Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Anything come to mind other then incomplete combustion.

I'm going out tomorrow on unit that the people say has a smell of L.P. at the flue pipe.

Other companys have been there, with nothing really to report as to the cause.

1st thing i'm going to look at is the pressure, but i'm sure thats been done.

This unit is about 1 1/2 yrs old.
    I don't knnow if it's a 1 or 2 pipe, but if it's a 1 pipe.
    and getting combustion air from the house, could that be a result ?

If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

9 times outta 10 its rusty burners.You can wirebrush the heck outta them but nothing solves it but new burners.When you install the new burners(if that is what you find) Drill a screw through the burner to help break up the LP.Not letting the tank go below half empty.

What would a half empty tank do ?
    The pressures would still be 10"
    on the outlet side .

Thanks,
    Which have you done ?

rusty burners?? 1 1/2 yrs old??
    possible flue open ar split somewhere maybe delayed ignition hard to say is problem continuos or intermittn
    could even have trash in the valve ?

only thought in your mind at time of call is to listen to the homeowner believe iy or not they will point you in the right direction

I would guess that the furnace is not lighting for some reason and they are smelling the LP being vented outside before it tries to light again. If they smell it all the time I don't know.

Combustion Test That Furnace!

Every time I have tested a furnace that had a complaint of fuel rich smelling exhaust the carbon monoxide levels have been off the scale.

Yup, rusty burners on fairly new unit, it happens. Running the tank low you get more crap in the fuel line, moreso if the Tank is older and it can cause rusting pretty fast.Telling the customer not to run it below half usally gets them to remember not to run it almost empty. I am sure Toolpusher will go there and check out all possibilities. Orfice size, venting tables, etc.Thing is you only get this complant on 90+'s cause the exhaust vent is where it can be smelled usally by ther back door as opposed to the roof where the oder will drift away before it cant smelt.

So yeah its usally incomplete combustion of some kind like you were thinking Toolpusher.getting its air for combustion from inside shouldn't cause an odor unless theres not enough combustion air then your back to incomplete combustion.

Dmoney I see your from flordia, remember up north we are using the furnace alot 8 to 9 months out the year.

Originally posted by trane
    I would guess that the furnace is not lighting for some reason and they are smelling the LP being vented outside before it tries to light again. If they smell it all the time I don't know.

This most likely the case.Failure to ignite. In LP I usally see this due to rusty burners so thats why I went in that direction.

I'll let you guy's know what i run into.
    Which have you done ?

Just replying because I want an e-mailed reminder of when toolpusher updates. If there's a way to subscribe to a thread without replying to it, someone tell me!

Hmm

Just came from this unit,
    Found gas pressure to be correct, and stable even during operation.
    Temp rise is within factory specs. Just for the sake of check'n
    I pulled the burners, they are in very good condition.
    I checked the orifice size, they are right.
    I did remove the critter trap from the intake air,
    It is installed as a 1 pipe install, The intake is from the loose basement.
    It had the critter trap on it, I felt that was restricting the air intake flow. The flame is nice and blue, very even.
    Venting is ok, size and length.

Only modification I made was to the termination. It was low and was next to the regulator, caused moisture to form on the screen, which could freeze in cold weather.
    I thought that would effect the pressures, and cause an odor.
    They say they don't smell it all the time.

The only odor I could sense was the odor of combustion.
    I don't make a habbit of smelling exhaust fumes, so I don't know if thiers is more then normal.

[Edited by Toolpusher on 02-24-2005 at 03:04 PM]
    Which have you done ?

Davidr is correct! Since the customer says they don't always smell it. For example it might take combination of several items to create the smell, like the gas water heater kicks because they are doing the laundry and the dryer is running too. Each of these items use lots of room air. Could they be short combustion air during these times?
    Not saying that is the problem, but should be considered.

What is the ohms on the ignitor??? Might not light every time if its high... Fire off all the appliances, then check gas pressures... Are the flames still "pretty" when the blower comes on? Did you close the door behind you to recreate the same situations that are normal operation? What type of furnace is it? Sorry for the questions...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast