Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recovered Refrigerant Return Centers?

I work with Refrigerant Reclamation and I get a lot of calls from people asking me where they should take their recovered cylinders. So my question to you all is, are the recovery centers (such as the Johnstones, Lohmillers, etc) making it easily available and known? Where do you take your recovered refrigerant? Are they giving you credit for your recovered gas?

So no one here recycles r-22?

Quote Originally Posted by ktice View Post
    I work with Refrigerant Reclamation and I get a lot of calls from people asking me where they should take their recovered cylinders. So my question to you all is, are the recovery centers (such as the Johnstones, Lohmillers, etc) making it easily available and known? Where do you take your recovered refrigerant? Are they giving you credit for your recovered gas?
    where I go you buy a cylinder and when it is full you exchange it for another empty one, no credit is given for the refrigerant.

if it is mixed refrigerant, I think you get a bill for disposal.

since you are in the business, why are you asking?

seems to me you should know this already.

I suspect you are really a homeowner looking to get a credit for refrigerant that was recovered from a unit that you had replaced or worked on.

BTW Johnstones is a supply house, not what I would consider a recovery center, they just handle the exchange and ship the recovered refrigerant to a recovery/recycling center.

I'm not a homeowner, I'm working in trying to help with promote recovery since the EPA laws keep getting stricter. See on my side of things, I'm told that you take your recovery cylinder in and it's an easy exchange. But I know people sometimes just tell me what I want to hear.

I'm working on creating a program with the wholesalers that actually gives credit/incentives to you all, not just them. But in order for the program to actually work I need to know what it's like on your end. You should be given credit for your recycled gases...even some of the mixed cylinders because I do believe some of those gases can be separated and recycled as well.

I'm not a homeowner, I'm working in trying to help with promote recovery since the EPA laws keep getting stricter. See on my side of things, I'm told that you take your recovery cylinder in and it's an easy exchange. But I know people sometimes just tell me what I want to hear.

I'm working on creating a program with the wholesalers that actually gives credit/incentives to you all, not just them. But in order for the program to actually work I need to know what it's like on your end. You should be given credit for your recycled gases...even some of the mixed cylinders because I do believe some of those gases can be separated and recycled as well.
    Mixed refrigerant has to be burned.

Around here they ive you a shiny new container when you bring back the old one, and charge you a cleanup fee of like twenty five beans for a fifty pounder. There is no incentive to the contractor, me to bring in recovered refrigerant, other than following EPA rules. They do, however write you a little rceipt for bringing it in, which is probably too thin to even wipe your butt with it.

Hmm

nobody gives you credit for used refrigerant.

actually they charge you for the tank. they charge you to accept the filled tank. if the tank is too full, well guess what. . . they charge you again. . .

what do you mean by
    "work with Refrigerant Reclamation"
    if that's the case, why cannot you answer thier questions? ? ?
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Quote Originally Posted by bwalley View Post
    Mixed refrigerant has to be burned.
    depending on the mix that is returned some can be separated but it's more of a process and it costs a lot of money

And to Beachtech...I'm new to the Reclamation world and I'm working with putting a program together that helps with the recovery and return. The reason I came here is because I want to hear it from you all on how it is. I can make the program actually work if I actually talk to the end user. If I talk to a distributor they say one thing and reclaim centers say another.

I'm trying to put incentives out there for the cylinder returns such as a free cylinder exchange every so often, credits for the exchange, etc.

how about this idea? you supply the local suppliers with jugs. They supply them to us fo' free, and take them back fo' free. any refrigerant inside the jugs gets reclaimed, and you split the profit from resale with the vendor. or how about another way? you buy delivery trucks that run a route, much like those pesky snap on guys. You bring fresh cylinders along with you to each stop, and exchange the clean ones for the ones filled with recovered gas. any profit made in doing so goes to you. Each shop would be visited say every two weeks or so, but could also call your guys' cell phone to do an emergency swap if needed, specifically during busy times when two weeks might not be enough.
    Wait, Brain fart. .....what if you could mass produce "refrigerant bags", liketrash bags only better. They come folded up real nice in boxes, and we carry them on the truck. We pay say....ten bucks a dozen. We recover the gas and press the little tab to identify what gas is inside. We then place them in "refrigerant recalamation dumpsters", located around our cities. you run a big old box truck and pick them up at each site. We actually pay you for the bags, and you keep the profits from reclamation. For any of these services to work, you also give us a "preferred" price on refrigerant purchases, say twenty percent off the going rate.

As a wholesaler, we exchange full recovery tanks for empty recovery tanks for a nominal fee per cylinder. Approx **** per 50# tank. The transaction is similar to an acetylene or nitrogen exchange. We would prefer to accept the full tanks only from customers that normally purchase their refrigerant from us. It doesn't really benefit us to accept tanks from anyone else. It's more of a convenience factor for our regular customers that we offer this service. There is no credit issued for the recovered refrigerant. We ship the full tanks off to a true "recovery center". I couldn't say what they do with it from there.

No pricing in posts please.

Thanks,

Mod team
    Last edited by k-fridge; 12-28-2010 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abcohvacr View Post
    As a wholesaler, we exchange full recovery tanks for empty recovery tanks for a nominal fee per cylinder. Approx **** per 50# tank. The transaction is similar to an acetylene or nitrogen exchange. We would prefer to accept the full tanks only from customers that normally purchase their refrigerant from us. It doesn't really benefit us to accept tanks from anyone else. It's more of a convenience factor for our regular customers that we offer this service. There is no credit issued for the recovered refrigerant. We ship the full tanks off to a true "recovery center". I couldn't say what they do with it from there.

Thanks,

Mod team
    They make beer out of it duh!
    “It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are.”

- E.E. Cummings

Quote Originally Posted by Abcohvacr View Post

Thanks,

Mod team
    Hand Slap

depending on the mix that is returned some can be separated but it's more of a process and it costs a lot of money

And to Beachtech...I'm new to the Reclamation world and I'm working with putting a program together that helps with the recovery and return. The reason I came here is because I want to hear it from you all on how it is. I can make the program actually work if I actually talk to the end user. If I talk to a distributor they say one thing and reclaim centers say another.

I'm trying to put incentives out there for the cylinder returns such as a free cylinder exchange every so often, credits for the exchange, etc.
    for i hope you say who you are, and i do hope this works out for our industry. incentive to me would to be drop off the old drum full and get a new one, no hassles, no charges. Am certainly doing my part to not mix refrigerants in one drum!

it's always been a PITA to properly dispose of waste refrigerant, least in my neck of the woods.

all the effort to that has left us with such a crappy system to handle old refrigerant, if that effort was put forth to obtaining industry wide standards for installation practices, and proper procedures and checks and balances, far less damage would be done to the environment IMO i.e. the system that was installed improperly and consumes twice the electricity it should be.

when you said

So no one here recycles r-22?
    that's a nice insult, not just personally, but to the industry. we are all professionals here, and it is our duty properly handle waste refrigerant.
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast