Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Well glycol mixtures have an effect on flow and heat transfer, I would highly recommend you just hire a local company with chiller experince to give you full sytem evaluation then post back. We need glycol type prop. or ethy. actual gpm and design gpm, gpm of pump, need to use refractometer to check glycol % etc...... It is not rocket science but we are just guessing with what little info is given, just like your off road suspension it is very complex with engineering but the actual building of it can be done by anyone who can read a print and weld and fab.

ok thanks, i'm gonna speak with the contractor. Will a properly set up 10 ton chiller put out 120,000 btu or close too??

DO NOT waste your money on another heat exchanger until you have figured out what is going on.
    Koolant Kooler uses a coil in the tank-albeit a larger tank and stretched out coil. They sell the chiller to cool MRI machines and industrial lasers worth considerable amounts of money.
    So the design is not in itself a flaw.
    As stated glycol could be an issue. 25% glycol will have a 10-15% hit on capacity output.
    What is the piping arrangement? How far and what size pipe? You need to know if the pump is or can move the amount of water you need for this chiller.

Chill King says at their website that each chiller is run tested and capacity is verified. That sort of puts the monkey on your back with your "homemade" installation.

Find a service company that knows what and why before you throw more money at this. Somebody that knows what he is doing can tell you those things and give you the data to prove it in a couple of hours.

thanks i'm trying to listen and follow the advice everyone is giving me. Chill King designed everything except the air handler or evaporative heat exchanger, which i plumed myself using the same size supply 1" and 1 1/4" return with manifolds of course. I used 75/25 glycol as recommended by Chill king. I installed this unit with exact instructions from chill king on the plumbing, and i am extremely meticulous. Chill King are dishonest i am certain this unit wasn't tested, I was sold 5 ton 5 hp compressors on the receipt (i wanted york) and was given 2 Goodman 5 ton split system units R-22 with 48,000 btu compressors. I'm not saying this is my only problem, i'm just stating it wasn't rite. Also upon recieving the unit i noticed there was no water that had been ran through it in the chiller tank. The unit was complete including 2 goodman condensers 5 ton, chill tank and tube in tank heat exchanger inside 55 gallon tank, and all electrical controls, all mounted on there frame enclosure.

tem Anti Freeze
    Type Freeze Safe, Non-Toxic, Non-Irritating, Biodegradable, 100% Glycol Formula
    Temp. Range (F) -100
    Size 1 gal.
    Color Blue
    Application Anti-Freeze
    Characteristics Non-Toxic, Non-Irritating, Biodegradable, 100% Glycol Formula
    For Use With Water Chillers, Refrigeration Systems, Thermal Storage, Solar Systems, Heating And Cooling Loops And Radiant Heating Systems
    Package Quantity 1

not with glycol!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by freeze22 View Post
    ok thanks, i'm gonna speak with the contractor. Will a properly set up 10 ton chiller put out 120,000 btu or close too??
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

i hate chill king, thats what they said to use. what should i use, and at what mixture if the chill tank is located in doors?

hey Freeze!
    Merry Christmas!
    Excuse me I have not really read the thread!

I do not know of chill king?

If you have a loop exposed to the cold weather then you will most likely need to freeze protect it!

I will not bore you with the science

I will tell you that
    one btu is the amount of heat required to raise ONE POUND of water one degree, I should say one pound of water at its most dense state which is 39.6 degrees F.

the water starts to form ice crystals at 39.6 so from 39.6 down to 32 degrees the density goes down!

anyhow if you have one gallon of water which weighs 8.34 pounds and is pure water
    it would require 8.34 btu's to raise it one degree!

so to determine actual btu's you take the gallons of water times 8.34 time 60 minutes! then times that by the temperature difference and then times it by the specific heat!

if you add glycol polyethylene or polypropylene? You have changed the weight, density, specific heat, specific gravity and thermal conductivity of the fluid/water!

so
    btu= gpm x 500 x td x specific heat

the specific heat of glycol at about 50% is around .7

so this would reduce your cooling capacity by 30%

now you have a 7 ton!

so that is 2.48 gpm per ton at a 10 degree delta t

you can round it up to 2.5

10 tons
    10 x 2.5 = 25

25 gpm x 500 x 10 x 1 =125,000 btu

or with glycol

25 x 500 x 10 x .7= 87,500 btu

hope this helps

frank

Quote Originally Posted by freeze22 View Post
    i hate chill king, thats what they said to use. what should i use, and at what mixture if the chill tank is located in doors?

although his formula is a rough version it is a rough estimate if you had 100% water, which the test ran for 10 minutes then you multiply the final number times 6. Although using glycol at 25 percent means my efficiency is down by 15%. What else could i run instead of glycol? MERRY XMAS TO ALL. you guys have been very helpful, i wish i had great service from the manufacturer, but you guys have donated your time to help. I greatly appreciate it.

freeze
    nothing else you can use for freeze protection but glycol!

we do not use it in a lot of big chillers, just drain the cooling tower in the winter!

Merry Christmas!

All the equipment including the tank and lines are indoors. The only reason I used glycol is for corrosion protection after being told by chill king. I'm gonna just drain it and run water.is there anything I can add for corrosion resistance?how often should I drain it?

yes you will need to chemically treat it!

For this I believe you should get a chemical company!

Maybe?? for such a small chiller? you could just use distilled water? not sure?

40F is the lowest temp any part of this system will ever see? why use glycol?

just to make sure we are clear here...25% glycol and 75% water right?
    "If you pull one more stunt like you just pulled with Tommy, you won't have to get on a plane because I will personally kick your ass from here to Korea!" - Best of the Best

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast