After reading many posts I have come to the conclusion that, while many of the professionals have one or two favorite brands, most agree that there are many acceptable brands and that consumers should be more focused on the experience and reputation of the contractor and the quality of the installation.

That said, are there any manufacturers of HVAC equipment that have a history of financial instability or are currently having troubles? Are there certain manufacturers that are more or less difficult to work with on warranty issues?

DocHoliday provided me with good advice on what type of equipment to go with on a new house. Now I need to identify a manufacturer who will be there for the next 10 years.

I appreciate your responses.

From what I've seen here in the South, Trane, Bryant, and Carrier will be around for a very long time. And if I remember right, Trane has the longest available factory warranty.
    "If you can't fix it, don't break it."

if carrier is still around, so will be bryant. it's the same company. (united technologies, ticker symbol TXC on the nyse)

rheem/ruud will be here

american std./trane will be here

lennox, who knows what dave will do?

goodman/amana/janitrol, who cares?

give me a gas guzzling chrysler airtemp, anyday. as long as its safe. sorry, no longer available.