American Standard Vs Trane

Given the same 95% 2-stage hot air furnace for Trane and AS, if you purchased both units and installed them each in identical homes is there any "real" difference between the units except for some cosmetic differences in the enclosures?

Same goes for the A/C units.

I know that AS is not owned by Trane, etc. Just want to know if any of the pros can provide real life experience with the two brands within the limits of this forum.

jrref

Trane and AmStd are sister companies owned by the same parent.

The furnace you mention is their two stg var speed 95% eff mdl. they are identical and have same mdl number-except Trane begins with "T" and AmStd begins with "A".

there are some cabinet/top differences in the outside condensers whether HP or AC but depending on the mdel, they are pretty much same on inside.

AmStd apparently is transitioning their product mdl numbers to confuse everyone. how nice.

IMO

They are exactly the same units down to the screws that hold them together.
    The sheet metal on the a/c-HP units are a little differant but everything on the inside are exactly the same.
    They used to be seperate companies a million years ago but now are the same.
    They are both owned by the same parent co. now.

fact- they come off the same assy. line. 1 gets Trane, 1 gets Am Std. If you look at a trane tag it say's the American Standard Co. Trane used to be owned by American Standard, now Ingersal and Rand bought out it all.

jrff, Just buy soemthing and hope you didn't go too cheap on the install. The unit could be made of gold and installed incorrectly and then you would have to depend on the warranty.

My new amer. std. furnace came in a trane box. Try to get references from dealers & follow thru & check them out.

The best example I can use to compare Trane & american standard is as followed. They are like chevy & gmc trucks. Same equipment with same parts! The only real diff. Is on the Trane xl systems verus the american standards hertitage is the looks of the outside a/c & heat pump as stated. I once ordered a Trane 803 t-stat & got a American standard 1 instead. They are the same thing but I would not put it In do to the system being trane. My company is 100% Trane dealer but again american standard is the same unit. I have been to Tyler TX & saw how they make within reason comes down acc. Line one goes left one goes right & gets same parts & compressor just branded with diff. Names.

Tags have changed

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Mech View Post
    fact- they come off the same assy. line. 1 gets Trane, 1 gets Am Std. If you look at a trane tag it say's the American Standard Co. Trane used to be owned by American Standard, now Ingersal and Rand bought out it all.

Now the AMRS tags say Trane.
    Some Talk, Some Do
    "keeping condensing pressures low and evaporator pressures high"
    "Some customers are more interested in comfort than energy savings"
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by jrref View Post
    Given the same 95% 2-stage hot air furnace for Trane and AS, if you purchased both units and installed them each in identical homes is there any "real" difference between the units except for some cosmetic differences in the enclosures?

Same goes for the A/C units.

I know that AS is not owned by Trane, etc. Just want to know if any of the pros can provide real life experience with the two brands within the limits of this forum.
    The Company that makes Trane and American Standars is called, The American Standard Trane Company.

It is the same equipment.

There are cosmetic differences and model number differences, that is it.