Hybrid View

Nordyne/Miller furnace problem, getting 4 blinking lights on the Controller Board.

System: Nordyne/Miller Model #G5RC-100
    Propane/DirectVent Furnace

Problem: Getting 4 blinks on the Controller Board every once in a while. Fault Condition is "Ignition Failure".

What I have noticed on start-up:
    The system commences it's sequence start 1.exh. blower starts, 2.ignitor lights, 3.gas valve opens, 4.burners ignite.

But on some starts all the burns don't ignite, especially the ones near the temp. sensor, so it shuts down & re-starts after a few seconds. I'm assuming after a few of these failures the trouble codes on the C.B. goes off.

What I have tested:
    1. Ignitor, tested then just replaced w/ a spare I had.
    2. Temp. sensor, cleaned w/ light sandpaper.
    3. Fresh Air Intake, Checked exterior opening for blockage, disassembled near furnace & blew-out w/ pressurized air.
    4. rechecked all sensor connections & vacuum lines for problems.

This has still not solved my problem, what else can I check?
    Do I need to replace the burner unit or have it cleaned (flames are a solid blue when it is running).

Help,
    KippH

With all due respect, you need to make a phone call.

Fill out your profile.
    Perhaps somebody on this forum services your area, or knows someone to recommend.

Carbon monoxide and open flames are not to be trifled with.

Make the call, man. Just... make the call.

You need special test equipment at this point, several hundred dollors worth.

Please don't put you and your family's lives on the line...

Do the right thing.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Confused Let me just state, That I would never put my family at risk!!!!

I have taken all safety precautions prior trying to diagnose the problem w/ my furnace. I have a Carbon Monoxide detector in that area of the basement (hard wired to my alarm system). The systems safeties are functioning properly and the problem is not regular it is sporadic.

I'm really trying to find out info prior to having a tech. service the equipment. I would like to know what needs to be performed prior to calling & getting a quote that just drops a chin to the floor.

KippH

There is no way to tell exactly the problem, without direct inspection, by a trained individual.

You have the equivalent of "Check Engine NOW".

Make sure you have a clean filter, the registers are open, and the doors are installed properly.
    You will have done your part.

Do you have working carbon monoxide detectors in ALL bedrooms?

One near the furnace is not enough.

Post back with how this plays out.

Good luck.

Re: Let me just state, That I would never put my family at risk!!!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kipph

You already have by messing with a system you dont know enough about!

"I'm really trying to find out info prior to having a tech. service the equipment. I would like to know what needs to be performed prior to calling & getting a quote that just drops a chin to the floor. "

- not the best opening line for a dialogue when you are asking pros for help. How do you know it will be that expensive? How expensive does a proper repair have to be to release your chin? Seriously, you have ignition issues and the shutdown is for your protection. But as you describe, a tech should be able to straighten it out pretty quick.

You need an annual service and tune up, you can ask rates when you call, they will clean and check gas pressure's and temp rise ect. Just let them know the problem.

Sounds like the burners need to be cleaned. Call for a clean and check.

If you want to call them burner, then I use that same term.

Look at how they are close to each other. The burner is designed round and flat on each end. If you look at each one of them closely.

Each flat end from one burner will touch the other burner.
    Each flat end will also has flame and that how they are daisey-chain the flame.

Thus, as the first one fired, its flat end touching the second will have flame and get the second burner flat end start the fire. And so on until the last burner, which has the flame sensor mounting close to it.

When the QUALIFY technician comes our please tell him your story above. Suggest him to remove them and clean debris and line them up properly.

I DON'T RECOMMEND YOU TO DO THIS. FEW DOLLARS IS STILL CHEAPER THAN YOUR LIFE

Have fun

flame failure?

You might try calling your gas utility. They will usually check your gas pressure at no cost. A faulty gas regulator will result in the symptoms you describe. In-shot burners are not as tolerant of low pressure as a water heater or range burner, so if you have other gas appliances they may continue to work. If that's not the problem you'll have to call a pro.