Thread: Unico HVAC

Hi. We have a 1750-ish farmhouse and are looking to potentially replace our oil-sucking steam boiler with a Unico system. My parents keep warning us of the horror stories of forced hot-air heating system (cold spots, dry air, etc.). We've had a couple of experienced Unico installer through the house and they think it's doable. I understand the physics and operation of the Unico system, and it's low impact to the houses esthetics is a major plus. However, I'm very concerned about going from a very well and evenly heated (yet antiquated) house to something less. I have read other sites where it has been stated that the high-velocity, aspiration-based systems like Unico do a better job at creating even heating and cooling.

Any experiences and advice, both professional and homeowner, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Bob Gregory
    N. Scituate, RI

It should work just fine if installed properly. You will love it!
    " Kill a Commie for Mommy! "

- Colonel David Hackworth (1930-2005), Korean War Vet

It will never do as good as your steam heat, in keeping you comfortaable.

Are you thinking of making a unico a heat pump.
    The air will be warmer then a conventional heat pump, but it won't be the constant warmth that your rads provide.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thanks. I hate to ask, as it seems that guys get flogged for asking, but what is the relative cost of a combined HVAC Unico system versus just a replacement of my current 275k BTU boiler with one (or two) steam boilers. It's a 12 room house. first floor would be supplied from the basement, second from the attic. I know this is sort of an apples to oranges comparison. Hopefully as newbie to this forum, I won't get slammed.

Thanks,

bob

Bob, no one can tell you what your systems will cost without looking at your job.
    Have you hugged the Earth today?
    Donny Baker rules

There could be alot done to help out your existing boiler.If you have a two pipe steam system that has been neglected you could see a considerable savings by cleaning/replacing condensate traps.also having the system gone over by a good boiler tech could save alot of money.If you have a system that could run on a few ounces of steam running on a few pounds etc.etc.
    Take your time & do it right!

Are you palnning on using the Unico System for Heating, as well? It can be used for hot water heat, but not steam. A hot water module can be installed in the system to provide heating for your home.

Or a heat pump can be used as well. The Unico Heat Pump system will usually put out 20-30 degree warmer air than a conventional heat pump system

As stated previously, a properly designed and installed Unico System will provide comfort for your home.

Talking Unico

Unico was installed in a post beam (Yankee Barn)type home in Arygle,Texas. Large open area's to deal with and upstairs and seperated master bedroom and with his & her dressing area and laundry area and mudroom.

Upstairs was done with 2.5 ton Unico w/American Standard 12.0 Heat Pump.
    28 ft ceiling Downstairs, kitchen, bath and bedroom was done with 3.0 ton American Standard Heat Pump.
    Master bedroom,laundry,bedroom and dressing area was done with 3.0 American Standard heat pump.

Customer was dentist with very normal concern's as to the cooling & heating of Unico..

After start-up and adjustment on airflow, customer was very pleased and wrote to Unico about there great product.Would recommend them to anyone.

For your information this was our first Unico system install and have since used them in log cabin installation also.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

I don't think anyone said a Unico wouldn't heat well, it just won't be the same even heat as a cast iron rad system.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?