I have a 4yr old home with a Tjernlund sideshot sporting a motor which badly needs servicing - it vibrates so much it wakes us up. Even on the Tjernlund website there is no listing of people who can service the motor. Where can I find someone qualified to attempt this?

In the phone book,most hvac contractor should be able to
    handle that task.

Properly the blower wheel have lost some blades and it's out of balance,or a motor mount is shot.

Originally posted by polyana
    I have a 4yr old home with a Tjernlund sideshot sporting a motor which badly needs servicing - it vibrates so much it wakes us up. Even on the Tjernlund website there is no listing of people who can service the motor. Where can I find someone qualified to attempt this?
    Your profile says your on Long Island...Lots of Oil Co's in the metro area. Have you had the complete oil burner and furnace/boiler serviced? If not now would be a good time for a cleaning/tune up. who do you buy your oil from ..they would be a good place to start. Tell them what you posted here ..might save them a trip to the supply house for a motor.

Thanks, Simpleman. We've had two oil companies since we've been here, and they've been unwilling to work on the unit although they've both mentioned they don't think much of any side shot unit. I guess I'll call around until I find someone who sounds confident.

The side shots are a PIA to work on but they need to be cleaned. The blower wheel most likely has never been cleaned of ash.
    You have to take the inside section down to clean it.
    This section is held up with sheet metal "cleats". Similar to ductwork 'cleats". The entire heat exchanger and smoke pipe should be checked and vacuumed too. Otherwise the ash in there, will end up in the blower wheel again. Also the pressure switch tube for the power venter should be checked for blockage as well.
    Oh yeah, and get another oil company.

I hate Tjernlund, Dont spend money repairing it. It would probably be cheaper in the long run to get a Field SWG type unit. The motor is outside and they are much more popular as for carrying parts for them.
    Ofcourse the best thing you could do is put up a chimney

Funny you say that, heaterman-I'm of the opposite opinion. Feilds outside motors seem to get more abuse, and are flimsy Fasco units, compared to Tj's isolated frame motors. Can't say I've changed a Tj motor, but boy, I've been out at 2 am for plenty of SWG's!

But I think we agree that power venting is for the birds. Find some way to get a prefab chimney up-it will never let you down!

Next week I'm doing this exact thing-client is sick of fooling around with his vibrating Tj, and stains on the siding. B-vent is going in, and a new boiler (hydro-air conversion).

I probably dont care for them because there are no parts for them around here. Last time I needed something I got sorry we dont stock them anymore. I aggree about changing swg motors but I can get them If you oil them with that expensive little tube of oil field sells they seem to last ok. Only problems I have with them is when they are used on a hot air furnace. They sit idle all summer and fill up with hornet nest and rot. The new stainless one seems much better I havent had any problems with them yet.

Originally posted by oil lp man
    The side shots are a PIA to work on but they need to be cleaned. The blower wheel most likely has never been cleaned of ash.
    You have to take the inside section down to clean it.
    This section is held up with sheet metal "cleats". Similar to ductwork 'cleats". The entire heat exchanger and smoke pipe should be checked and vacuumed too. Otherwise the ash in there, will end up in the blower wheel again. Also the pressure switch tube for the power venter should be checked for blockage as well.
    Oh yeah, and get another oil company.
    I had to replace an SS1 earlier tonight. The damn cleats were inside the wall.

It got an entire new power venter.

I would've loved to have a Fields available for this one, but normally, I like the Tjernlunds. Not necessarily the sideshots, but the Tjernlund line in genral has been reliable for me for the most part.....

Originally posted by hydronicsman

But I think we agree that power venting is for the birds. Find some way to get a prefab chimney up-it will never let you down!

No draft like a natural draft.

Not only are power venters for the birds, but those direct vent boilers with the Beckett AFII burners are worse. The OP can thank the Good Lord above that they're not stuck with one of those gems.

Noise with a SideShot SS@

I'm considering installation of a SideShot SS2. Can anyone tell me about their noise level? Can you hear them running over and above the furnace noise?

-HB

You can't hear a chimney, nor can you beat one.

Don't poke the bears.

Just worked on a Field SWGII-4HD unit yesterday.....motor was dead (no surprise) and the housing was rotten after 12 years. Not bad actually, but still a hefty repair bill going to a stainless unit now. The newer Field models are much much more reliable and quieter than their predecessors, it's a shame when first introduced they had ZERO reliability...sort of spoiled many techs on working on them. The TJ models are alot harder to work on, but their motors are alot more reliable, but not necessarily quieter, some are darn right nasty loud.

A power venter is NO where equivalent to a chimney, but if you gotta have one, I'd pick the Field unit.