Republicans, you just gotta love them - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib's Son View Post
    Oh I get it now...HOA= Home Owners Assoc.

I really would have expected something better than that out of you but happy trolling anyway.
    Actually the image is funny. Racing away in your car while being pursued by an angry mob that only will tolerate muted pastel colors and bushes no higher than 23 1/2".

Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    Actually the image is funny. Racing away in your car while being pursued by an angry mob that only will tolerate muted pastel colors and bushes no higher than 23 1/2".
    Yea, everything he said made sense till HOA's were mentioned. I guess they don't have them in Idaho. Maybe they call them SDA--Spud Diggers Association

Gib's Son is offline ARP Committee/Professional Member*
    Well that was a little better effort..SDA.

Since you chose to speak out of ignorance here's some information.

Every community built over the past 20 years in So. Cal. has HOA's, they are inescapable fact of living down there unless you want an older home. They tell you the only time your garage door can be open is when the car is entering or leaving. Leave it open and you get fined. They wont let you put a potted plant on your porch unless it's been approved by committee. If you do, you get fined. They wont let you put Christmas lights up, even if they are on the inside or your window. Do so and you will be fined. You cant park your vehicle in the driveway, do so and you will be fined. The board members meet on regular basis and develop more rules and regulations in which to "improve" the community all in while it just infringes more on your personal and individual freedom. Like printer say's in jest...yes they really do regulate how tall a bush or plant can be as well as it species. They raise the HOA fee's saying they need more money but more often than not you see no direct benefits.

So you see HOA's are nothing more than a microcosm of nanny state government.

Was the reason I left because of them, of course not. The final decision to leave was so that my wife and I could take care of my dying grandfather who was alone in Idaho so he did not have to die in a nursing home.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

Well it's good to hear your concern for your grandfather.

I 've worked in Nursing homes all over Dallas. After seeing the life old folks live in Nursing Homes, it's a fate I would wish on no one. You've done an admirable deed.

I knew about the HOA's in Southern California. I wondered why houses cost so much there so I did a little research a couple of years ago. That's why out of the three reasons you gave I emphasized HOA.

Some of the HOA's here can foreclose on you if you don't pay the dues and /or fines they hand out. I would never live in a place like that.

Any commercial service vehicle with lettering on the side prohibited by association by-laws in my old sub division.

Got a letter....ignored it. Got a knock on my door from some 500 year old fossil who said I was in violation of association rules.

I said this is how I can afford to make the mortgage on this house and feed my kids. Never heard anything else....lived there 5 years

Gib's Son is offline ARP Committee/Professional Member*
    Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    Well it's good to hear your concern for your grandfather.

I 've worked in Nursing homes all over Dallas. After seeing the life old folks live in Nursing Homes, it's a fate I would wish on no one. You've done an admirable deed.
    I don't think I could do that, too depressing. Every once in while a group that I ride with will set up a BBQ and picture take event at a nursing home. Although it provides some sense of giving back to the community and bringing a little sunshine into their lives for a few hours there's still a part of me that wonders if were not taking advantage of them. You know, dressing them up in leathers so they can have their picture taken. It's like "here, put this on so you can look cute and silly for the camera".
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

Back to HOA, the first thing I thought of was Hand, Off, Auto.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123