and pinpoint exactly where your short is.

It would be great if you found a local co. with staff that are interested in fixing it. Usually the big ads with the loss leader discount service call prices are ones that are a sales machine.

My favorite local guy here is a one man show with no advertising. He has a listing in the phone book and that is all. The company I work for will do what ever you want, but we don't advertise in the penny saver or discount books, TYPICALLY (not always) those are hooks to get you to look at replacing.

kenney t Guest
    i had a call like this before heat and a/c coming on at the same time ,it was a bad digital stat..........

JWB that's a very wide brush stroke. Just cause your company tells you things like that to keep you on thier team does not mean it's true. Besides if equipment is over 15 yrs old the best option for most people if they can afford it is an upgrade, If not just fix it. Most of your bigger residential companys whole income is based on new equipment sales and leads, they prey on the old and unaware Of coarse this is just my opinion not that of hvac talks and that plus two dollars will get you a happy meal.